Thread: moving hosts

moving hosts

I have a website and forum in the UK. In the forum posters have been critical of an organization who have threatened defamation and my host is "shitting bricks" and is threatening take down the site though he hasn't passed on the allegations. My question is are there a list of web hosts that would host my site that is out with the reach of UK lawyers and the spiteful person who is pursuing me?
    Thanks for any replies

What is the forum about?

Why dont you get a dedicated server with a colo provider. They will provision your server and you can pay monthly. All liablity for content should reside with you.

About

It is a fishing forum that is critical about the Association's committee and they don't like it robbieredball.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by searchingsolutions View Post
    Why dont you get a dedicated server with a colo provider. They will provision your server and you can pay monthly. All liablity for content should reside with you.
    I don't know what a colo provider is I would prefer a hosting company

I am not sure who your host is, but the burden of proof on the lawyer to prove that the site should be taken down would generally require a court order. i don;t think you should have trouble finding a host that would allow your content on their servers. (At least until a formal legal action has been taken against the owner of the site.)
    - Donovan K
    Want to monitor and manage your customers Windows systems by Client software, web portal, or mobile phone?
    Automated scripts, patching, and remote access too? Ask me how!

Well, with a need like yours, I can't help but think of nearlyfreespeech.net. I also seem to recall that dreamhost was pretty firm about protecting a customer's right to express their opinions, unpopular as they may be (a neo-nazi site I think). I don't know of any actual list of hosts that specialize in controversial sites hosting.

All liablity for content should reside with you.
    I don't think that a dedicated server would necessarily be of much protection. The provider/data center can still be a wuss and cave in at the first threat of legal action.

Quote Originally Posted by dspkable View Post
    I am not sure who your host is, but the burden of proof on the lawyer to prove that the site should be taken down would generally require a court order. i don;t think you should have trouble finding a host that would allow your content on their servers. (At least until a formal legal action has been taken against the owner of the site.)
    Web Wiz.co.uk I hope they stand firm because they are good hosts

Quote Originally Posted by bobrobert View Post
    I don't know what a colo provider is I would prefer a hosting company
    It would be a company that operates within a data center and could provide you secure space for your own server, power, and bandwidth. You could have it managed or manage it yourself

Has anything formally been mailed to you?
    madgenius.com - S Corp. We are US based company.
    Web Hosting, Cloud VPS, and Dedicated Solutions since 1998
    Also offering custom solutions and automated provisioning for most services

Do you want a web host still in the UK, or would you mind a US host?

Honestly, your host shouldn't wuss out like he did. There is really no reason for it. Unless, of course, the content is not true, just libel.

* libel

Quote Originally Posted by HostLonestar-Randy View Post
    Honestly, your host shouldn't wuss out like he did. There is really no reason for it. Unless, of course, the content is not true, just libel.
    No it wasn't libel It seems like in the Uk if someone doesn't like what you say then they go to a lawyer - in this case he didn't use his own money - and the lawyer threatens action and the web host shits it and caves in

It is effectively blackmail I had just signed up with the company and have lost a year's money

not sure

Quote Originally Posted by txitcs View Post
    Do you want a web host still in the UK, or would you mind a US host?
    Preferably uk but it might not be possible The action was taken under Scots law and it was transferred to English law without being raised in an English court Basically the company which hsa a good name crapped it

I tried to visit your site and it looks like the site is down. If you can't find any UK host its better to host it outside the country at the least! better to have any host then down time
    SectorHost.com
    Quality Over Quantity

Well, you could always look into hosting somewhere on the east coast. New York, Florida, Georgia, those are a few places that come to mind when I think of DataCenters. The latency between the east coast and UK really isn't that much. How many concurrent users do you have on average?

Nearlyfreespeech have quite the reputation of standing up for client's rights. As they should.

I don't see why any host would cave in unless a legal letter was produced and a court order filed. Hell, we've received stuff in the past and simply put, the party has had more bark than bite. I guess a lot of hosts don't want to be dragged into a legal case or they don't understand the law fully enough.

Under English Law the service provider is seen as the 'Publisher' in the eyes of the law, which means it is the web site owner and the web host who are liable. This goes back to a case involving Deamon Internet in 1999 where someone posted some comments about an individual on a news group they hosted. The high court decided that as the hosting provider they where the 'Publisher' and they lost the case and had to pay over £200,000

The 2003 Communication Act made it clearer when the service provider is liable from as it is impossible for web site owners and web hosts to check every comment. Under this Act as soon as the service provider is notified with details about any defamatory information or copyrighted material on their servers or web site from that point they are liable and have to rectify the situation ASAP.

The other problem is that the liable laws in this country are very much on the side of the defendant, so much so that many foreign companies try to get liable cases heard here as they know they will win. If a casse goes to court to avoid loosing you need a mountain of written evidence to backup the claims, not just hear say and rumours.

Unfortunately all this means that in the UK we pretty much don't have any free speach on the Internet.