Thread: Networking

Networking

Just making sure this is right... There's no way for me to do the following:

I've got two computers at home. Two differant sides of the house. Ones on cable, ones on DSL. One has a printer, the other ones needs to be able to print from that printer. I dont want to us wireless or routers or anything. Theres no way to set it up so that it shares it another way , right? Like through TCP/IP or something so i can connect through an IP or something?

I don't know if it's possible, but maybe you could put another NIC in each and use those for communication between the 2 computers without using a router. Don't know why you wouldn't want to use a router. It isn't like the cost that much.
    Proud member of the RIAA closed quaters combat cell !!!
    You'd better drop that CD-R before I shoot you !!!

One has a router on it already.

I just dont want to have to run wires through the house.

In that case wireless networking would probably be the only option and that won't be cheap...
    Proud member of the RIAA closed quaters combat cell !!!
    You'd better drop that CD-R before I shoot you !!!

That's what i thought. I guess i'll just email the files over when i need to print.

Nah, thats the long way round, *glances at cordless networking*

Did somebody say "Nutworking"?

You dont need to setup a real network with a router or hub or anyhting. Just VPN in to the computer with a printer over the internet.

How would i do that? the computer with the printer is running ME, and this computer is running XP

?

Originally posted by DoobyWho
    ?
    Participants may not bump threads uneccessarily. Bumping can refer to posting useless information, making corrections or updates in a new post, posting one-liners or any other action to delibrately keep a thread hot. Moderators will use their discretion depending on the nature of the post as to whether to take action or not.

If instant help is needed, try Google or IRC, it appears a few hours is too long to wait.

How would i do that? the computer with the printer is running ME, and this computer is running XP
    First off, XP lets you setup a VPN server, for a very complete how to, please see here:

http://asia.cnet.com/itmanager/netad...9050037,00.htm

Second, you want to add a new connection to your Windows ME machine. See here:

http://www.west.asu.edu/itweb/servic...98config.shtml

All in all, its a very simple thing to do, no third party software is required, its built into windows. The windows help guides will be lacking (as they always are on issues like these) so google will be your best bet.

wouldnt the server have to be on the one with the printer?

wouldnt the server have to be on the one with the printer?
    Its not a print server, but a VPN server. Does the napster server that you used to connect to to get MP3s have the music on it?

I have used a VPN to access databases and stuff on various computers on a setup like so:

A network setup with 5 servers, all with independant functions, and 55 workstations. One of the servers was a database server, another was for VPN and mail. We also had a pool of laptops that would have various ISP from various places in the world. They would connecto via VPN to the network right through the firewall securly, and would have full access to anything inside the network, including the database, as well as being able to print to any of the printers that were shared on the network.

VPN stands for Virtual Private Network, it acts just like a real network, in that you can rpint to any printer you want that is shared, all share the same internet connection, etc etc.