Question Automated Backups

I have a dedicated server that only has around 3-4gb of data on it. I would like to do automated nightly backups for as cheap as possible. I don't want to pay to have my server managed just to be able to have automated backups, so what other solutions do I have? I know I can get really cheap storage from Amazon or Mosso, but is there a way to automate this?

Quote Originally Posted by schooglepets View Post
    I have a dedicated server that only has around 3-4gb of data on it. I would like to do automated nightly backups for as cheap as possible. I don't want to pay to have my server managed just to be able to have automated backups, so what other solutions do I have? I know I can get really cheap storage from Amazon or Mosso, but is there a way to automate this?
    If you have a cPanel box, you can configure cpBackup to compress every user in your /home and remote FTP each tarball to another box, if you've got one.

Can cpBackup be configured to work with Mosso or Amazon?

It works with FTP, so if Amazon supplies you with a FTP account, yes.

I also saw JungleDisk, not sure how well suited that is for server backups.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post

Agreed.

I don't see anything about FTP on either Mosso or Amazon, I may be missing something though.

Another option (but not free though) could be to rent a VPS somewhere, with little amount of RAM but enough diskspace and traffic to serve as backup storage.

Then you can run an ftp service on that VPS and use the built-in backup to FTP options in cPanel or DirectAdmin + you can use the VPS also to manage backup nameservers and mx failover if you want to go all the way

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    As far as I know amazon does not use FTP. There are command line application to upload files to s3 storage. It would require a bit of coding to automate the entire process but might be worth it.
    Would you just look at that...

Well I was looking for a fairly simple solution, I guess I'll just get some NAS backup and use the cPanel backup with it.

Have a look at this thread, basically discussing the same thing http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=853966
    Matthew McCormick
    Director of Customer Care
    www.caro.net
    mmccormick@carohosting.com