Review / Warning about nationvoice

Just wanted to post about my unfortunate experiences about nationvoice ventrilo service. I know I've been burned and am never gonna recover my money. I am just making sure others do not go through the trouble with them.

I was relatively happy with my ventrilo services. I purchased for a year long block paying through paypal. Service was good 99% uptime as promised but there were some hiccups like extreme lag maybe two or three times a year but nothing like that.

I also went through a couple tickets with them changing my ventrilo configuration and they responded to that relatively quickly. I also like their control panel software immensely since it lets you setup admin rights to other users so they can restart the server/ change slots/ codecs without issues something that is lacking from a few other ventrilo providers I have used.

Here is my beef with them though. Their billing system is ludicrous.

If you pay through paypal they set it up so they you automatically rebill through paypal and keep sending payments to them (which they will not refund) even if you cancel the service with them.

IE. There is no way to stop paypal from sending payments to them through their website so if you cancel on their end you are gonna get billed unless you cancel through paypal as well.

This is in their TOS including ($150 penalty if you do any chargeback through your credit card which I am lucky enough to have avoided thanks to paypal)

and this is from their FAQ:

How do I cancel my service?

Your service with Nation Voice Communications, Inc. can be canceled by simply sending an e-mail to billing@nationvoice.com or opening a cancellation support ticket with your client information. Please ensure when canceling that you send your e-mail to the proper address or department with Cancel in the text of the subject line. Sending a request to another e-mail address may go unnoticed. Sending multiple requests, to multiple places may cause confusion, and delay, or otherwise hinder the cancellation process, if you send in a request, and do not receive an answer within 24 hours, then feel free to resubmit the request, and note the time/date of the original request. Nation Voice Communication honors ALL cancellation requests within the same 24 hour guarantee that we give to technical support tickets. We cannot stress enough the importance of canceling your Pay Pal subscription if that is your method of payment; we DO NOT refund monies paid to us from "Un-Canceled" subscriptions.

This does not apply to me since I cancelled the day I got rebilled but nonetheless I don't think anyone can argue that these business practices are shady.

So I am just giving fair waring to everyone else.

It also stings that I got burned by paying for an extra year ($220) instead of an extra month.
    Last edited by hammerman; 05-20-2009 at 04:12 AM.

Ive found that a lot of hosts dont refund "Un-Canceled" subscriptions, which is why I prefer to pay manually on the invoice day.
    Bullsoft Hosting - Personal and Small Business Web Hosting
    UK Servers - Founded in 2008!
    24/7 Ticket Support ● 30 Day Money Back Guarantee ● Daily Off-site Backups ● CloudFlare ● Softaculous ● RVSiteBuilder
    www.bullsofthosting.co.uk

That's a pretty bad policy. Someone sends you money, by mistake, which doesn't belong to you shouldn't be kept. If it's not your money, the least that can be done is return the money to the rightful owner. They didn't earn that money - they shouldn't be keeping it.

Quote Originally Posted by TomBullock View Post
    Ive found that a lot of hosts dont refund "Un-Canceled" subscriptions, which is why I prefer to pay manually on the invoice day.
    Not a bad idea. My main problem issue is they have no problem setting up the paypal payments just by going to their site. But when you have to cancel you have to cancel it twice. Also when you cancel through the nationvoice site nowhere does it warn your that you have to go through paypal at all. I had to dig through their FAQ to figure this out.

It seems like they want people to make this same mistake and then just take these extra paypal payments or /CC payments and then add a $150 fee on top if you try to do a chargeback.

I have found another host for way cheaper (~40% less) if paid yearly and they offer a 30 day money back guarantee so I guess this kind of a blessing in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by IH-Rameen View Post
    That's a pretty bad policy. Someone sends you money, by mistake, which doesn't belong to you shouldn't be kept. If it's not your money, the least that can be done is return the money to the rightful owner. They didn't earn that money - they shouldn't be keeping it.
    Couldnt agree more.
    They know from the cancellation on their system that the user is no longe using their services so they should keep that money.

I think WHMCS added a feature in v4 that when you cancel a product that is tied to a subscription, it automatically cancels the subcription in PayPal aswel. (Im not sure if its true, I heard a topic on it in the forums so it might just have been a suggestion)
    24/7 Ticket Support ● 30 Day Money Back Guarantee ● Daily Off-site Backups ● CloudFlare ● Softaculous ● RVSiteBuilder

Personally, I don't see anything they did as wrong..They clearly state how to cancel the services and they also clearly stress the fact that you must cancel your PayPal subscription within your PayPal account. Most companies add extra payments as credit only, so it's not uncommon not to refund them, especially when they have everything in writting.

I always make sure to cancel any subscription I don't want to continue anymore myself.
    HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
    Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
    RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee U.S.A Based & Operated
    Read Through Our Most F.A.Q's!

Quote Originally Posted by HostLeet View Post
    Personally, I don't see anything they did as wrong..They clearly state how to cancel the services and they also clearly stress the fact that you must cancel your PayPal subscription within your PayPal account.
    Yeh, I suppose you do have a responsibility to cancel in PayPal but I think its better for the hosts reputation etc to refund money that has been sent by mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by HostLeet View Post
    Personally, I don't see anything they did as wrong..They clearly state how to cancel the services and they also clearly stress the fact that you must cancel your PayPal subscription within your PayPal account. Most companies add extra payments as credit only, so it's not uncommon not to refund them, especially when they have everything in writting.

I always make sure to cancel any subscription I don't want to continue anymore myself.
    I would be ok with it if they say you must cancel through paypal when you actually hit cancel through their website but that is not the case.

When I hit the cancel button all it says that your services will be suspended immediately (even though everything is prepaid) which is another thing that is wrong with them.

CANCEL #1
    When i hit cancel through there website this is verbatim what I got

"Ticket has been closed, service has been automatically suspended and will be inserted into the Auto-Delete queue in 48 hours. You may however restore your services within the next 48 hours by viewing this ticket in your Customer Service panel."

No mention about paypal or anything else.
    Funny thing is when I cancelled through paypal I get another message from them

AFTER CANCEL #2 (through paypal)
    "Your paypal subscription has been canceled. Please contact Support@NationVoice.com to get your account un-suspended

Please keep in mind that out TOS (Terms of Service) clearly states that any customer who cancels his/her own paypal subscription, will effectively cancel their account by doing so. If you did not mean to cancel this account, please respond to this ticket so we can re-open your paypal subscription and get your server back online for you. If we do not hear a response from you within 24 hours, we will accept this as a valid account cancellation and your account will be canceled."

So obviously they know the minute I cancelled through paypal.

The fact they they don't let paypal know as soon as I cancel through the nationvoice website is beyond me.
    Last edited by hammerman; 05-20-2009 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hammerman View Post
    I would be ok with it if they say you must cancel through paypal when you actually hit cancel through their website but that is not the case.

When I hit the cancel button all it says that your services will be suspended immediately (even though everything is prepaid) which is another thing that is wrong with them.

CANCEL #1
    When i hit cancel through there website this is verbatim what I got

"Ticket has been closed, service has been automatically suspended and will be inserted into the Auto-Delete queue in 48 hours. You may however restore your services within the next 48 hours by viewing this ticket in your Customer Service panel."

No mention about paypal or anything else.

"Your paypal subscription has been canceled. Please contact Support@NationVoice.com to get your account un-suspended

Please keep in mind that out TOS (Terms of Service) clearly states that any customer who cancels his/her own paypal subscription, will effectively cancel their account by doing so. If you did not mean to cancel this account, please respond to this ticket so we can re-open your paypal subscription and get your server back online for you. If we do not hear a response from you within 24 hours, we will accept this as a valid account cancellation and your account will be canceled."

So obviously they know the minute I cancelled through paypal.

The fact they they don't let paypal know as soon as I cancel through the nationvoice website is beyond me.
    Yes, they should at least mention it in the cancellation confirmation email they send out. I don't agree with their policy to cancel your service if you cancel your Paypal subscription, though. Many people do this by accident and don't notice or PayPal will automatically do it if you edit your credit card/bank account info.
    HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
    Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
    RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee U.S.A Based & Operated
    Read Through Our Most F.A.Q's!

Quote Originally Posted by hammerman View Post

Wow. That paragraph alone is really bad business. Unless I have an iron-clad contract with a start date and end date, I don't want a "subscription." I want to be invoiced, I want to pay. If I don't pay, cancel my account, sure, but don't force me to keep a running third-party "subscription" in order to enjoy your services. The operative word is "force."

That's bad form, IMO.
    Last edited by railleur; 05-20-2009 at 09:15 PM.

They've actually just changed how that works a few months ago.

Dear Tyler,

Your account (NV3xxxx) with NationVoice.com has been set for auto delete on 06/07/2009.

Reason:
    Your paypal subscription was canceled and therefore your account will remain online for the remaining pre-paid time. Thank You for using NationVoice. Please keep in mind that out TOS (Terms of Service) clearly states that any customer who cancels his/her own paypal subscription, will effectively cancel their account by doing so. If you did not mean to cancel this account, please respond to this ticket so we can re-open your paypal subscription and get your account restored to active status.

We value our customers feedback at all times. If you are un-happy or have any questions about your service, then please contact Support@NationVoice.com or Contact@NationVoice.com with your questions or concerns and we will do what we can to resolve it. You may also open a support ticket by visiting the "Contact Support" link within your NationVoice Customer Control Center.

Thank You,
    NationVoice Customer Service
    $this->hasFlavr() ? $nom->nom('nom') : $want->doNot()

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
    They've actually just changed how that works a few months ago.
    OK, so they give you until the end of your paid status. Still, it looks like they force you to have a subscription from their terminology:

"If you did not mean to cancel this account, please respond to this ticket so we can re-open your paypal subscription and get your account restored to active status."

I don't like that at all. They're telling me not only that I must pay -fair enough, I must pay for their services- but also HOW I must pay.

Nope. Don't like it.

I will agree, I don't like that part about them, and they haven't changed that (to my knowledge)
    $this->hasFlavr() ? $nom->nom('nom') : $want->doNot()