* All Wht Members, Join This...

Ok, www.projectdolphin.net is a community of teams. You score points by typing the most. All you do is register and download a program which stays in your task bar, and counts how many key press'es you have. It the pulses the server. And your rank and team rank is updated.

If we all joined it would be wicked, so i have created the team, 'WebHostingTalk'.

Please join everyone, we could do really well...

If you would like to join, login into yuo account on the site, and Click 'Join Team'. The password is chicken.

If you can, use the same name on Project-dolphin as on WHT, so people can see who's who. Come one, lets Join, check out the site for more info..

Chicken, join...ur influence will make others join.

Matt

Check out the current team stuff here:

http://project-dolphin.net/cgi-bin/b...am&TeamID=2403

I'll join

nice one darth, if we get the Massive members around here, like you, akash, others etc etc...of and we want Aussie Bob..hes just cool then others will join too...

Sign Up is temporarily disabled while we install a mail server and turn email account activiation back on

damn, they said that about 2 days ago...so it should be sorted now..hmm

Members fomr the best WebHost forum, www.webhostingtalk.com
    Might want to change that spelling.

Anyways, I'll join!

Done, and 1 new member..hehe...we are on our way up..

Well, I've been a member of Project Dolphin since July or so, yet I haven't been very active lately...

Anywho... I just joined this team.
    -Bruce

I used to do this - but seeing as I dont have a PC anymore I cant

Somebody Make a Mac Client!

asif
    retroHOST - Affordable, Reliable Web Hosting.
    e: [email protected]
    w: www.retroHOST.biz

No, no, no!

Join these guys:

http://project-dolphin.net/cgi-bin/b...team&TeamID=87

We must rise from 3rd place!

(There was almost an acronym clash and the Bureau of Arsian Distributed Computing Team Standardized Naming had to be called in I believe)

See also the 10 page long thread here:

http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenT...824#8200944824

Go Team Smoked Bacon!

somehow i dont like the idea of some program monitoring every single key press...
    www.24y.co.uk - Fast Professional UK Web Hosting

Acronym, your a trater to WHT

Xstrike, its safe...

" Sign Up is temporarily disabled while we install a mail server and turn email account activiation back on "
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Originally posted by mcfcforever

Xstrike, its safe...
    It's xtstrike!

but I'm with him on this one....I haven't visited the site yet, but when I get some more free time later this week I'll look into it

typing in bank details, vpn passwords, router passwords, shell passwords, root passwords, remote reboot passwords, web site login details, WHT moderator passwords, web side administration passwords, domain passwords, e-mail passwords, pin numbers, need I go on...

Call me paranoid but it seems like a bad idea, unless the program thats distributed comes with freely available source code that I can review and compile myself
    www.24y.co.uk - Fast Professional UK Web Hosting

Originally posted by xtstrike
    typing in bank details, vpn passwords, router passwords, shell passwords, root passwords, remote reboot passwords, web site login details, WHT moderator passwords, web side administration passwords, domain passwords, e-mail passwords, pin numbers, need I go on...

Call me paranoid but it seems like a bad idea, unless the program thats distributed comes with freely available source code that I can review and compile myself
    when you put it like that....

Well i guess your right, but its too late for me now so i will go on..also millions of otehrs have been okay with it..

Matt

This is directly from their Privacy Policy (http://project-dolphin.net/?p=pulse_privacy_policy):

It is the intent of Pulse to transmit the following information to project-dolphin.net on a basis whose periodicity is decided by the user through Pulse's configuration menus:
    user's account name as provided by user
    user's password for Project Dolphin as provided by user
    one integer that represents the total number of keys typed since last contact with project-dolphin.net for the same purpose
    the current time (represented by the number of seconds elapsed since midnight, 1 Jan 1970 UTC), according to the system clock on the user's computer

What it is guaranteed Pulse does not record, collect, or transmit to this server or any other destination:
    which keys the user types, with exception to the analysis of the very last key hit, in order to decide if it is a key that "counts" as a key being hit
    the contents of the user's hard drive or any other attached or internal or external storage device that may hold any type of data
    anything on the user's screen
    I guess there's no other way then to trust them.

Originally posted by xtstrike
    somehow i dont like the idea of some program monitoring every single key press...
    Doesnt monitor, just count. edit: progex beat me to it by two mins

How do you know Kazaa doesnt? Or Trillian? Or Office? Or SETI?

No, they just had a team for much longer than WHT did.

Originally posted by Acronym BOY

Doesnt monitor, just count. edit: progex beat me to it by two mins

How do you know Kazaa doesnt? Or Trillian? Or Office? Or SETI?

No, they just had a team for much longer than WHT did.
    True, Acronym, join the webhostingtalk one then..

Matt

1- this is nothing better then a trojan
    2- wtf is the point lol. its not looking for aliens or curing cancer?

i believe my somewhat uncommunity spirited response is hell no. lol.
    --
    Rich

richy, lol, i agree there is no point to it exactly..but the feeling to put WHT at the top would be great

yup and give out the root passwords to loadsa hosts servers lol.
    --
    Rich

lol richy

True, Acronym, join the webhostingtalk one then..

Matt
    First, I spend much more time at Ars and have a post count much higher there, second, I have already signed up under Ars and registrtation is down, so I cant re-register (which I think is required to switch teams). Plus the dutch must be beat, we are beating them in SETI as well as several DC projects, but they are destroying us in Project Dolphin, so I'm really trying to concentrate on getting my friends on Ars' team, even though its not an official part of the Ars Food Court.

Originally posted by richy
    2- wtf is the point lol. its not looking for aliens or curing cancer?

i believe my somewhat uncommunity spirited response is hell no. lol.
    But it doesnt suck CPU time away from otehr DC projects, it uses very little, I believe every 500 key strokes is under 1 seconds of CPU time, and that the program, be it Word, IE, or your fav text editor, requires more resources than the program counting what you type.

Its a nice comparison in that teams with DC farms which are unused except for CPU crunching wont be able to rack up key strokes, but people who dont have dedicated boxes for crunching will have a higher key stroke to WU ratio (or the like).

Originally posted by Acronym BOY
    I have already signed up under Ars and registrtation is down, so I cant re-register (which I think is required to switch teams).
    I'm not saying you should, but you can leave a team and then join another with the same account. I know this because I have.
    -Bruce

Originally posted by Phrozen
    I'm not saying you should, but you can leave a team and then join another with the same account. I know this because I have.
    I will split my time than, I will spend a it for WHT and a bit for Ars, though my posts are nomally much longer over there (heh, BF and SB)

lol ok so it doesnt use cpu time, but again whats the point, and its a blatant security hole lol.
    --
    Rich

Originally posted by richy
    lol ok so it doesnt use cpu time, but again whats the point, and its a blatant security hole lol.
    More people use Kazaa, or Bonzi Buddy, or other software that is documented to record what you do and report back to "the mothership". This program doesnt.

Whats the point of the stupid flash things that are constantly posted in the Lounge here?