Thread: Uptime question

Uptime question

Throughout the day I check on my domain and most times it's fine. However, maybe 10% of the time I go there and it just hangs until I get a 'Page cannot be displayed error'. If I wait anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds later it works again if I refresh the page.

This happens if I go to cpanel console also so it's not a problem with my website. When I emailed support they say it's fine on their end so maybe it's a problem with my isp. Yet I can visit other websites just fine.

My question is whether this is normal. Also, is there some kind of service where they ping the domain at certain intervals to check whether it's up?

Thanks.

You can use easymonitor.com. It is free and it will check your site every 15 minutes I believe.

Or next time this happens, try a trace rout.

Start, Run, cmd, tracert yourdomain.com Check to see where the time out is. I hope this helps.

Actually, the error is, "Cannot find server or DNS error". Also, I ran EasyMonitor and clicked on a link in cpanel console at the time it ran the easymonitor test. It passed ok by easymonitor, but the link was continuosly hanging even after I clicked it multiple times after getting the error.

Any ideas?

Good ole cpanel hanging Apache processes?
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

What you are experiencing is not normal. I have a host like that, it's a poor host.

You might also try alertra, which will spot check from 4 different cities an inputted URL. Another free monitoring service is internetseer, that gives average response time in its weekly report.
    You'll get fewer complaints from over performing than from over promising.

Is cpanel the culprit? Because it's not only cpanel I can't access. More importantly I can't access my domain. Funny thing is now it's working like lightening. Most of the time it is fine. Only short 5-30 sec intervals every now and then when it hangs and I get that "Cannot find server or DNS error".

I really don't want to switch hosts as they've been generally good about things in general.

Right after I wrote that message where I said it was working like lightening I checked my domain and of course it was hanging! I refreshed after 5 seconds of getting error and now it works! Why is this? Has anyone ever experienced such a thing? Should I really switch hosts?

Slow dns maybe?
    *AlphaOmegaHosting.Com* - Hosting since 1998
    Managed Dedicated Servers and VPS
    Hosted Exchange 2010 Email Service

Is slow dns something the host can fix? Should I email them saying, 'Hey, fix your slow dns, please.'? Do other people thing it's slow dns problem?

PM me the domain and I will poke at it a bit.
    *AlphaOmegaHosting.Com* - Hosting since 1998
    Managed Dedicated Servers and VPS
    Hosted Exchange 2010 Email Service