Question Shared Hosting vs. Reseller

Hello all, couple questions for the general population. I've been looking around for possible hosting solutions.

I love my current host Crystaltech.com , they are the best in support, uptime and stability. I would recommend them to anybody who fit their plans. That being said, I think I need to leave them. Their Pricing per disk space and bandwidth is not going to cut it for one of my growing community based sites and the changes we'd like to make.

I run a few client domains who don't need e-mail off of one IP and account at crystaltech and the one community site domain off of another with a meager 3% "reseller discount". Equating to about $40.00 a month.

Now I've searched around at some hosting sites and noticed that sometimes getting a reseller account is much cheaper then buying several regular hosting accounts. My reservations about many of these is though they offer Unlimited Domains and unlimited e-mails etc, I end up hearing in the end that the e-mail are only for the primary domain, the others are just pointers with no e-mail or a charge to set up e-mail for it.

Second part... I've noticed some of the reseller accounts hosts have tend to be cheaper then their actual shared hosting accounts. For example a host I have been reading up on. Vortech's (vortechhosting.com) windows 2000 Pro Web account $25 setup fee, $70 per month. Their subsidiary Matrix web hosting (matrixreseller.com) offers the basic Cypher Plan reseller packager for no setup fee and $35 per month. Plus you get over a gig more disk space and 10 gigs more bandwidth. Heck it looks like I could hook my friends up with accounts at Matrix and bill them. heheh.

I don't mean to pick on Matrix and Vortech, they just happened to get the short straw when I picked some sites to make the comparison.

So here are the questions.
    Anybody know of some good hosts that offer e-mail for all domains for no additional charge you can e-mail me, that would be great?
    For this posting though, what are peoples thought on having seperate hosting plans vs a big reseller plan to host all your stuff? Pros and Cons.

Re: Shared Hosting vs. Reseller

Originally posted by SuTech
    For this posting though, what are peoples thought on having seperate hosting plans vs a big reseller plan to host all your stuff? Pros and Cons.
    Personal opinion...on a reseller plan you are going to be up against others who are also trying to host "all their stuff" as opposed to a more controlled environment. That's not to say it doesn't work, but the likelihood of problems is increased.

Gary

SuTech I don't mind.. But you are right you get a LOT more in a reseller package. Thats because "most" really know what there doing meaning we don't have to give them very much support like shared account were we hold there hand if needed.

Actually...

I find my shared hosting customers don't have as many questions as the resellers..

Probably because I have more resellers than share but

Agreed. Our resellers get asked questions by their own clients and can sometimes past these on in volume.

Gary

faculty, Editor you are right resellers can also be a huge pain in the but at times.. But for us it seems as long as ever thingis running good not many tickets at all.

Re: Shared Hosting vs. Reseller

Originally posted by SuTech

There was a (more or less) simmilar thread lately:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=84021

I think having a reseller account would be much easier as long as you get the good support. You'll have a huge space and BW and you'll split among your sites as you like. you can upgrade/downgrade everything by yourself as needed.

Plus if you don't mind some more challenge you can offer hosting to your friends and people. Meaning; some extra work (providing support, billing etc) and some extra income...

But I haven't heard about this e-mail story... I thought when they say unlimited e-mails, it means that you have unlimited real e-mail accounts for each of your hosted domain names...
    Anyone?

If it is a cpanel reseller account every domain should get it's own mail.domain.com

I have found that our reseller servers perform really well. Resellers seem to attract the more basic webmaster with non dynamic content which equals more stability. Also, our resellers seem to be quite knowledgeable and we hardly hear a peep out of them.

Long live the resellers!
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

I used to be with shared hosting until I wanted to host several domains. On one domain [sdsym.net] I have a forum, on another [sdsym.com] I have a site, and coming soon [zonedesigns.com] I will have graphics downloads.

Now I thought about this before I got my hosting and thought, what will be easier for me? I asked quite a lot of questions and figured out that reseller accounts are the way to go. Now i've had a reseller account for 1 1/2 months and I've been very happy. I have CPanel5 and WHM, each domain I host gets its own CPanel5, and email addresses, and so on, it's just like normal, but I'm in total control .

I would recommend reseller hosting, I think the packages are mostly good depending on the host you go with but remember that you must make sure you get good support! I am happy with my support at my reseller host. So be careful with which host you choose!

But final thought is I honestly think reseller is just in the end a full advantage
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>

Usually when there is a reseller account, you have to buy the package at the normal price, and then any accounts after that you get the discounted prices. I might be wrong, but I've seen most companies like this.

I got a reseller account at prioritycolocation.com for the same reason you did. Why pay for seperate accounts or a small reseller discount when you can use all the bulk reseller space and bandwidth for a much smaller price.

But the deciding point is... do YOU want to answer all the tech questions for your client, or would you rather have the client talk to the host direct. SInce I am always asked before they would call the host. My choice was simple.
    http://www.ChicagoJobResource.com
    Chicago Job Resource
    YOUR career connection for Chicago jobs, careers and employment

Originally posted by hostingplex
    Usually when there is a reseller account, you have to buy the package at the normal price, and then any accounts after that you get the discounted prices. I might be wrong, but I've seen most companies like this.
    That is the "old" way of doing it.

Most Hosting companies just give their resellers a large amount of space and bandwidth to carve up as they please.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

Everybody has been very helpful. I will be going with a reseller account of some kind. It's always good to have plenty of time to research options and not rush into any decisions, so I will let everybody know who I choose and why, in case it seems helpful to any others later down the road.