hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : moving hosts

Forum Jump

moving hosts

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

moving hosts

I have a website and forum in the UK. In the forum posters have been critical of an organization who have threatened defamation and my host is "shitting bricks" and is threatening take down the site though he hasn't passed on the allegations. My question is are there a list of web hosts that would host my site that is out with the reach of UK lawyers and the spiteful person who is pursuing me?
Thanks for any replies

Sponsored Links
Old
Premium Member

What is the forum about?

Old
Disabled

Why dont you get a dedicated server with a colo provider. They will provision your server and you can pay monthly. All liablity for content should reside with you.

Sponsored Links
Old

About

It is a fishing forum that is critical about the Association's committee and they don't like it robbieredball.co.uk

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingsolutions View Post
Why dont you get a dedicated server with a colo provider. They will provision your server and you can pay monthly. All liablity for content should reside with you.
I don't know what a colo provider is I would prefer a hosting company

Old
Aspiring Evangelist

I am not sure who your host is, but the burden of proof on the lawyer to prove that the site should be taken down would generally require a court order. i don;t think you should have trouble finding a host that would allow your content on their servers. (At least until a formal legal action has been taken against the owner of the site.)

Old
Retired Moderator

Well, with a need like yours, I can't help but think of nearlyfreespeech.net. I also seem to recall that dreamhost was pretty firm about protecting a customer's right to express their opinions, unpopular as they may be (a neo-nazi site I think). I don't know of any actual list of hosts that specialize in controversial sites hosting.

Quote:
All liablity for content should reside with you.
I don't think that a dedicated server would necessarily be of much protection. The provider/data center can still be a wuss and cave in at the first threat of legal action.

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspkable View Post
I am not sure who your host is, but the burden of proof on the lawyer to prove that the site should be taken down would generally require a court order. i don;t think you should have trouble finding a host that would allow your content on their servers. (At least until a formal legal action has been taken against the owner of the site.)
Web Wiz.co.uk I hope they stand firm because they are good hosts

Old
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrobert View Post
I don't know what a colo provider is I would prefer a hosting company
It would be a company that operates within a data center and could provide you secure space for your own server, power, and bandwidth. You could have it managed or manage it yourself

Old
Web Hosting Master

Has anything formally been mailed to you?

Old
Web Hosting Master

Do you want a web host still in the UK, or would you mind a US host?

Old
Web Hosting Master

Honestly, your host shouldn't wuss out like he did. There is really no reason for it. Unless, of course, the content is not true, just libel.

Old

* libel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostLonestar-Randy View Post
Honestly, your host shouldn't wuss out like he did. There is really no reason for it. Unless, of course, the content is not true, just libel.
No it wasn't libel It seems like in the Uk if someone doesn't like what you say then they go to a lawyer - in this case he didn't use his own money - and the lawyer threatens action and the web host shits it and caves in

It is effectively blackmail I had just signed up with the company and have lost a year's money

Old

not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by txitcs View Post
Do you want a web host still in the UK, or would you mind a US host?
Preferably uk but it might not be possible The action was taken under Scots law and it was transferred to English law without being raised in an English court Basically the company which hsa a good name crapped it

Old

I tried to visit your site and it looks like the site is down. If you can't find any UK host its better to host it outside the country at the least! better to have any host then down time

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Yahoo Will Encrypt All Data Moving Between its Data Centers Web Hosting News 2013-11-18 16:16:19
HostGee Introduces Reseller Hosting Program Web Hosting News 2013-06-12 11:02:08
Posterous Shuts Down Today, Here Are Some Alternatives Blog 2013-04-30 17:26:02
Cloud Service Providers and Web Hosts Poised to Raise Game at HostingCon 2013 Web Hosting News 2013-04-02 15:53:25
Blacknight Lends a Hand to Users of Retiring Blog Platform Posterous Web Hosting News 2013-02-22 13:56:35