Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I truely wish there is a DH Rep on these fourms, It would be nice to hear their reasoning for posting this recording. I really cant think of any that would make sense.

I also used DH for a year, I stopped using it after I found out that ANY FTP account can be given SSH access with a single click in their control panel. I have never seen such a hacker friendly platform EVER. I know most people here are web hosts and they would agree that SSH access (even jailed) can be DANGEROUS if not controled. DreamHost actually gives their users a way to create thousands of SSH accounts from a single interface.
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Join me on Technical.chat
      0 Not allowed!

my oh my... thank goodness i joined the forum as i have seen positive comments about DH on other forums.. and now my mind is opened! now i am lost as to what hosting company should i go for. inexpensive, secure and reliable..
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by deanver View Post
    my oh my... thank goodness i joined the forum as i have seen positive comments about DH on other forums.. and now my mind is opened! now i am lost as to what hosting company should i go for. inexpensive, secure and reliable..
    Welcome to WHT

Watch out for those "Positive" remarks on other forums, DreamHost has a killer affiliate program. I am even willing to bet that some of those people dont even host with dream host. One really cool thing about WHT is they require the customers to include their domain name when posting a review as a way to help to stop false reviews.

One tip, look for a cPanel or Plesk Host. They are often Secure and easy to use.
    Keith I Myers
      0 Not allowed!

This is very sad, why would anyone humiliate anyone like this. Surely they aren't expecting to win more customers by showing off how they humiliate distressed ones?
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!
      0 Not allowed!

it would be best if there will be some law to protect customers from abusive companies like this
      0 Not allowed!

Use of Customer Information

Customer privacy is something we take very seriously(LMAOROTF) at DreamHost. We do not, and have never, sold or disseminated (except in cases where required to by law by law enforcement agencies) the personal information of our customers to any parties outside of DreamHost Web Hosting, or its parent company, New Dream Network, LLC. We use customer information for the purposes of creating and maintaining individual customer accounts, contacting customers in case of a problem with their account, sending personal information, for statistical purposes, to administer our systems, to conduct surveys, to administer drawings or contests, and to provide technical support. All of our development is done in-house, and hence no contracted parties will ever have access to individual customer information.
    The conversation should at least be classified as privileged business communications. Too bad they don't at least have one of those hokey E-TRUST badges to lose.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com
      0 Not allowed!

I don't really see a privacy issue here, but the poor taste I can certainly feel. The man appeared to be suffering to the point of desperation, and airing that sort of emotional communication won't do him any good. For his sake, I hope he'll never come across Dreamhost's blog post.

IMHO DH's blog post in itself wasn't all that bad, but they shouldn't have added that audio. It changes everything.
      0 Not allowed!

Wow, this is pretty low even by the dreamhost standards.

Hope that guy gets his domain back.
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    I can't believe that they uploaded that audio to everybody's fun, that's incredible cruel. What a bunch of idiots.
    Yea. Poor guy. In India, pretty much a lot of people who earn online have their whole lives linked to their accounts, so if anything goes wrong, it's a big life change.
    HJI Technologies, LLC - A New Uncompromising Experience, Since 2014
    Shared Hosting | Resellers Hosting | VPS Hosting
    Add Incredible Value to YOUR Business | 30-Day Money Back Guarantee*
    Get Started Today! | Sales: (806) 724-8004
      0 Not allowed!

Wow, I'm gobsmacked
      0 Not allowed!

I agree the post itself isn't bad and it technically doesn't reveal any information about the client, but the audio, to air such desperation of anyone, let alone a client, is where the line was crossed and completely erased. Forget about being a business. Where's the common decensy as a human being? Where's the respect. It's apparent that DH has none of either.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.™
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.
      0 Not allowed!

Well someone could use that recording to identify someone. So technically, it is releasing private information into the public domain.

But besides that point, it is unethical to release something like that on the internet when the guy is just looking for help. If I were him and I found out that had happened, I would move away from that host immediately.

What I found quite funny was that on their past blog post with the first recording, they joked that the internet was not a serious business. For many people it is actually their only source of income. It's quite ironic that Dreamhost's entire business relies on the internet and that all their employees rely on the internet to feed their families.
      0 Not allowed!

They really are an awful and pathetic company.

Am shocked at this blog post.
      0 Not allowed!

Nothing new here from Dreamhost.

A budget provider run by mentally challenged support morons.

This kind of bad advertisement will one day ruin their business if they persist with it as people realise the yawn factor.

Dreamhost.....more like a Wet Dream.

owm
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

Disgusting behaviour. You don't expect a company of that size to act so unprofessionally.
    Darren Lingham - Stablepoint Hosting
    Stablepoint - Cloud Web Hosting without compromise
    We provide industry-leading cPanel™ web hosting in 80+ global cities.
      0 Not allowed!

Was it right of them to even post the WAV File? Real or not, Quite stupid.
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars
      0 Not allowed!

No doubt they'll try to wriggle out of the situation by saying it was all a hoax. However, that doesn't make it cool to post a call that portrays someone's obvious distress when they are asking you as their host for help.

Totally lacks professionalism.

No one likes a laugh and a joke more than me, but I have one golden rule I strictly follow and that's to conduct my business in as professional a manner as possible.

If only I could conduct myself in a professionsl manner

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 05-04-2009 at 08:17 AM.
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

Pathetic attitude adopted by them. In second post they mention 25th largest hosting company (as per webhosting.info which is not accurate itself). But now I see they have climbed to 12th...
    Are these antics adopted by them are gaining them publicity and clients???? surely this shouldnt be the case....
      0 Not allowed!

The problem with the recording, Did they say "This call may be recorded and posted to our blog for humiliation" in their answering machine message. If not they really dont have grounds to post this.

However, legal issues aside, it is just in poor taste.
    Keith I Myers
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah, I do think that there could be legal consequences to this if that client had a desire to persue.

Very unacceptable either way.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
    The conversation should at least be classified as privileged business communications. Too bad they don't at least have one of those hokey E-TRUST badges to lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by txitcs View Post
    Yeah, I do think that there could be legal consequences to this if that client had a desire to persue.

Very unacceptable either way.
    I will agree that this is often a ploy, but he could possibly get Pain and Suffering for the treatment alone. The man in the recording sounded like he was about to snap, I wished there was a way I could help from just listening to it.
    Keith I Myers
      0 Not allowed!

In fact, ignore what I just said. I actually read the post and not just listened to the audio:

1. Pete Says:
      April 28th, 2009 at 2:25 am I didn’t find anything particularly cruel about this post. Nobody’s laughing at the guy, in fact, the commenters are showing compassion and empathy.
    He's spot on.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by citricsquid View Post
    I honestly think this is a joke and they've made it themselves. Even so, LOL.
    Wow, I think your the only one laughing at this. Even if this was a joke (and I dont believe it is) it was not very funny
    Keith I Myers
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by KDisk View Post
    Wow, I think your the only one laughing at this. Even if this was a joke (and I dont believe it is) it was not very funny
    I changed my post. I hadn't read the blog post, just listened to the audio.
      0 Not allowed!

Not the first time they've done something like this before...
    The Simple Host Ltd - Premium Quality European Web Hosting - Uptime Stats
    Shared, Reseller, VPS & Dedicated Hosting
    15-Day Money Back Guarantee, Nightly Backups, Installatron, Softaculous, RVSiteBuilder PRO, Instant Setup - All as standard!
    Call (+44) 0845 300 9066 for more information.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast