* Been Hacked? Attacked? Nobody cares!

Here's a must read for anyone running an online business:

Don't expect the government to help you. Threats of reporting the hacker or attacker to the FBI are useless:

"I learned some bitter truths and realities about the nature of Federal government involvement. There are just too many large problems for the smaller ones which may be destined to grow larger to receive help or attention."

Make sure you read that report, above.
    I thank my Lord for all His wonderful blessings.

Downers Grove, IL
    while mr. gibson has the right ideas, he tends to go about it in the wrong fashion. which earns him nothing but ridicule in the security community. i've also seen him take things way out of proportion. he's a good man, though i feel he's a bit misguided.

I agree, he did go about this in the wrong fashion, and I know for a fact the FBI does get involved quite frequently in these matters. DOS attacks are becoming more common these days, and I am sure they can't help everyone especially with terrorism on their minds, but I do feel for him somewhat.
    Gary Peterson

gibson is the guy that was witching at microsoft for including raw sockets into winxp, because in his twisted mind that would lead to more ddos atatcks. perhaps if he took the huge sign that reads 'kick me' off the back of his jacket, he might not get dosed that much.
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at]

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

How Government Works 101

Once upon a time the government decided to look after my server. Congress said, "Someone may hack it at night." So they created a 24 hour network security position and hired a person for the job.

Then Congress said, "How does the network security guy do his job without instruction?" So they created a planning department and hired two people, one person to write the instructions, and one person to do time studies.

Then Congress said, "How will we know the network guy is doing the tasks correctly?" So they created a Quality Control department and hired two people. One to do the studies and one to write the reports.

Then Congress said, "How are these people going to get paid?" So they created the following positions, a time bookeeper, and a payroll officer, then hired two people.

Then Congress said, "Who will be accountable for all of these people?" So they created an administrative section and
    hired three people, an Administrative Officer, Assistant Administrative Officer, and a Legal Secretary.

Then Congress said, "We have had this command in operation for one year and we are $18,000 over budget, we must cutback overall cost."

So they laid off the network guy.

St. Louis
    That is comical netbridge.

The reality of it is, if you don't have significant financial loss or liability (such as the NSI core dns router situation) the FBI doesn't have the time to deal with your situation.

They are too short handed, don't know enough about it to really understand what happened and have more important cases to deal with.

I don't know the threshold, but I have heard it is somewhere near $10K of losses. We have contacted them several times with very good information regarding hacks and credit card fraud and nothing has happened. With the credit card fraud, we did get a little response from the local police but the problem with hosting is it is very difficult to put an actual cost on your loss as they can't count time.

Unless it's big, don't waste your time filling out the report. Your money would be better spent on better security and firewalls. Make your site such they (hackers & theives) don't want to bother.
    Brad @ Xiolink
    XIOLINK. Your data...always within reach.
    1-877-4-XIOLINK [+01 314 621 5500]