hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Ecommerce Hosting & Discussion : payment gateway vs merchant account

Forum Jump

payment gateway vs merchant account

Reply Post New Thread In Ecommerce Hosting & Discussion Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Master

payment gateway vs merchant account

Could someone please explain the difference between these? Do you need both or just one or the other as cdgcommerce say they act as a payment gateway and deposit the money into your merchant account. Can you use them with a normal bank account as i don't think i'd be making the $10,000 odd $$$ per month needed for a merchant account.

Regards,
Peter

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Roughly speaking; a payment gateway is simply where the buyer goes to the payment gateway's website to pay you (i.e. PayPal standard payments take you to PayPal.com to pay), whilst with a Merchant Account you can usually accept Credit Card payments via your website (and then you pass the CC details onto the mechant and they process them).

Old
Web Hosting Master

You just need one, though a merchant account is good to have if you can afford it because it shows you are more established and builds trust with your customers.

Sponsored Links
Old

I would check out PayLeap.

They offer a payment gateway and a merchant account all in one package with very competitive rates.

This simplifies the entire process cutting out the middle man and third-party resellers.

Old
Junior Guru

I agree that one should be enough, but having more then one can also be better.

Old
Web Hosting Master

You need both, the merchant account is provided by you Bank and as example, AuthorizeNet is a payment gateway, which makes the "connection" between your billing system to your merchant account.

DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Old
Junior Guru

Hi

check this, you will get an idea..

Old
Web Hosting Master

I'm thinking i'll just use paypal. seems a lot easier

Old
Web Hosting Master

Paypal is too heavy on cost though. You might get better rates and service from a reputated bank in your country.

Old
Backup Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by smenkhare View Post
Could someone please explain the difference between these?
The payment gateway handles the transaction, and then the proceeds are put into a merchant account. You need both, but most payment gateways will help you set up the merchant account.

A company like MerchantPlus makes the process fairly easy:
http://www.merchantplus.com/

*** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Old
Web Hosting Master

If for example I go with merchantplus, do my customers get redirected to their site or can they enter all their details on my site?

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Hello,

As bqinternet stated a merchant account is needed to use a payment gateway. Think of a retail terminal in your local store. That terminal is really a gateway. A gateway really is just an interface between the customer and the merchants processor. Also from what I have seen with many customers is that once you reach about that 1k a month in sales it becomes more costly to use paypal than a merchant account and gateway. Please also note that there are many merchant account providers out there and they all have gateways they offer. Some gateway will cost you per month and per transaction, some do not. The biggest thing to check before you sign anything is "Does the gateway they offer work with my software".

CDG Commerce

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Paypal payment gateway that takes you directly to paypal.com where the buyer goes to the payment gateway's website to pay you, and with a Merchant Account you can usually accept Credit Card payments via your website, then you pass the Credit Card (CC) details onto the merchant and then they process them.

Old
Junior Guru

Hi

you want directly accept CC in your site? i think www.authorize.net will provide this..

Old

If you do start start doing a decent amount of monthly sales, you should consider a merchant account because the fees are usually 1-3% less.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Bitnet Technologies Raises $14.5M to Build Its Enterprise-Focused Bitcoin Payment Platform Web Hosting News 2014-10-20 16:58:01
Miva Merchant Gives Ecommerce Customers Tool to Award Social Shoppers with Cash Rebates Web Hosting News 2014-08-15 13:19:20
Newtek Web Hosting Listing 2014-10-22 09:44:31
Newtek Web Hosting Listing 2014-10-22 09:44:33
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup – August 2, 2013 Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 15:42:54