Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

* KnownHost vs. Servint?

So far, I've narrowed my choice for a VPS down to KnownHost & Servint...can someone please give some opinions about this choice? All I can see is that Servint offers so much more than KnownHost (more RAM & twice the bandwidth for the same price), but everyone seems to say KnownHost is one of the best VPS services out there. How is Servint's customer support?

Servint's service was great a few years back and from reading some recent posts, they appear to be keeping their customers long-term which is great. Either way though, both companies are super.

Servint is great. Sometimes I feel that they dont fully read a support ticket but there price is nice. I do think wiredtree is the best vps provider but they can be a little more expensive then others
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

I would pick good support over more resources. It sounds like KH is the winner.

Best
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    Server Management - Unlimited Servers. Unlimited Requests. One Plan!
    cPanel Varnish Plugin -- Seamless SSL Caching (Let's Encrypt, AutoSSL, etc)
    Slow Site or Server? Unable to handle traffic? Same day performance fix: joe@unixy

I haven't used knownhost so I cannot compare the providers nor would I try to. I have used Servint for 5 years without any problems or upsets. Their support has been beyond reproach, often exceeding my very high expectations and their ethics never fail to amaze me. The fact that they upgrade all their customers to new deals without prompting is excellent. My VPS has tripled in capabilities over the time I have been with them and I am still paying the same amount.
    The staff truly are a credit to the company. In the past I have been on the road and had a minor problem ( a cpanel auto update causing an issue comes to mind) and a simple email to them had it fixed in minutes (literally). Plus I find it great that if you need to you can ring them and get straight through to the techs.
    I have thought about moving elsewhere in the past and had the odd test server but never moved. In the past I have needed to carry a laptop \ cell etc everywhere now I don't need to worry. I have a social life back.
    --
    Rich

known host VS every other VPS provider i will go with knownhost !

Quote Originally Posted by markn26 View Post
    So far, I've narrowed my choice for a VPS down to KnownHost & Servint...can someone please give some opinions about this choice? All I can see is that Servint offers so much more than KnownHost (more RAM & twice the bandwidth for the same price), but everyone seems to say KnownHost is one of the best VPS services out there. How is Servint's customer support?
    KnownHost has a very good reputation and I think you will be fine with either company. However, I have had a vps with ServInt for quite a while and they never cease to amaze me. The managed support has been top-notch, the customer-only forum is very active, and ServInt continues to upgrade their services. They recently upgraded everybody (not just new customers) to even better hardware with a huge boost in resources... all at no additional cost.

But, comparing apples to apples.... ServInt wins out on price & resources. You will get more bang for your buck. And remember, cPanel or Plesk is included in the price w/ ServInt.

ServInt operates out of their own datacenters on the East Coast. KnownHost appears to co-locate their servers in California & Texas. Both seem to have very good networks and uptime.

I think I would try out KnownHost if I wasn't so happy with ServInt. It took me a long time to find a host as good as ServInt and I can't imagine finding a company better than them.

Good luck and let us know who you decide to try out. ServInt is currently offering 50% off the 1st month of service. I hope to see you soon in the ServInt customer forums.

The only thing I have against ServInt is that I prefer DirectAdmin and siince they don't offer it, I would have to get my own license which adds to the cost. KH offers cPanel and DA.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.™
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

Talking KH

My vote is for KnownHost because its VPS are much more sophisticated and its automatic VZPP backup (snapshots) is super!!
    The-REV, OS/2 Guru
    http://macarloshark.com/
    Trusted Since 1997
    Blog: http://my.opera.com/The-REV/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by powerMonster-Scott View Post
    The only thing I have against ServInt is that I prefer DirectAdmin and siince they don't offer it, I would have to get my own license which adds to the cost. KH offers cPanel and DA.
    True. ServInt doesn't offer DirectAdmin

Quote Originally Posted by sheba59 View Post
    Servint doesn’t offer much more. Knownhost has more options and you can add ram by itself. It depends what your looking for but knownhost seems to have more options.
    You get more ram & data transfer with ServInt. But true, for an additional cost you can upgrade ram & data transfer to meet the already generous allowances at ServInt. You can't upgrade ram at ServInt without getting a bigger plan, but ServInt plans do come with more. Data transfer overages are cheaper with ServInt at .25/GB vs. .50/GB at KnownHost. Looks like you can get data transfer down to .20/GB at KnownHost if you pre-pay for 500GB.

For $49 with Servint (essential vps)

- 768 MB Guaranteed (1.5 GB Burst RAM)
    - 30 GB Disk Space
    - 1,000 GB Monthly Transfer
    - 4 ips and a control panel

For $50 with KnownHost (VS3)

- 512 MB Guaranteed
    - 30 GB Disk Space
    - 550 GB Monthly Transfer
    - 2 ips and a control panel

Quote Originally Posted by The-REV View Post
    My vote is for KnownHost because its VPS are much more sophisticated and its automatic VZPP backup (snapshots) is super!!
    How are KnownHost vps's much more sophisticated? They both utilize Virtuozzo. And I can't seem to locate the server specs on the KnownHost site. I am not putting down KnownHost. Actually, KnownHost looks pretty good. But, I don't see why they are in any way better or much more sophisticated than ServInt.

True, ServInt doesn't utilize the VZPP backup (snapshots). But, Virtuozzo snapshots are not automatic... the user needs to initiate them as needed/wanted. ServInt makes daily backups and it appears as KnownHost makes backups every other day.
    Last edited by mainpipe; 05-04-2009 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mainpipe View Post
    How are KnownHost vps's much more sophisticated? They both utilize Virtuozzo. And I can't seem to locate the server specs on the KnownHost site. I am not putting down KnownHost. Actually, KnownHost looks pretty good. But, I don't see why they are in any way better or much more sophisticated than ServInt.

True, ServInt doesn't utilize the VZPP backup (snapshots). But, Virtuozzo snapshots are not automatic... the user needs to initiate them as needed/wanted. ServInt makes daily backups and it appears as KnownHost makes backups every other day.
    I wouldn't say they're waaay ahead of SevtInt, but KnownHost do provision and optimise cPanel more than usual - meaning even before "cPanel Optimized" came out, KH's cPanel was more efficient than the average ones and used up less memory than average.

I've only ever used KnownHost and love their support and, well, every aspect of them really. Their servers are very powerful - I can't find exact stats, but WHM reports that they have 4 processors, "Dual-Core AMD Opteron - 2.2 Ghz". Plus I know they run all their HDs on RAID 10 - so certainly the physical machines are quite powerful.

From the sounds of it, OP, I doubt you can go far wrong with either company, though I think it's fair to say that servInt offer you more, but KnownHost's support is probably better. But both sound good.

You should also consifer if servint is proactive (KH is reactive) and if they have redundant network like colo4dallas (KH texas dc).
    Managed.gr cloud hosting, paas, vps, dedicated, domain registration on global datacenters.

Quote Originally Posted by 01globalnet View Post
    You should also consifer if servint is proactive (KH is reactive) and if they have redundant network like colo4dallas (KH texas dc).
    That's something to consider too

Although to add something - KH is proactive when it comes to the overall node, or if one customer receives a DDOS attack etc. So I wouldn't say it's not pro-active. Of course, they don't monitor every service running for every customer and take action automatically if (say) MySQL goes down

Talking Yes, VZPP automatic backups

[QUOTE=mainpipe;6164462]How are KnownHost vps's much more sophisticated? They both utilize Virtuozzo. (...)
    True, ServInt doesn't utilize the VZPP backup (snapshots). But, Virtuozzo snapshots are not automatic...QUOTE]

First of all, yes, KnownHost does automatic backups. Here an excerpt of my review on KnownHost: "After data migration from another provider in order to test the KH product I did a VZPP snapshot and this backup has been released easy and quickly. After some days I verified that peace in mind appears as the trade mark of Known Host: this provider does automatic backups of entire VPS (snapshot) at each two days of use!! (photo at left shows VZPP Maintenance with the automatic backups released). Performing a rsync /home backup to our external backup server provider (the highly recommended Remote Backup @ BQ Internet) we found a good score, considering the localization of KH NOC and follows a comparison with the fast #1 for this rsync to BQ, SolarVPS" Check it at: http://my.opera.com/The-REV/blog/200...ound-knownhost

KnownHost VPS are much more sophisticated due a lot of reasons like this: high density VPS, no problems with Plesk, ultra-high speed to build tarball in comparison with all the rest VPS providers etc etc.

Link to photo of six VZPP snapshots stored in my KH VPS CP: http://files.myopera.com/The-REV/blog/KHsnapshot.jpg

Servint rocks but the #1 in VPS is KH.
    The-REV, OS/2 Guru
    http://macarloshark.com/
    Trusted Since 1997
    Blog: http://my.opera.com/The-REV/blog/

How do the two companies compare for vps management? I am a novice with vsp and also narrowed my search down to servint, knowhost (and wiredtree). For me, management and support are more important than price and resources. which one of the three would be my best choice?

Quote Originally Posted by floriauck View Post
    How do the two companies compare for vps management? I am a novice with vsp and also narrowed my search down to servint, knowhost (and wiredtree). For me, management and support are more important than price and resources. which one of the three would be my best choice?
    if you have a higher budget best support wired tree. if your budget is a bit lower knownhost is awsome. and if you want to be cheap go for servint * just what I think*

KH support is absolutely great. No complaints. WT is also great. I have no experience with Servint. Main difference between KH and WT is in how they do their management. WT is proactive while KH is reactive.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.™
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeden View Post
    if you have a higher budget best support wired tree. if your budget is a bit lower knownhost is awsome. and if you want to be cheap go for servint * just what I think*
    ServInt may be the cheapest of the 3... but I wouldn't classify them as "cheap" in terms of price or quality. I have no experience with WiredTree or KnownHost. They both seem to run good operations and have many positive posts.

I do have experience with ServInt. And in my experience, they have provided "the complete package" in terms of harwdare, network, and service. I have been with them since 2006 and they have a very strong following of loyal customers. They have recently upgraded all of their offerings in terms of ram/hd/bandwidth and also the actual servers used as well. They have done this for all of their customers and not just to gain new ones. They continually try to improve their service and do right by their customers. I am very glad I found them.

As far as support... it all depends on what you need. They give you a quality vps and let you jump right in. They don't know whether you know how to swim or not. If you are an experienced admin they let you do your thing. If you are new to everything, just let them know and they will help you along the way. In addition, they have a great customer forum with a welcoming bunch of customers and helpful staff & management.

I am going to quote something that was posted by the ServInt VP of Operations in the ServInt forums and it says a lot about ServInt and the way they do business. They are the type of business partner I want and one that I will tell others about.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson
    We at ServInt do care. We take pride in providing great service. We also know that moving in can be the toughest part. We're there to work with you to make it as easy can be. If you are willing to work with us and collaborate to find answers (some of which may not be immediate or self-evident, as is the case in this complex industry) we promise we'll help your business grow.

KnownHost have the best support EVER! WiredTree Are on my second place because i do not have much experience with them.

Quote Originally Posted by mainpipe View Post
    ServInt may be the cheapest of the 3... but I wouldn't classify them as "cheap" in terms of price or quality. I have no experience with WiredTree or KnownHost. They both seem to run good operations and have many positive posts.
    I know this. but I have used all 3 hosts and thats my opinion. try knownhost and wiredtree then give a review XD

I know this. but I have used all 3 hosts and thats my opinion.
    I have no doubt that the other two are quality hosts. And of the three, ServInt is the lowest cost for comparable plans.

I think describing ServInt as "cheap" can be seen as derogatory. I just felt the need to speak up and defend the quality service that ServInt has provided me. I prefer to consider them the better value.

try knownhost and wiredtree then give a review
    I don't have the need. I am very happy with ServInt and have no doubts that they will work hard to keep me happy.

I also would chime in that ServInt customer service and support is absolutely one of the best. They DO exceed expectations often, which says a lot considering there are too many hosting companies that come well short of their promises.

My only tiny bit of a unhappiness with ServInt and the reason I moved away from them is their numfiles limit. In January of this year, I was on their Essential VPS plan, which at the time had something like 386 burst to 1G with 15G storage and 500G bandwidth. I didn't come close to hitting those limits, but I hit the numfiles limit and my site was basically very slow or not loading.

At the time, our major site that is built on Joomla had 1,000 visitors a day. I really like ServInt's support and would like to try out their upgraded package again, but I am afraid of hitting against this numfiles limit.

Since Jan, customer service has told me that they have increased their numfiles on the Essential VPS from 10,000 to 15,000. However, since then, my site is now getting 3000-6000 visitors a day. Although, we have relaunched the site on February 14th, it is still a Joomla site.

That's my only thing.

Anyway, does Knownhost or WiredTree have some sort of CPU limits (numfiles or not)?

I've used all three of them and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Choose whichever one best suits your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by mergen View Post

Anyway, does Knownhost or WiredTree have some sort of CPU limits (numfiles or not)?
    I can only answer for KnownHost, as I've not tried WiredTree. And I can only answer to my package (VPS-XL). It does show a soft limit of 800,000 inodes in Parallels Power Panel, with a hard limit of 820,000.

Let me also throw in a vote for KnownHost. I don't know what this "proactive" vs. "reactive" thing is, but I do know that KnownHost is there when you need them. But then, you rarely need them as everything just runs so smoothly.
    Sue

A generation which ignores history has no past — and no future. --Lazarus Long

Quote Originally Posted by BristolSue View Post
    I can only answer for KnownHost, as I've not tried WiredTree. And I can only answer to my package (VPS-XL). It does show a soft limit of 800,000 inodes in Parallels Power Panel, with a hard limit of 820,000.
    You are talking about inodes... the previous poster was talking about the numfile (number of open files) limit. At first, I made the same mistake when I read his post.

With the ServInt Essential VPS, the soft limit for inodes is 3,000,000 and hard limit is 3,300,000. Basically, this just doubled when they upgraded the hd space to 30GB from 15GB. As stated, numfile limit on ServInt is 15,000.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast