Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile How is 1and1.com dedicated servers?

Hello,

I run a medium to high traffic blog (using Wordpress). Till now I have been on shared hosting but I know I will need to move up to either a VPS or a dedicated server soon.

I am looking around and 1and1.com seems to offer fairly good hardware for just $100 a month.

Could I get some feedback on how their service is? Also recommendations on other hosts (dedicated or VPS) is also welcome; my budget is max of $100 a month.

Thanks.

They do have some really good deal, but in my oppion their bandwith isnt all that good.

They claim "1&1 offers a dedicated 100 Mbps port speed for all our dedicated servers at no extra charge".

100 Mbps is a lot in my book...I don't think a blog would need any more than that.

You mostly likely wont have to have a 100Mb port if you are just now jumping from shared hosting environment to a VPS or dedicated server environment. I'd recommend stepping up to a VPS so you can learn the management of a system that is dedicated to your sites first with a good amount of bandwidth and RAM. Check your current account for how much bandwidth you use monthly and try to find a host that will help you migrate your data to the new host environment. Make sure you aren't having to change control panels if you are used to one, and if you need one now, make sure you get a control panel at your next host. You should find lots of good offers on the webhostingtalk.com 'Offers' section and searching for reviews isn't a bad idea either. Good luck.
    - Donovan K
    Want to monitor and manage your customers Windows systems by Client software, web portal, or mobile phone?
    Automated scripts, patching, and remote access too? Ask me how!

Go with a dedicated not a VPS, since VPS's still have shared resources.

Based on what I have read on WHT, 1and1 isn't very popular here. Use the search function to see what turns up.

Best
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    Server Management - Unlimited Servers. Unlimited Requests. One Plan!
    cPanel Varnish Plugin -- Seamless SSL Caching (Let's Encrypt, AutoSSL, etc)
    Slow Site or Server? Unable to handle traffic? Same day performance fix: joe@unixy

Definitely check the offer's section. There are a lot of specials out there.

Good luck in your search.

Agreed. Do a search on 1 & 1 for reviews and you won't like what you see... They do offer good pricing on the dedicated servers, but I would recommend sterring clear of them from prior experiences.

Our community did not have a good experience with them but this was 3 years ago, so I would try to get more recent feedback.

As for my recommendation I would suggest a VPS as your budget is fairly low. A VPS will help you meet your feature requirements while maintaining your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by server24k View Post
    Go with a dedicated not a VPS, since VPS's still have shared resources.
    For $100 he is able to get a decent Hybrid system through a reputable company.

For example - https://www.wiredtree.com/orders/ded...plan=15&step=1

I've not used WT myself, but they're a name that comes up time and time again amongst happy people, so definitely an option to consider.

Thank you all for the responses.

Until now I did not think of a hybrid solution. However that WT one looks pretty nice. Time to do a little bit more research.

I'd recommend staying away from 1And1 and looking at a VPS. Probably the best fit for you right now

1and1 has few good value

I have 1and1 server for about 6 months and never faced a single downtime during this period. They have telphone support also but one biggest bad thing is that even with huge amount of servers they are managing, they don't have any ticket system in place.

Good thing about 1and1

1. Free SSL (Value of US$ 50 per year)
    2. Free FTP backup (160 GB). More than US$ 50 per month value.
    3. Best dedicated hosting control panel I have ever used. Few features which are available in their control panel are operating system reinstall, dns management, emails management.
    4. System reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by shahzadgodil View Post
    I have 1and1 server for about 6 months and never faced a single downtime during this period. They have telphone support also but one biggest bad thing is that even with huge amount of servers they are managing, they don't have any ticket system in place.

Good thing about 1and1

1. Free SSL (Value of US$ 50 per year)
    2. Free FTP backup (160 GB). More than US$ 50 per month value.
    3. Best dedicated hosting control panel I have ever used. Few features which are available in their control panel are operating system reinstall, dns management, emails management.
    4. System reboot.
    Some people have ragged on 1and1's shared systems, but a couple who posted here seemed suspicious, and when some of us tried to check them out, we got nowhere.

In any case, I have the top-of-the-line 1and1 Titan Linux server. If you check the offering, there's lots of bang for the buck. Some hosts will exceed the six terabyte bandwidth allotment (and that is something we are rapidly approaching, by the way) with similar pricing. But all the extras 1and1 provides make it a super deal.

Their dedicated support staff is domestic, based at their headquarters near Philadelphia, and are quite knowledgeable and helpful within the terms of your contract. We have the "root" server, which means they support the network and the hardware. Rather than use the supplied Plesk 9 control panel (which is wretched, and that's an understatement), I have my own cPanel license, and cPanel's superb support covers most everything else, so I don't have to fret over much except my own content. With 1and1's root server, you can easily reimage it with any of several Linux operating systems offered in their admin panel, so installing your own control panel or whatever you want is easy.

Do I recommend them? Absolutely, but with a caveat to satisfy the board monitors. Yes, we run their ad banners on our sites, and yes we make money from them. But we have never run a host's banners unless we currently use them and can vouch for them personally.

For those thinking about VPS, 1and1 offers that, too, but they also have a $99.99 dedicated that is, I think, better than most any VPS I know about.

As to other hosts: Well, 10tb.com seems to also offer quite a package and customer support seems good. I also like HostICan and HostGator, but neither offers a lot of dedicated server options (though the former can build a custom box for you if you ask them).
    Last edited by Captain Marvel; 04-24-2009 at 06:10 PM.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel
    Host/Executive Producer, The Paracast, www.theparacast.com
    I do not represent the hosting industry!

Thanks for the extra info on 1and1. However I will probably go with WiredTree if I can get on that double memory hybrid deal that just ended a few days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakjin View Post
    Thanks for the extra info on 1and1. However I will probably go with WiredTree if I can get on that double memory hybrid deal that just ended a few days ago.
    Compared to half a dozen dedicated server hosts I know about, some of which I listed (not just 1and1, by the way), I configured an equivalent box at WiredTree and their price was double that of the competition. Doesn't seem like a good value to me at all.

Another possibility is Single Hop, which seems to provide good value for dollars spent.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
    Compared to half a dozen dedicated server hosts I know about, some of which I listed (not just 1and1, by the way), I configured an equivalent box at WiredTree and their price was double that of the competition. Doesn't seem like a good value to me at all.

Another possibility is Single Hop, which seems to provide good value for dollars spent.
    How reliable are these other hosts and can I get more specifics? I am looking for managed service also just so you know; I have found servers cheaper than WT but with managed services they come out more expensive.

How reliable are these other hosts and can I get more specifics? I am looking for managed service also just so you know; I have found servers cheaper than WT but with managed services they come out more expensive.
    I have had dedicated servers with HostICan, HostGator and 1and1. All three are totally reliable. Depending on your needs, you can depend on any of them, based on my personal experience.

At present, I still keep a server at HostICan, in addition to the 1and1 server, which houses my main content. As you can tell if you check my sites from my signature, they are commercial ventures, and I depend on them to put food on the table. I require exceptional reliability. I wouldn't remain a customer of any company that doesn't meet my exceedingly high requirements.

Both HostGator and 1and1 provide fully managed dedicated servers, by the way, at no extra cost. And they don't nickel and dime you to get the features others charge extra for.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel

I have had dedicated servers with HostICan, HostGator and 1and1. All three are totally reliable. Depending on your needs, you can depend on any of them, based on my personal experience.

At present, I still keep a server at HostICan, in addition to the 1and1 server, which houses my main content. As you can tell if you check my sites from my signature, they are commercial ventures, and I depend on them to put food on the table. I require exceptional reliability. I wouldn't remain a customer of any company that doesn't meet my exceedingly high requirements.

Both HostGator and 1and1 provide fully managed dedicated servers, by the way. And they don't nickel and dime you to get the features others charge extra for.
    I used HostGator shared for a while so I agree they are a good host. But their dedicated is very expensive. Here is a quick comparison:

HostGator - $174 a month for a P4 2.4 Ghz, 1 gig of RAM, and 1500 GB of transfer
    WT - $184 a month for a E7400 2.8 Ghz, 2 gig of RAM, 2000 GB of transfer

Price on WT can go as low as $124 per month if I do pay a setup fee, prepay 1 year in advanced and use 10% off coupon. Of course if I was able to get that $124 a month w/o the 1 year prepay or setup fee I would jump on it and that would be that but I don't feel comfortable paying that much upfront without ever using a host first.

HostIcan is even more expensive than HostGator.

I agree that 1and1 has great specs + fully managed for $99 (best deal at face value) which is why I was interested in them. But before I sign up with them I wanted to know how they are. However from this thread I hear bad things and general consensus is don't expect great things from them (especially in area of support).

I used HostGator shared for a while so I agree they are a good host. But their dedicated is very expensive. Here is a quick comparison:

HostGator - $174 a month for a P4 2.4 Ghz, 1 gig of RAM, and 1500 GB of transfer
    WT - $184 a month for a E7400 2.8 Ghz, 2 gig of RAM, 2000 GB of transfer

Price on WT can go as low as $124 per month if I do pay a setup fee, prepay 1 year in advanced and use 10% off coupon. Of course if I was able to get that $124 a month w/o the 1 year prepay or setup fee I would jump on it and that would be that but I don't feel comfortable paying that much upfront without ever using a host first.

HostIcan is even more expensive than HostGator.

I agree that 1and1 has great specs + fully managed for $99 (best deal at face value) which is why I was interested in them. But before I sign up with them I wanted to know how they are. However from this thread I hear bad things and general consensus is don't expect great things from them (especially in area of support).
    I have a colleague who got the $99 managed server from 1and1 and had a great experience with it. I have dealt with their support team on several occasions and had good responses to all issues.

Understand that their shared support, where occasional complaints result, is based overseas, at their offices in the Philippines. Dedicated support based at their U.S. headquarters in Pennsylvania (just off Route 30, near Media if you wish to know). A totally different team.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel

I have a colleague who got the $99 managed server from 1and1 and had a great experience with it. I have dealt with their support team on several occasions and had good responses to all issues.

Understand that their shared support, where occasional complaints result, is based overseas, at their offices in the Philippines. Dedicated support based at their U.S. headquarters in Pennsylvania (just off Route 30, near Media if you wish to know). A totally different team.
    So I hear. Now if only 1and1's money back guarantee applied to dedicated servers I would be on my way.

So I hear. Now if only 1and1's money back guarantee applied to dedicated servers I would be on my way.
    I suggest you contact their sales department and see if they can give you anything special. With the state of the economy, I'm reasonably sure that most companies will go the extra mile to get a decent-sized customer.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel

I suggest you contact their sales department and see if they can give you anything special. With the state of the economy, I'm reasonably sure that most companies will go the extra mile to get a decent-sized customer.
    I don't think the people at WiredTree are feeling the hit because they just won't budge on anything (so far)

But ya good suggestion - I will contact the 1and1 sales department to see what I can get out of them.

Thanks for all your help Capt.

Hi, I read your post on 1and1 servers. I have a dedicated server and I'm looking for a server admin. Can you recommend anyone who is very experienced with 1and1 and dedicated admin work.

Thanks

Brad

With 1 and 1, you get what you pay for - which isn't much. Their customer support is poor in my experience. Takes several support tickets to solve a simple problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast