Private domain name registration?

Hi! This is my first post so I apologize for the newbie question. i'm about ready to purchase my first domain name. Is the private domain name registration worth it????

Thanks!

Personally, unless you have specific, out of the ordinary, needs for privacy, I don't think it's something worth paying extra for.

You can be as vague or inaccurate as you want to, really, when you register domains -- just be sure that the email address listed is one where you will actually see the mail at least every couple of weeks.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

I got it and love it.
    Less junk mail and spam.
    Less telemarketing calls.
    No, it is not me!
    No, I did not do it!

JayC- "vague or inaccurate " meaning on my domain info I can put my initials instead of my full name? or my address, but not cmpletely?
    PixelOptik

PixelOptik, this is the thing: if you're talking about ICANN-regulated tld's, each of the registrars has an agreement with ICANN that requires them to get "complete and accurate" information from you. And that agreement also says that if you don't provide that information, and don't reply to a request to provide it should they ask, your registration can be cancelled.

That's why my earlier advice was to be sure that you use at least a valid email address where you'll see any "official" mail.

So, like many things, your question can be answered in a couple of different ways. "Can you?" Yes, you can, and in practical terms you'd probably never run into any problem doing so -- and many people do that, or similar things. But, you will probably technically be in violation of your agreement with the registrar if you do so.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

ok, gotcha! thanks thing is I've seen that on a "whois" search some people dont have their address,etc show up. How can I get the same thing? Doesnt godaddy allow you to change how or what info shows up?
    PixelOptik

on godaddy you pay 6.95 extra and get the domains by proxy.com addon. i use it

Originally posted by JayC
    PixelOptik, this is the thing: if you're talking about ICANN-regulated tld's, each of the registrars has an agreement with ICANN that requires them to get "complete and accurate" information from you. And that agreement also says that if you don't provide that information, and don't reply to a request to provide it should they ask, your registration can be cancelled.
    This is very true. One thing lots of people seem to do is use a PO Box type address in their domain registrations in an effort to redirect the resulting junk (snail) mail.

With regards to the email address, that is, as JayC said, a very important piece of the pie to keep on the up and up. You never know when your registrar may need to reach you for a legitimate reason, one you wouldn't want to miss. Here though, you'll see that more experienced registrants will create an email address specifically for the registration purpose, something like [email protected]'. That gives you the ability to easily filter that incoming email into a folder of its own, and still be reachable by the registrar when it is necessary, like at renewal time.
    Premium Web Site Hosting, Design
    and Domain Name Registrations

http://SteadmanTech.com/