hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Hosting Security and Technology : how can i identify what is using my swap memory?

Forum Jump

how can i identify what is using my swap memory?

Reply Post New Thread In Hosting Security and Technology Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Junior Guru

how can i identify what is using my swap memory?

Hi guys,

i wanted to know if there is any specific way (maybe logs) to see what is using the swap memory of a dedicated server..

its a server with 8GB ram.. it has 60% of memory used, and a constant swap memory usage of 30%.. i thought that in normal conditions swap memory was not used..

its a centos / cPanel/WHM based server

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2009, 01:57 PM
cPanel is your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredhosting View Post
it has 60% of memory used, and a constant swap memory usage of 30%..
Is this from your cpanel or from your telnet TOP command?

Multiple Backups | Average Response Time: 20 min | Toll Free: 1-855-ECO-HOST

Old 04-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Disabled

Hey

If you're only using 60% of your actual memory, but it is displaying you are using swap, the issue is that probably at one point or another, your memory usage jumped to 100% and your server started using swap. To clear this, you just need to simply restart the machine. It's not a big deal actually, as it's not probably actually "swapping" since a machine will only use swap if it is out of memory. It is just reporting that it is. I'd say just wait for your next reboot, and then it will be gone.

I'd also recommend installing something that will notify you when your memory usage goes above a certain point. That way you can see what the problem is as it is occurring and that way this does not happen again. It will allow you to put a stop to it before it gets out of hand.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Junior Guru

the thing is that the swap usage is not stable.. it goes from 20% to 30% so i guess that there is something running on backend using swap memory.. such as email script or something strange..

maybe there was a log or way to see what was using swap memory.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Warp Speed!

To find out how much a certain process is using of swap space, start top and when it loads, type the letter 'f', wait a second or two then type the letter 'p', hit enter. To order your list of processes by their use of swap, enter the letter 'F', then 'p', finally hit the enter key and then the letter 'W'. All letters are case sensitive.

Best

L- We LOVE helping our clients!

Old 04-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredhosting View Post
Hi guys,

i wanted to know if there is any specific way (maybe logs) to see what is using the swap memory of a dedicated server..

its a server with 8GB ram.. it has 60% of memory used, and a constant swap memory usage of 30%.. i thought that in normal conditions swap memory was not used..

its a centos / cPanel/WHM based server

Thanks
My recommendation was because you said the swap usage was at a constant 30% which would leave me to believe that it is in fact not swapping. If it is not constant, aka not stable at 30%, then that can defiantly mean it is using swap.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Quote:
To find out how much a certain process is using of swap space, start top and when it loads, type the letter 'f', wait a second or two then type the letter 'p', hit enter. To order your list of processes by their use of swap, enter the letter 'F', then 'p', finally hit the enter key and then the letter 'W'. All letters are case sensitive.
Only press W if you want to save that as a default setup.

You may want to turn on the page faults column too which will show those processes where swapping is happening rather than long-term swap usage.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:36 PM
cPanel is your friend

Do you run SMF in your server? If yes, I have a script which can shows useful stats. Check it here: www.dpgr.gr/status.php

Multiple Backups | Average Response Time: 20 min | Toll Free: 1-855-ECO-HOST

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
App-Aware Storage Provider Tintri Raises $75M in Pre-IPO Funding Round Web Hosting News 2014-02-13 12:56:26
Swedish Cloud Provider to Beta Test Windows Azure Pack Web Hosting News 2013-11-18 10:58:37
DreamHost Adds OpenStack Havana Updates to DreamCompute Beta Service Web Hosting News 2013-11-04 11:00:38
Microsoft Azure Swap Deployment Feature Restored After Global Outage Web Hosting News 2013-10-31 11:16:53
MIT Researchers Propose New Hardware Design to Encrypt Cloud Web Hosting News 2013-07-08 11:15:26