Do I need a VPS?

Hi guys,

I'm currently on VPS with HostICan (VPS Rage plan). They are a decent host (at least, servers and support are fast), but I have a few concerns about them.

I had been using their Base-Host plan for over 6 months with no issues, when suddenly I started hitting CPU limits out of no reason (I had not made any changes to the site, traffic hadn't increased too). I was offered to move to VPS which is about 7 times more expensive. And I did, as I had no time to look for alternatives at the time.
    My CPU issues were gone, but almost immediately I started hitting memory limits (it turns out they have more generous memory limits on their basic plans!). My site still stops working because of that from time to time, and each time I have to manually restart it. Support wasn't very helpful...

So, obviously, I want to return to those old times when I was paying $6/mo and things were all rosy
    Is it real, if my site's traffic is 200-400 GB/mo? And what would you recommend in such case?

Thanks.

Sounds like overselling and shared CPU which means that if one VPS user uses a LOT of CPU over a short or long term that it is limiting you CPU usage and they are getting away with it. Sounds like that with your Memory issue too, unless you have e.g. 2048 Burstable RAM but only 512mb Guaranteed RAM.

How much memory is allocated to you?

I think its really more of a personal choice between a VPS and a shared hosting environment. Me, personally, I have to have root access. I will never use a shared hosting environment.

So, decide what you are looking for in a host. Once you know what you want, make a decision. Do you need root access?

It's 384mb Guaranteed RAM and 768mb Burstable RAM for my current (VPS) plan.
    So, should I be fine with a shared hosting or is VPS the only way to go with the amount of traffic my website generates (according to cPanel)?

@Tank71: no, I don't need root acces. Actually, I preferred it more, when I had less things to manage.
    Last edited by vitalyx; 05-02-2009 at 05:36 PM.

How much are you paying for that, if you don't mind?

I would read the shared hosting TOS, very carefully. How does your site generate most of its bandwidth? High bandwidth websites some times find ways to violate the TOS, even if they are below quota. This is common on those $6/month, unlimited bandwidth, unlimited space plans.

So, I would put some effort into finding a quality host. Even if it's more expensive. It will save you problems down the road...

The VPS-Rage plan I'm currently on costs me $50/month. Most of the traffic are software downloads (3Mb installer). BTW, software downloads were the reason for CPU quota breaching, as HostICan's support told me. Are they really so CPU intensive?
    Last edited by vitalyx; 05-02-2009 at 05:59 PM.

Now with a VPS plan and plenty of CPU time, I sometimes don't have enough memory to run standard Joomla 1.5 and PhpBB3 installs, with no extra plugins. Isn't that weird? Before HostICan, I was with iPower, paying less than $10/month. No word about quota breach from them ever, except that iPower generally sucked (poor uptime, slow servers).

HTTP download sites, in my opinion will mostly reach memory limits first before it reaches CPU limit.

If it is the case of your memory hit the limit, you can try to optimized that particular service, like make them static (if not yet) and tweak the apache config (if apache).
    Magnet Hosting | Layanan Hosting dan Server Indonesia
    http://www.magnet-id.com Indonesian Data Center, Peering with IIX and openIXP

"Software downloaders" as you put it are most certainly not that CPU intensive. If they were to tax the system at all, it would probably would be the disk I/O -- of course, this is all just in my experience.

It is most likely that you got put on a node with more then 20 other VPSs on it, and you really are not taking up that much CPU.
    -Jacob
    iWebFusion [AS397373] - 6 US datacenters offering shared, reseller, dedicated, VPS and Colo
    California (x2) | Oregon | Iowa | North Carolina | Nevada

any downloading or streaming site needs more RAM than cpu

more RAM = more people can download at the same time

u said bandwidth = 400gb/month ?

then consider a https://www.servint.net/home.php vps best for u

Thank you guys. So, it's bound to be a VPS with a decent amount of RAM (servint looks interesting), no chance of using a shared hosting with that monthly bandwidth?

Not really, you would have to get some really high end shared hosting for that.
    I suggest at least 512MB dedicated RAM, maybe even looking at 768MB dedicated RAM. Of course, you will also want to factor in a control panel (if you want that) so I would go with 768MB dedicated RAM.

Just my 2c
    -Jacob
    iWebFusion [AS397373] - 6 US datacenters offering shared, reseller, dedicated, VPS and Colo
    California (x2) | Oregon | Iowa | North Carolina | Nevada

Quote Originally Posted by vitalyx View Post
    The VPS-Rage plan I'm currently on costs me $50/month.
    Move to ServInt. You will get double the ram allocation that you have now... and my guess is more cpu too. All for the same price!

How many downloads of this 3MB file per month?
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

WOW!!that is such a huge coincidence as i was heading into the same direction if not for passing through here!!
    have hosted wit hostican for a year now..,mainly it was because i was still on development stages of my website..,now that i am preparing to make a full launch i get these weird CPU limits over and over!!
    i have 2 weeks left in my yearly account..,now my question is will servint be able to transfer my Domain from HIC?!since i got trapped in the free domain for life thing.
    i run an e-commerce site on interspire and a WPS blog integrated.what is the best package for me?also i was looking for a host who has a european data center,although US east cost is OK for me too.all that for $50 budget.
    any help?!