Deal : Steal or not Real **Catch somewhere**

While scanning through the net I came across this dinky little site. And for people with money i.e not me it seems quite the bargain. I mean Free Domain Name,
    9,000 MB Space
    5,000 POP 3 Email Accounts
    50,000 MB/Month Web Traffic
    (( Supporting over 5,000,000 hits ))
    Perl 5.6 / Full CGI Access / PHP 4.2.2
    MySQL 3.23
    Coldfusion supported on our Windows 2000 hosting
    and a 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    for the sum of $6.95 / month ??

http://smartconsumers.infinology.com/secrethosting.html

Deal-Steal-or Not Real (Catch somewhere) ?

Take a look and give some feedback

Cheers
    Last edited by Chicken; 11-02-2002 at 11:53 PM.

The catch is probably that they won't be around in 3 months time or they'll terminate your account if you go over 5 GIGS of transfer. I don't think they can get away with charging 0.139 per GIG of transfer, that would be excluding the costs for support systems and hardware.

Maybe they have a $500 setup fee or something...

If it seems too good to be true, it mostly is.

EDIT: http://smartconsumers.infinology.com/bas_hostc.htm

There a $50 setup fee and the $6.95 is for a 12 month commitment, otherwise it's $12.95 a month, which would roughly cover the transfer costs if it was purely Cogent based.
    Proud member of the RIAA closed quaters combat cell !!!
    You'd better drop that CD-R before I shoot you !!!

I wouldnt trust them as far as i could throw my mom. (Sorry ma)

I dont like the ideas of 'free domain' for signing up. It can cause to much trouble if you decide to switch hosting companies. They might claim the domain as their own, as they will likey be the registered owners of it.

I cant see them being around much more then a few months either.

I took a closer look and found that there is a $50 setup fee and you must be with them for 12 months if you want a free domain..

Also there site says :
    No wonder we are #1 on CNet's Most Popular Hosting Providers Comparison Listing for 22 straight weeks in a row!

Dose that mean anything ??? Cause I mean Cnet are a respected company arnt they ???

Cheers R : N

It means they've paid to advertise on Cnet for 22 straight weeks.

Heck of a selling point, eh?

So basically as long as companys hand the money to cnet they shall be on the top of there list ?? I guess that is the case alot of the time..

Unfortunatley it is

And with people trusting cnet I guess thats how these dodgy companys get there customers....i guess which is a shame because you kinda think who can be trusted

Originally posted by SpyModem
    I wouldnt trust them as far as i could throw my mom. (Sorry ma)
    If you throw her so she lands on her butt, she bounces and you get more distance.

Seriously, I would have to say that's too good to be true as well, since 9,000 MB of storage space = 9 GB of storage space. Now most people aren't even going to use remotely close to 9 GB of storage space, but some people are just because it's there. That's a big chunk of hard drive space to be giving away to one person at the expense of 10 or 15 others for $6.95 a month. And 50 GB transfer? All of a sudden, I hear the long-lost voice of Wayne Campbell: "SHAH! Ri-IGHT! And monkeys might fly out of my butt!"

In other words, way too good to be true.
    Is Canada the best? Noo Doot Aboot It!
    "And on the eighth...day...God...created...Mankind. WHY WAS HE HAVING SUCH A BAD DAY?" -- Mick Foley

Infinology sucks

Stay away from Infinology. I left them. There's several posts regarding Infinology within this forum. Horrible service, poor tech help, servers down without notice and no apologies.

Re: Deal : Steal or not Real **Catch somewhere**

Originally posted by Revex Nation

5,000 POP 3 Email Accounts

Now who's going to use all 5,000 pop accounts? Hmm, should gt an account, setup all those accounts and have everyone click send/receive on their respective email programs and see what happens.

Now, if they offered all that, AND threw in a free Llama, I'd sign!

Originally posted by I, Brian
    Now, if they offered all that, AND threw in a free Llama, I'd sign!

I not only want a llama, I want unlimited llama forwarding!!!
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; 11-03-2002 at 06:42 PM.
    Is Canada the best? Noo Doot Aboot It!
    "And on the eighth...day...God...created...Mankind. WHY WAS HE HAVING SUCH A BAD DAY?" -- Mick Foley