Dual DNS really works??

i have a domain with me..and the site is live..some times the HELM panel hosted site never responds..so i have a hosting panel of c panel i have uploaded the same site in c panel as i cannot change the dns frequently so can i put all the primary and secondary for HELM and 3 and 4 for c panel... do my site and mail service will work>>?? its something like pointing the dns to the 2 different hosting panel or the hosting service..because dns propagation take a long delay it really Hurts..

The dns it goes to is based on which one responds the fastest and whichever is in the cache, it is not always sequential. So if may go to ns3/ns4 even if ns1/ns2 is up just because they respond faster or are cached from a previous access.

You would need to have a load balancer or health checker handle this, otherwise it will make a mess with mysql & email going between the servers.
    PlatinumServerManagement (also known as PSM)
    The OLDEST and LARGEST and MOST TRUSTED server management provider in the USA, with 15+ employees and growing!
    Providing quality support for OVER 14 years! Currently supporting over 3,000 servers monthly!

www.PlatinumServerManagement.com Proud member of the NJ BBB & Chamber of Commerce, and Authorized Cpanel Partner.

What you are trying to do is not going to work like you want it to. There are a few solutions -> find a more reliable hosting provider or -> pay quite a bit of money for a load-balanced fail-safe setup.

Being that you are hosting yourself, it doesn't say much about your quality of service if you can't keep your own site online so you may not want to post things like this in such a public way as anybody looking at your company in the future can and probably will stumble across this post.

Good luck.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting, LLC - Professional Hosting Solutions
    LiteSpeed Powered - Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    For high-end shared accounts ideal for business, check out our Premium offerings!
    http://www.mddhosting.com/ - Providing Quality Services since 2007

Cool

In 100% agreement with the above, you just painted a target on your site...I'd suggest you move to a regular host ASAP...the 5 to 10 bucks is worth not having your current set-up hacked to pieces or worse viruses & stuff inserted you never know you have. (and a decent host will immediatly solve the DNS problems)
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

Yes, you can normally put many server names in DNS information (depends upon how many entries facility registrar has provided) as secondary. But be sure that site and all email addresses are properly created on every server. Servers in DNS details will serve your site on priority basis from top to bottom.

Then if primary server is failed, your site will automatically start responding from next mentioned server.

Quote Originally Posted by David Anderson View Post
    Yes, you can normally put many server names in DNS information (depends upon how many entries facility registrar has provided) as secondary. But be sure that site and all email addresses are properly created on every server. Servers in DNS details will serve your site on priority basis from top to bottom.

Then if primary server is failed, your site will automatically start responding from next mentioned server.
    It doesn't exactly work like that although it would be ideal if it did.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting, LLC - Professional Hosting Solutions
    LiteSpeed Powered - Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    For high-end shared accounts ideal for business, check out our Premium offerings!
    http://www.mddhosting.com/ - Providing Quality Services since 2007

Balancing the database between servers is never trivial, so this is quite a complex setup you're thinking of here.

You can balance the sites files and mail files with rsync, but the databases take more work.
    VPSVille.com
    Toronto, London, Dallas, Los Angeles
    Quality VPS hosting on Premium bandwidth

8. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Related Posts from theWHIR.com