Thread: dns question

dns question

i have a dedicated server with a few web sites hosted on it.
    i am running my own nameservers - both on this machine for now. it is a cpanel/whm machine.

all the hosted sites on this server resolve fine, the problem is that my host doesn't resolve.

say i have host1.mydomain.com and nameservers ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com

i can't ping host1.mydomain.com and http://host1.mydomain.com doesn't resolve.

ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com are the nameservers for mydomain.com

i have not set up mydomain.com as an "account" on host1.mydomain.com . it didn't seem like i should, because what if i also had another machine host2.mydomain.com , where would mydomain.com belong then?

is this wrong?

when i log on to whm, i always get a message saying there is no a entry for my host. i have created one many times in whm, but i still get the same message.

/var/named/mydomain.com.db has only this line:
    host1 14400 IN A 64.191.5.182

where 64.191.5.182 is the "main" ip of my machine.

it doesn't look like a "full" zone file - which makes sense, to me at least, because i haven't set up my domain.com on this machine.

how can i get my host to resolve?

thanks

jeff
    Last edited by jegefe; 11-01-2002 at 06:45 PM.

I am not sure if I can help, but I have a similar setup. In WHM you have a Hostname (Edit Setup): server_name.domain_name.com ? DNS works from right to left - you have to have the middle to find the end. I have: the standard DNS entries for my_main_domain.com and an addtional A record for the server name. Point your registered main domain from your register at you nameserver IP's and everything should work.

so, can mydomain.com be on more than one machine,
    host1.mydomain.com ,
    host2.mydomain.com ,
    etc.?

jeff

I know it can be done, but I don't know that much about DNS. When I was with a larger shared host the servers were named www1.host.com,www2.host.com I guess it would be just adding a record for the www1 and an IP address. Maybe there is a DNS expert around...?

i only have one server, and so i don't need to do it. i just asked the question because i want to understand how to get my server to resolve.

i still have the problem as described in my first post.

thanks
    jeff

Have you registered your nameservers with your registra?
    Unlimited Space & Bandwidth
    http://localhost/
    Providing hosting since 17/99/3003

yes, i have registered my nameservers at my registrar.
    remember, the problem is _only_ with host1.mydomain.com .
    the nameservers are working, generally. sites hosted on this server resolve by domain name.

thanks

jeff

Do you have ICQ?
    Could you send me via pm your ICQ#?
    Unlimited Space & Bandwidth
    http://localhost/
    Providing hosting since 17/99/3003

You can always try http://www.dnsreport.com/ - it will list common issues with your dns setup. And yes, you can have any ip in the world on any machine at www and any other at ftp etc.

Chet

i tried dns report, but you can't use it on a host, e.g. host1.mydomain.com.

i tried mydomain.com, and it looks bad, but then i don't have mydomain.com as an account on the machine. i did make mydomain.com point to ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com, becasue i thought i had to to make the nameservers work.

thanks

jeff