hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Specialty Hosting and Markets : Game Servers : How to create a game server host?

Forum Jump

How to create a game server host?

Reply Post New Thread In Game Servers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 11:18 PM

How to create a game server host?

hello every one
we are now selling our old servers and starting a new business

we thought about starting a game server

we have found some resources about that but we still confusing about servers techs , operating system and scripts

any Idea about that

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2009, 11:23 PM
Danananana Danananana Batman!

This probably shouldn't be here, but anyways...

Running a GSP consists of a lot of work, if something goes wrong you have to make sure you can fix it quickly and properly. Excuse the language, but half asses jobs don't cut it in this field.

Prices vary from $0.50 a game slot to $6.00 a slot depending on the game and the resources used.

Server Techs - At least 1 level 3 admin, someone who knows the ins and outs of the server, several knowledgeable personal are better then one though.

Operating System - ALWAYS linux, everything seems to just run better on linux, especially when it comes to hosting games.

Scripts - TCAdmin and ClientEXEC are exactly what you will need for running a GSP

Old 04-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Instant Servers & Colocation

Windows is often better in terms of game availability. Most new games will have the Windows version of the server available at or before launch whereas Linux server files often take longer to release. A properly configured Windows system can run very well. Also, TCAdmin requires Windows.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2009, 01:33 AM
Junior Guru

Run Windows, it's easier

Old 04-27-2009, 03:12 AM
Disabled

That is separated industry. I remember I have seen one forum whre professionals discuss this stuff. In this matter I would recommend you visiting that forums and get more information there. That is specific thing and I recommend you first learn the market and then go on.
Good luck in any way

Old 04-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cAPTAIN^k View Post
Run Windows, it's easier
nice and constructive reply there cAPTAIN lol.

if they dont have a clue about running linux gaming servers how are they going to know about windows servers? lol.

I would say...

learn some more. google search.

learn some more again.

start of small

start to grow your business.

then hire a support tech(s).

However looking at the bigger picture dont bother starting a GSP cause there aint much money to be made in it. Better off starting a dedicated server company.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:23 PM
WHT Addict

^^ truth... The market is way too flooded.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcroom View Post
not really. did you know over 5 thousand gameservers are bought every day? offer somthing good or extra and you will get alot of those customers

Old 04-28-2009, 05:48 PM
cout << m_subtitle;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flumps View Post
However looking at the bigger picture dont bother starting a GSP cause there aint much money to be made in it. Better off starting a dedicated server company.
I don't think Stijn Koster (CEO of Interactive 3D aka i3D.net) will agree with you on that 1.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Junior Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcroom View Post
I agree the game server market is crashing, i believe it is because parents are not allowing their children to spend money on game servers when they have credit card debt & bills to pay etc. At least not until the economy is up to its peak again, as a result game server market should bounce back as it was in the past when the economy begins to take its shape again.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:43 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeden View Post
not really. did you know over 5 thousand gameservers are bought every day? offer somthing good or extra and you will get alot of those customers
got a reference to that random fact?

also I wonder what percentage of those ask for there money back within the first week / month. - this is well known to be true cause most of your customers will be kids looking for 'power' of running their own game server.

Quote:

I don't think Stijn Koster (CEO of Interactive 3D aka i3D.net) will agree with you on that 1.
well they do own there own datacentre(s) and already have a corperate brand setup. somthing a new start up wont be able to afford.

most new start ups and GSPs in general charge way to less per slot cause they think its all about price over quality.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseweb View Post
This probably shouldn't be here, but anyways...

Running a GSP consists of a lot of work, if something goes wrong you have to make sure you can fix it quickly and properly. Excuse the language, but half asses jobs don't cut it in this field.

Prices vary from $0.50 a game slot to $6.00 a slot depending on the game and the resources used.

Server Techs - At least 1 level 3 admin, someone who knows the ins and outs of the server, several knowledgeable personal are better then one though.

Operating System - ALWAYS linux, everything seems to just run better on linux, especially when it comes to hosting games.

Scripts - TCAdmin and ClientEXEC are exactly what you will need for running a GSP
I am also about to start a GSP. There are not that much software solutions available. After intensive googling i have found gameframe.net/en/?page=game-server-hosting-system-and-control-panel which looks very interesting project for this purpose.

What do you mean by "level 3" admin ???

Old 05-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiPPer View Post
I am also about to start a GSP. There are not that much software solutions available. After intensive googling i have found gameframe.net/en/?page=game-server-hosting-system-and-control-panel which looks very interesting project for this purpose.

What do you mean by "level 3" admin ???

that game frame match....just looks like another way of saying its a game control panel to me.

and its not even released yet so good luck running your GSP with it

Level 3 admin means somone that knows there way around the system / server(s) that can provide high level support to your clients / yourself if a problem arise.

Its worth having support staff, cause when gamers want support they want it today and within x amount of time. not when you get out of school or when you have woken up at 9am.

edit: thanks to the link to that game match though. im going to incorpate some of those features it uses into my game control panel im working on

Old 05-21-2009, 12:26 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Wow, I did not know that. I better get into the market myself then

24/7 Customer Support - Price Matching - Money Back Guarantee

Old 05-21-2009, 01:29 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
interesting, if that is true than i will have to look further into developing a gsp (any partners? lol)

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
SoftLayer Powers Global Expansion of DataHotel’s Japanese App Hosting Service Web Hosting News 2014-02-06 11:37:21
Square Enix to Create On-Demand Cloud Gaming Platform Web Hosting News 2013-11-06 10:00:55
SOE, UOL BoaCompra, Gamerica Partner to Bring Online Game PlanetSide 2 to Brazil Web Hosting News 2013-10-21 15:38:28
Most Online Gamers Experience Unplanned Server Outages During Play: LeaseWeb Study Web Hosting News 2013-05-01 15:16:03
What Online Game Hosting Customers Want Web Hosting News 2012-11-21 15:31:49