Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    true, I wasn't meaning don't use anything at all, if you don't have arctic silver then yes, use the paste. But anyone who is building their own system from scratch must certainly be smart enough to research cooling options and make the best of their system. Seems like too many fools lately have been trying to build systems when they really have no idea what is even going on.

And really, do you need to worry about the conductivity of AS? I mean you really only need to put a tiny drop on the cpu and spread it evenly with a razor blade. It isn't like you are just randomly squirting it around in risk of connecting the various bridges on the CPU. So that point is moot (if you know what you are doing). Also, they usually give you WAY more thermal paste than needed on stock setups, so it actually hinders cooling rather than helping. It doesn't take much at all to fill in the microscopic gaps.

So:

paste > nothing
    AS > paste
    ASAl > AC

not to harp on, but I agree with the others. As soon as I read your instructor turned the juice on with an AMD chip with the fan off I stopped reading.

I have a AMB 1200 in this thing with a heatsink/fan I could house refugees inside it's so tall.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Originally posted by Rebel
    ...I do not blame my instructor for any of this damage, he's a great teacher and friend that I should be very grateful to have him even help me to begin with since it's my own personal computer system.
    If any friend of mine had helped me like that they wouldn't be allowed to touch my PC again. However, it is good that this is resolved. I tend to stay away from places like CompUSA since I find they will do their best to disagree with you regardless if the problem is their fault or not. Honestly, I am shocked they even worked with you on replacing any parts.
    - Mark

Glad you were able to get everything worked out. I've had problems with other companies that have done nothing to resolve the issue. Guess you just have to be persistent.

The risk of closing bridges using artic silver is minimal. I use a spacer between the CPU and the metal cooling block anyway, so any excess AS would go on the spacer. I have a very nice Swifttech CPU cooler with AS2 paste. Keeps an Athlon XP 1800+ under 40 Celsius quite effectively with a case temperature of around 24 Celsius. Only problem is the fan that on the block rotates at 8000 RPM, making it rather noisy.
    Proud member of the RIAA closed quaters combat cell !!!
    You'd better drop that CD-R before I shoot you !!!

I use a spacer between the CPU and the metal cooling block anyway, so any excess AS would go on the spacer.
    A thing with cheap spacers or shims are that they short out the bridges sometimes and it does shorten the life of your proc a bit. I would recommend getting the anodized aluminum (I think they are aluminum) spacers-- Not the copper spacers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12