Question Most Important Part Of Coding A Hosting Template?

Hi Guys,

Few hours I bought my first hosting template and now I need to code it. The person seems to have a fantastic passion for design and coding, but she's asking for $150.00 for coding alone.

Is that to high of a price or is that the standard price for a great coded template?

What would you expect for $150?
    3-5 pages with PSD?
    Fully coded with xhtml/css?
    What else...missing something?

?

Thanks.

$150 is very reasonable.

If it's quality coding then go for it. That's a pretty decent price.

You can't really come to expect things when it comes to web design. Some designers charge thousands for their work, some don't, it really depends on the designer/coder.

Sounds like you have a good deal though, fork out $150 if you don't want to code it yourself
    DILIGENThost.com, Canadian hosting based on high-availability w/ 24/7 bilingual (French) support & 100% uptime -> Toll free phone support
    cPanel/WHM 11 + Fantastico, PHP4&5, Private nameservers, Unlimited domains & features, Self Serve DNS...Shared / Reseller / VPS / Dedicated | Webmasters-Inside.com - Come join our new webmaster forum!

Count in hours of work. If it's a 1 hour job, I would probably not (for the coding only), if it's something that takes a while, why not?

That's a fair price. I remember seeing a post on this forum a couple of days ago that there was someone offering cheap PSD->Xhtml CSS. It was like $15/page and a 48 hour turnaround

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=859039
    HostREA.com
    kirk[@]hostrea.com
    Shared / Reseller cPanel Web Hosting
    WHMCS Templates -Ready to go instant downloads.

do you have photoshop and dreamweaver? you can do it for free then. photoshop automaticly puts it in dreamweaver format * forgot the button* and organize what you want in dreamweaver
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeden View Post
    do you have photoshop and dreamweaver? you can do it for free then. photoshop automaticly puts it in dreamweaver format * forgot the button* and organize what you want in dreamweaver
    yea, and Photoshop html is crap (tables, nonstandard stuff all over the place, etc.). In my opinion, if you cannot afford to spend $150 on your site, you have no business getting into hosting in the first place.
    Cpanel/WHM PHP Perl Ruby Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

$ 150 is very reasonable and also quality coding......

Post One last dilligent point for the know-how dude...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Count in hours of work. If it's a 1 hour job, I would probably not (for the coding only), if it's something that takes a while, why not?
    That's what anyone hiring, in my opinion, should be dilligent with. 1 week/half ago I got my mini-split fixed without warranty coverage because of age of part, royalty two team guy charged me $125 when I could had gotten it for $85.00 for exactly the same replacement/same labor/same 90 day warranty - was satisfied, but it hit a nerve as this EXACT step-by-steo work could had been completed with same warranty and model for same price.

My point if some of you guys know the inside details:

As long as the site is uploaded and works in xhtml/css and I get a guarantee to work coding in my site from the coder, should I worry from details SPECIFIC details like; having a slow uploading site if hiring someone else, not having the site seen in FireFox and Explorer successfully?

Or is it just the same as long as it's fully coded in xhtml/css? If it isn't, I'll definitely make more dilligence on additional people - if it does matter I guess the intelligent choice would be to stay with the coder.

Your opinion?

THANKS.
    Last edited by LuckyAce; 05-06-2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: additional specifications for ease in answers

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyAce View Post
    That's what anyone hiring, in my opinion, should be dilligent with. 1 week/half ago I got my mini-split fixed without warranty coverage because of age of part, royalty two team guy charged me $125 when I could had gotten it for $85.00 for exactly the same replacement/same labor/same 90 day warranty - was satisfied, but it hit a nerve as this EXACT step-by-steo work could had been completed with same warranty and model for same price.

My point if some of you guys know the inside details:

As long as the site is uploaded and works in xhtml/css and I get a guarantee to work coding in my site from the coder, should I worry from details SPECIFIC details like; having a slow uploading site if hiring someone else, not having the site seen in FireFox and Explorer successfully?

Or is it just the same as long as it's fully coded in xhtml/css? If it isn't, I'll definitely make more dilligence on additional people - if it does matter I guess the intelligent choice would be to stay with the coder.

Your opinion?

THANKS.
    As a developer myself, I can tell you 2 things.

- Have the coder validate it via http://validator.w3.org and don't accept any excuses for it not validating (our site does)

- If it doesn't work properly in either Firefox or IE, they are a crappy developer. This is not the 1990's anymore. There is simply no excuse to ignore Firefox (approximately 20-25% market worldwide) or IE (most of the remainder lol).

That is all
    Cpanel/WHM PHP Perl Ruby Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

Quote Originally Posted by larwilliams View Post
    As a developer myself, I can tell you 2 things.

- Have the coder validate it via http://validator.w3.org and don't accept any excuses for it not validating (our site does)

- If it doesn't work properly in either Firefox or IE, they are a crappy developer. This is not the 1990's anymore. There is simply no excuse to ignore Firefox (approximately 20-25% market worldwide) or IE (most of the remainder lol).

That is all
    Thanks a lot, should be able to have this running this week as scheduled. Thank you a lot, check my PM.

Quote Originally Posted by larwilliams View Post
    This.

I smile when I see hosts getting errors, especially some who get 100s(!).

$150 is dirt cheap -- in fact, so cheap that you should be wary of its quality.

And not just "IE", but IE6, IE7 and IE8 -- they are NOT the same!!!
    Also Firefox, Chrome and Safari

Most "web developers" wouldn't pass a high school intro class in design or coding.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || New Editorial: HostGator Alternatives & Who is EIG?
    ||

Do you prefer xhtml/css coding or php?
    divs or table?

Whilst I validate my code, I know a lot of coders these days don't value the w3 validator as much (reading through various dev blogs anyway). I think it's fine if something doesn't validate but still works in all browsers efficiently, and doesn't validate for a logical reason.

Microsoft should pay coders everytime someone writes a site that works in their POS browsers, the amount of extra work required to make up for their mistakes is a major pain in the arse.
    Last edited by JayX; 05-07-2009 at 06:50 AM.

For a quality, xhtml/css coding $150 for 3-5 pages isn't too bad. It's hard to say exactly without seeing the design because obviously one design mite take longer to code than others. Also consider everyone has theri own definition of "quality coding".
    | | i write code

hmm, nice price and id imagine that they did a good job. And yes before you pay them i would try and get them to make sure its validated.

Quote Originally Posted by Key-Hosts View Post
    before you pay them i would try and get them to make sure its validated.
    Most charge 50% upfront(it's a standard) and 50% upon completion. Validation must pass before the second half is paid. Honestly people around here act as if validation is difficult.. ? I don't get it.

Also consider that there are some validation errors that are technically OK to some people's standards. IE. CSS3 elements not yet standard, but widely supported.
    | | i write code

20. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Related Posts from theWHIR.com