Please tell: is marketing a cheap web hosting plan is a good idea?

I know people are craving for low cost unlimited plans for their websites. But is it really good for advertisers to market their site because of its unlimited features?

Everyone has a different opinion on unlimited/unmetered plans. Some people thrive cheap yearly cost unlimited plans while others look for plans with actual limits and a higher prices to the hopes to receive better quality service.

I personally detest unlimited plans. The main reason is because there is not a clear set limit that I can follow and know when I'm approaching. I have never seen an unlimited hard drive, and I have never seen a pipe that can pass unlimited amounts of bandwidth through it.

Some people would do great on an unlimited plan, but, I prefer to have my limits clearly established, instead of having to wait until I'm suspended one night and not even know. Hosts don't provide you a way to monitor your CPU/RAM usage unless you have shell access to a server.

I see.. there are lot unlimited plans. Even our web hosting service does have it. Thanks for you opinions!

Even i have seen many providers providing unlimited cost at cheap rates.. But i personally prefer to opt for limited plans because i prefer paying some extra bugs but having a reliable host..

I see.. there are lot unlimited plans. Even our web hosting service does have it. Thanks for you opinions!
    Bit of Fluff?
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

If potential customer has imagination about web hosting unlimited offers will scare his away. So that hosts only hope for the new customers. I suppose not many people willing to move to the such host

Well a lot of big and successful web hosting companies are promoting their cheap and unlimited plans. And they are doing very well

Quote Originally Posted by hostbite View Post
    Well a lot of big and successful web hosting companies are promoting their cheap and unlimited plans. And they are doing very well

Yes. I agree on that.

Because a majority of sites will do fine on unlimited plans, as a majority of sites are static or basic PHP/SQL and don't use much resources, since they don't receive many visitors. Generally people with a decent website and that have experiance with web hosting will stay away from these offers.

Those hosts also have tickets coming in from the same clients over and over about how to do things.

I'd say: Never, NEVER take cheap plans that offer you unlimited anything; atleast not when you need a lot of Webspace/Bandwith, as they just won't be able to host your website as they say unlimied; but mean: "we do have a limit, (and will suspend your account when you reach it (yes, SOME do)), but we just don't tell you the actual limit", so take care with hosts offering unlimited anything, as that's just impossible, so when you need a lot of bandwith or webspace I just wouldn't go for a cheap "unlimited anything"-host, but that's just my oppinion though...

There is a lot of misunderstanding of what an unlimited plan is. As some of the posts here indicate, many people think that unlimited = infinite. This is not the case. Unlimited = no limit. An unlimited plan places no limit on the resources that will be allocated to your sites, usually within the framework of a use policy. We can do this because the size and nature of the websites that are allowed on a shared hosting server.

A typical website will use far less than the resources in the unlimited plan. Indeed, they use far less resources than in most of the limited plans that are offered. If your site is 1GB in size, a 10GB plan is just as unlimited as the 500 GB or unlimited GB plan.

In short unlimited = "you get what you need" without worrying about hitting some sort of quota wall.

Another misunderstanding is that the plan description and the server performance are the same thing. Given two identical servers containing the identical number and type of sites, but two different hosting plans, there is no difference in performance.

In other words, "hosting plans" are marketing devices, not server instructions

Any server admin worth his/her weight in salt that can work outside of a contril panel can successfully manage unlimited hosting plans.

The unlimited plan offers the customer peace of mind knowing that the resources his sites requires will be available without knowing what those requirements are now or in the future.

On a side note: Carefully inspect the plans that the critics of unlinited plans have and you will see the term "unlimited" liberally sprinkled in their plan. You will find here that the criticism of hosts offering unlimited plans is in itself a marketing ploy by the critics as a form of competing against the unlimited plan hosts.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

I am a critic of unlimited disk space and bandwidth plans as there is not a set limit that you can view. You will end up waking up one night suspended because your site used too many resources that have either been hidden deep within a ToS or is not actually there, you just reach it when you do.

Generally, when you start reaching a normal bandwidth limit, you will know it's about time to get either an upgraded account or a VPS.

Unlimited disk space and bandwidth...you know for a fact people are going to sign up because they really think it will be unlimited. And that is who you are targeting, unsuspecting people that do not know any better.

We use unlimited for databases, email accounts, etc. However, we spell out on our packages page that you are still limited to other things such as diskspace.

When you go cheap you get poor service. As far as for the "unlimited", I think that we can not do much. Obviously most shared web hosting turned to oversellers.
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Works Hosting View Post
    I know people are craving for low cost unlimited plans for their websites. But is it really good for advertisers to market their site because of its unlimited features?
    Later

Fluff? I think that's an understatement.
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On-site Engineers