Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    unless you happen to be Visa... or any of the credit card companies. I assure you a single percentage downtime on their systems will lose them multi-millions.
      0 Not allowed!

how many of you who offer 99% uptime magically monitor for any little downtime and send out checks to your clients? I'm sure you too wait for them to report a problem.
      0 Not allowed!

My free web host has about 200 now, and its been around for about 2 months, with about 2 weeks downtime.
      0 Not allowed!

Hello
    We are considering offering 100% uptime guarantee for sites on special load balanced server clusters.
    The file swould be on one server, databases on other servers with mutliple web and FTP servers doing the delivery.
    It will be expensive to provide and will cost a lot of money , but it is possible to get close to 100%, look at Yahoo.

Anyway on the hosting clients, it depends who you count.

We actively host 8841 web sites and have another 2000 or so parked domains.
    This has taken just over 2 years and we add 3 to 5 (net of cancellations) per day.

Gordon
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd
    View my Professional Profile: www.gordonhudson.com
      0 Not allowed!

The file swould be on one server, databases on other servers with mutliple web and FTP servers doing the delivery.
    This is a simpler form of what Hostopia does. They go one step further and global load balance between two DCs. They have had a few outages.

but it is possible to get close to 100%, look at Yahoo.
    They also lost millions when the DDOS attack knocked them doen for ~3 hours.

Close to 100% is not 100%.
      0 Not allowed!

Close to 100% is not 100%.
    Irrelevant because what we would be offering would be an Insurance Policy against down time underwritten by an insurer.
    i.e. we could have down time but customers would recieve substantial compensation.
    Just like all those "my MLM site has been down for 5 minutes and I have lost $20,000 in sales" customers want.

of course thats exactly the sort of customer who wont be prepared to pay for such a service but we may end up offering it.

Gordon
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd
      0 Not allowed!

ANYONE can offer 100% uptime. Server uptime, network uptime, whatever uptime. YOU can offer GUARANTEED 100% uptime -- simply spell out what the remedy is if you fail to meet that guarantee.

If someone is paying you $24.95 for shared hosting, and you're down an hour during the month, that's a whopping 4 cent refund.
    I thank my Lord for all His wonderful blessings.
      0 Not allowed!

It would depend on what the terms of the contratc were but we are talking $100 per month price range and payouts in the $1000's if necessary properly underwritten by an insurer.

Gordon
      0 Not allowed!

Sounds promising.
    Europhase UK Limited - XEN/OpenVZ UK/US Virtual Private Servers | R1Soft Backups for Web Hosts
    Custom R1Soft Backups | UK/US Web Hosting | UK/US Virtual Private Servers
    99.9% Uptime SLA | Non Overloaded Service | Guaranteed Ram / Resources
    Company: SC345142 VAT: GB-947754180 Tel: 0870 4710 895
      0 Not allowed!

we now offer 1000000% uptime guarantee*

*Please note: in the event of server downtime, all uptime guarantee's are null and void.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12