How to deal with having a domain hijacked?

Someone in a group I am a member of has had their domain name hijacked and is asking for advice about getting it back. I don't know all the details as far as where she registered it etc.

What I do know is that she had the domain and site and somewhere along the line got it hosted with someone she knows and developed some sort of a working relationship with and then things went sour. Now her former host and quasi partner has somehow hijacked the domain name as well as refusing to host the site any longer. (I am under the impression it was being hosted for "free" in a way - in that she wasn't paying for the hosting but the host was getting money in the form of paid subscriptions to the services on her site.)

I have already suggested she contact her registrar to see what help she might be able to get from them.

What else can she do if the registrar isn't helpful to her?

did she pay for the domain name?
    did she get an email receipt?

Without any details it really is impossble to provide any help...
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net

Yeah, I think she paid for the domain. It is all very confusing really. You know how message boards can be...

I am beginning to get the impression that her name wasn't actually hijacked at all. Right now it is looking more like they stopped hosting her and she took down her site files and they have put up their own page stating their side of why the site is no longer there where her site used to be and she just has no idea how to change her dns settings. I am trying to work with her on that. Looks to me like she assumed a lot and came to incorrect conclusions...

Thanks anyway. Sorry to waste your time like this.

The first and only time this happened to one of my domains - back in the days when Network Solutions was the big boys - I simply called them, faxed my contact info and they moved it back under my name in 5 days. Maybe it helped that I also contacted the FBI

Maybe it helped that I also contacted the FBI
    did you really do that?

Yes.
    The hijacker was a self-proclaimed Russian but his access was from Turkey.