Thread: Virus?

Virus?

The email of the person that sent doesn't remind me of anyone I know, but I got an email with the following:

-----

SUBJECT: A new website
    I wish you would enjoy it.

-----

I had two file attachments to it, one was an image of a boat and the other was a file named deleted.txt. When I opened deleted .txt, this is what happened:

-----

File attachment: height.exe

The file attached to this email was removed because it was infected with the [email protected] virus.

-----

Anyone else get this?

I didn't get the same e-mail but i got one of those viruses in my e-mail. More and more I am thinking about using a program other than Outlook because of how it handles file attachmens. I have also got that bugbear worm in my e-mail also.

-Graham

I get those messages at work, but they have Norton Corporate edition and it kills those virused attachments without any intervention.

Then it leaves a little 'receipt' of sorts that shows what it did, just like how your email has. Maybe Road Runner has their mail server virus scanning? Some ISPs do that.

-WC-

I got the same virus but from a different person and there was only images attached but I still got infected
    LNXPS - C# XPS Library

The Sun Bingo -

It's a pretty common thing to get nowdays. The e-mail itself is just one of the variations of [email protected] - though not one I've gotten myself yet.

It seems to come in waves. You won't get a Klez virus sent for weeks then you get a couple at once. Currently it's by far the most common virus I get in any of my inboxes. Good old Norton's been doing the job though

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Guys, guys...
    First of all I don't think this post is relevant to this forum. Second, those images and txt files you are getting have double extensions.

For example:
    pic.jpg.............................................exe

and you see it as a pic.jpg. Be careful. Just look at whole file name, pay attention on the icon of that file, and disable "Hide extention for known file types" in tools>folder options if you are using Windows.
    Why don't ya Kiss My Floppy?
    http://www.KissMyFloppy.com/

This thread was relevant to the forums. There was nowhere else for it to go.

Don't open attachments if you don't know where they come from. Don't rely on your anti-virus to bail you out if you do, either. There are far more worrysome home-brewed trojans to be afraid of than some virus that Norton AV will pick up.

I would never open an attachment if it comes from someone I don't know. Even if one arrives from someone I do know, I'd better be expecting it or it gets thrown in the bin.

The viruses that I see are easy to spot. The most common extension with Klez is file.pif. Got a vius yesterday with a weird extension - forumdisplay[4].scr. They are so easy to spot but I guess the one that the thread starter mentioned with a .txt is quite tricky.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Nah, the .txt was telling me that Outlook removed the file because it conatained a viral infection.

Ah ok...
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

We don't even open attached files from clients...if we receive an attached file from a client (even if it states in the email that it's a screen shot, etc) we simply reply back and explain that we do not accept them.

Good advice from lightnin, and Ezhost.
    I use a text only email reader, which lets me see the codes, and spot virri imediately. I get at least a couple a day.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

I got that virus about 1 hour ago. I think Norton AntiVirus took care of it, but it never told me in my reports. When I looked at the file it came through it was 0 bytes, so it must have killed it.

I downloaded the fix for it anyways, but it didn't find anything. Last time I use my email like I did before. Ugh, a waste of an hour.

Yep on that double extension -

virusfile.jpg.scr

or

virusfile.txt.exe

etc

Also beware of unsolicited links. Got spam with a link to an .exe which I most definitely didn't click.