Question Would a search/database like this be do-able?

I've got an idea of something I'd like to offer several companies I may be building websites for, but thought I'd find out if it's doable first. I'm just learning PHP and wouldn't try to write it myself but don't want to spend thousands on having it done.
    It seems like it should be doable, but I've been wrong before.

I'd like to offer a feature on a website that would allow customers to:
    1. Search available inventory for a particular item, say 1989 Porsche.
    2. If item isn't found, a window/option would come up saying "would you like to be notified by e-mail when a 1989 Porsche is available?"
    3. Customer fills out form with e-mail address, name, phone, etc. and submits.
    4. Someone trades in a 1989 Porsche. When it's entered into the website database, a list comes up saying these people are interested, do you want to send an e-mail to them?
    5. If yes, salesman fills in details on car and sends.
    6. Info on customers the e-mail was sent to is sent to salesman for followup.
    Going back to original search, even if search terms bring up results, customer should have option to be notified if more inventory comes in.
    The host it would be running on has mysql 3.23.53a, PHP 4.2.2
    Perl 5.006001 on Apache 1.3.26

If you know of any sites that run something like this, I'd love to see them. Or if there are scripts available for a similar type of program. I'd like to know what kinds of options the search for customers/send e-mail would perform automatically.
    Thanks.
    Laura K.
    http://www.madmousergraphics.com
    graphic design for grownups

All of that is perfectly possibly in PHP/mySQL (or Perl/mySQL) but I don't know of any scripts that would do it. Personally if I wanted something like that I'd just write it myself.

Try hotscripts.com first though.

be do-able? YES

This is what we call dynamic website. Your project can be done in most of the web languages/databases.
    If you plan to develop yourself, go for easy way php/mysql
    If you plan to find a free script for it, then hotscripts.com(as Rich recommended) can be an option
    Otherwise hire a developer, let it done in few weeks
    MHO
    Gokhan Arli
    Web Developer(RubyOnRails/MySQL/.NET)
    www.sylow.net

Thanks for the replies. Good to know it can be done. I'm starting to learn about dynamic databases. Even if I don't do the programming myself -- I know my limitations -- it helps to know the possibilities.
    Laura K.

Laura K,

What you are looking to do is a fairly easy application to write. I suggest you writing down every thing to site needs to do and then break each one of those steps into more detail. You should design your database first and then the code (php). I donít know what everybody thinks but I find it easier to think about an app before sitting down and pounding away at the keyboard. I also agree with Rich, PHP/MySQL would be the easiest way to program it.

John
    John Trovato
    In Office Networks, LLC
    Programmer, Cisco Network Engineer, Roofer, Biochemist, and Conductor.

Yes I would agree... you MUST define your database structure first (especially if you are going to normalise it). Then start coding.

Thanks. When I get to the point of needing it done, I'll subcontract it out. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be some huge, expensive project.
    I've gotten in trouble with that sort of thing before, where I told a client, sure, no problem, and it turned out to be a huge and extremely expensive problem.
    Laura K.

good luck
    John Trovato
    In Office Networks, LLC
    Programmer, Cisco Network Engineer, Roofer, Biochemist, and Conductor.