Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where to advertise?

For a new hosting company starting up what are the different places one can advertise? I already know about WHT and word of mouth. PPC ads and paid links might work too. I know other forums might be a good place but am I missing some medium that is commonly used?

Read this section.. There are suggestions on about 3/4 of the threads here because people do not do their own research.

Local advertistments on newspapers. (make it large & eye-catching)

Quote Originally Posted by LaptopFreak View Post
    Local advertistments
    Agreed. Your dollar will go so much farther locally as opposed to online. And you'll end up with much higher quality accounts.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by vito View Post
    Agreed. Your dollar will go so much farther locally as opposed to online. And you'll end up with much higher quality accounts.

Vito
    Interesting idea--do most hosts including yourself prefer phsyically close accounts signing up? I always thought that since hosting was an "internet business" that neither buyer nor seller cared that much for how close a webhost is especially since most largish webhosts are obviously getting the bulk of their clientelle from around the world rather than their own zipcode.

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Interesting idea--do most hosts including yourself prefer phsyically close accounts signing up? I always thought that since hosting was an "internet business" that neither buyer nor seller cared that much for how close a webhost is especially since most largish webhosts are obviously getting the bulk of their clientelle from around the world rather than their own zipcode.
    It really depends on your own business model. Personally, I prefer local clients, particularly small to mid size brick and mortar businesses. I prefer them over the "usual" customers found online because:

- higher degree of loyalty / less churn. They won't switch hosts to save 2 bucks a month.
    - no spam, no high resource sites, no headaches.
    - very low disk space / bandwidth usage.
    - very few support tickets, if any.
    - good source of referrals. WOM travels very well in a local community.
    - will usually be willing to pay much higher prices than the "Internet shopper".
    - prefers to cut a check once a year rather than monthly cc payments (so no cc charges, less bookkeeping, etc).

Generally, a business owner prefers to write a check for a few hundred bucks a year and just wants to get back to running his business. Usually, they are just brochure sites, and as long as his email is always up, you never hear from him. Perfect customer.

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

I agree, less tech savvy clients are willing to pay more and are more reliable. I was very surprised by the level of fraud for domain registrations.

It really depends on your own business model. Personally, I prefer local clients, particularly small to mid size brick and mortar businesses. I prefer them over the "usual" customers found online because:

- higher degree of loyalty / less churn. They won't switch hosts to save 2 bucks a month.
    - will usually be willing to pay much higher prices than the "Internet shopper".
    - prefers to cut a check once a year rather than monthly cc payments (so no cc charges, less bookkeeping, etc).

Generally, a business owner prefers to write a check for a few hundred bucks a year and just wants to get back to running his business. Usually, they are just brochure sites, and as long as his email is always up, you never hear from him. Perfect customer.

Vito
    I think we all like those customers the best
    HostingScene - Reliable web hosting since 2003!
    XEN powered VPS - Learn More!
    Nick @ Hostingscene.com - 877-244-5650
    http://www.hostingscene.com

As I said, look around this running a web hosting business. You will see that most hosts prefer it. It appears you haven't done any research otherwise you would know that the most successful way to gain customers is locally, especially when first starting out. Do you really think you can compete with thousands, if not millions, of other hosts on the internet?

Look in the tutorials section too.

Vito
    +1

That basically sums up the local clients I have.

First you have to decide where your target audience is based on what type of services you are offering. If you have a niche for example, you can't do general run of site advertising.

If you have a store front then local advertising may work, otherwise advertising locally may not work the best. People that buy from local in town advertisers usually want to meet.
    PlatinumServerManagement (also known as PSM)
    The OLDEST and LARGEST and MOST TRUSTED server management provider in the USA, with 15+ employees and growing!
    Providing quality support for OVER 21 years! Currently supporting over 3,000+ servers monthly!

www.PlatinumServerManagement.com Proud member of the NJ BBB & Chamber of Commerce & Authorized cPanel Partner.

i guess it really depends on the company, as for me, its much harder to get local clients

- Advertising your web hosting site.
    - You should start from local marketing targeting your potential customers.
    - Try listing yourself on web hosting directories or just use their links and add to them yourself.
    - You need to become listed on popular web host directory sites.
    - Market your website using various forum signatures.
    !! RRDNS.com !! RRDNSHosting.com !!
    !! 100% Business Uptime Hosting Solutions !!
    !! Now offers Affordable Shared Clustered Hosting !!
    !! http://www.rrdns.com !! http://www.rrdnshosting.com !!

Quote Originally Posted by TheProxyHoster View Post
    i guess it really depends on the company, as for me, its much harder to get local clients
    That's very true. It's easy for people to say the best place to get clients from is locally, but not everybody is going to be able to do that due to where they live.

Getting customers locally doesn't mean they have to necessarily be in your community proper. And it doesn't mean you necessarily need to meet up with them face to face. Regardless of where you live, target your town or your city or even your state/province. Most people will consider that dealing locally, and prefer that to dealing with someone half a world away.

Vito

We go to all the major cities in Texas (Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, etc.). You don't have to only deal with your specific community. If you did that you wouldn't make any money.

That's true, but if you don't have any major city near then I can still see it being difficult. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Btcc22 View Post
    That's true, but if you don't have any major city near then I can still see it being difficult. =)
    You dont need a major city. Every town in America has small business operating in them. Target those small business!

I advertise locally, and now I'm hitting the radio market. I will be advertising on 2 stations in my area that are listened to by many business owners, and those that just want a website. Since I sell the whole package (design, hosting) it's worth it for me to spend $1200 per month in advertising because 1/2 a client will cover that cost. I'll report my findings next month.
    Check out my new Chrome Extension - Server Admin Tool
    frustratedtech.com - Helpful Server Tech Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Internet54 View Post
    I advertise locally, and now I'm hitting the radio market. I will be advertising on 2 stations in my area that are listened to by many business owners, and those that just want a website. Since I sell the whole package (design, hosting) it's worth it for me to spend $1200 per month in advertising because 1/2 a client will cover that cost. I'll report my findings next month.
    Please do. Be sure to let us know how the radio market works out.

Quote Originally Posted by LaptopFreak View Post
    Local advertistments on newspapers. (make it large & eye-catching)
    I agree, also post advertisements on very popular forums, including this one.
    HostMonkey | Your kingdom starts here. (tweet us @HostMonkeynet)
    Affordable and Reliable Shared Hosting, VPS Servers, and Dedicated Servers
    OpenVZ, SolusVM CP, 99.9% Uptime Guarantee, 24x7x365 Support
    Server Reseller Program: significant discounts, to increase your profits!

it depends on the business plan, i suggest try local advt first..
    WebHost18.com - Domains | Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Server
    Bravo Technologies - Complete Network and Security Solutions Provider

There is lots of places you could do this, type in Google, "web hosting directories" and adds your website to the lists.

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    I just wanted to say I get a lot of hits locally in papers and whatnot, it may be worth looking into!
    madgenius.com - S Corp. We are US based company.
    Web Hosting, Cloud VPS, and Dedicated Solutions since 1998
    Also offering custom solutions and automated provisioning for most services

Quote Originally Posted by ryanwashi View Post
    There is lots of places you could do this, type in Google, "web hosting directories" and adds your website to the lists.
    this does....pretty much nothing for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast