from reseller to managed dedicated server

Hi!

Just want to know if you guys have insights on the when? why? how? and even what?

thanks.

I help entrepreneurs develop online branding. I value my clients and build relationships. I am a friend.
    Let me assist you with your website design, logo design and other graphics needs.
    Ganah Solutions, a brand creation agency. Solidify your brand. Connect your business.

Usually, you progress to a dedicated server from being just a reseller when you find that getting a dedicated server is more cost-effective (ie. cost for diskspace and transfer).

You can also make the switch if you have enough clients to justify it, or if you need the flexibility of having your own server.

Peter

How do you exactly switch tho? And can you do it without your clients finding out? Are there places that offer reseller accounts where you can upgrade to a dedicated after it gets too big? What are those companies?

you'll probably have to move even if you upgrade within the same company since other clients will be on with you.

Why would you want to do it without your clients finding out? It would almost definitely be faster than what they're on before the move, unless you go to a much slower computer.

Just tell them you're going to a faster/more reliable network and you decided to grandfather everyone so it won't cost them any more for this improvement.
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival

Originally posted by thomor25
    How do you exactly switch tho? And can you do it without your clients finding out? Are there places that offer reseller accounts where you can upgrade to a dedicated after it gets too big? What are those companies?
    Well, some web hosters might have dedicated servers apart from shared ones but usually the transition is not going to be that transparent. Yes, we can do what we can to only minimize downtime or files not in sync.

Dedicated servers are usually unmanaged which means that you would need to know how to manage a server and be able to tweak within Linux Shell if you need to configure something specific which the Control Panel does not provide. The level of support you get from your web host would be different since a shared account is usually managed and a dedicated no matter how managed does not come with the same hand-holding provided.

Usually, you will be given new IP addresses and if you have your own Dedicated servers you might want to host the DNS on the server itself (at least one of them) and that takes time to populate.

Perhaps, before you do any switch over, inform your clients that you are upgrading your hardware to a faster and better machine and to not update files within a window of time such as 48 hours to 72 hours (just in case). It depends on what you think, you probably do not need to inform your clients that you were on a shared virtual reseller's account. To them you are merely giving them a better place to call their home, faster performance, speed and probably new features without any additional fees. I am sure that most would be happy. For those who are not, perhaps you could still manage the virtual reseller's account for them for a while.

Make sure that before you switch over that you take the time to make sure that the new server is up and running. Some control panel such as Cpanel/WHM has a utility which allows you to bulk move sites or you could always move them one by one. I have not tried it so I cannot quite say.

Do maintain the two accounts (shared and dedicated) in parallel for at least two weeks to familiarize yourself and to ensure that everything is up and running smoothly.

At the same time, get a good linux apache book so when you need to do anything setups or tweaking, you have the information at arm's length.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

you'll also have to consider that any software you'll want, you'll have to pay for yourself, as well as security. That outside the realm of management in some cases (firewall etc).
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival

Are there managed dedicated servers? Cause i'm basically at the point where I'm a big boy but I still want to hold mommy's hand when I cross the street. I still want it managed to the point where I can be away for a period of time and not have to worry about checking email 24/7 or be oncall all the time incase something happens like coloc a server. I want the same care as a reseller account. Are there companies, and can you list them, that do this and also offer reseller and dedicated servers so I can "move up" persay in hardware as I get bigger but still have that same personal attention?

Originally posted by thomor25
    Are there managed dedicated servers? Cause i'm basically at the point where I'm a big boy but I still want to hold mommy's hand when I cross the street.
    Yup, there are managed dedicated servers. Different company have different definition of what 'managed' encompasses but of course if you need full service, you would probably need to pay extra.

One good example of a managed dedicated server would be Rackspace.com but their prices if you look into would be premium too. From what I hear, those who use their service have nothing but high praise for them. http://www.rackspace.com . They basically provides monitoring and software installation service.

On the other end, Nocster http://www.nocster.com provides basic administration which include system updates but of course, they are willing to help as far as they can. Not so much that 'hand holding' as you might want but at least there is some kind of support. If you need backup service or additional work, there are some charges to those.

Others such as Rackspace provides unmanaged servers which means the time the server is delivered to you, it is yours to handle, patch and update and so on. They only handle reboots and replacement of faulty hardware and maybe restoring the original system image.

But most system comes with a control panel so most of the basic work can be done there, such as set up of accounts and some monitoring and so on.

As for ensuring uptime of the server, you could probably sign up for some 3rd party monitoring system such as Alertra.com or EasyMonitor.com which would email you when your server is down. If you rent a remote bootup port, you could do the total reboot yourself or drop them a trouble ticket to ask for a reboot.

Hope that helps.

Edwin
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Consul -

First find a good dedicated provider
    Attain the server
    Learn how to set up your main site's name servers
    Make sure the system is running smooth
    Make sure creating accounts produce the results you are looking for.
    Inspect the server's logs for errors on each step.
    Do a reboot on the server
    Check logs
    Install and patch anything you wish to have done before you put accounts on the server.
    (There are a lot of other details but they have to do with your level of understanding of day to day operations)

When you are confident you can create accounts on the server start the process of gaining IP's for your resellers and for your main account.

Organize organize organize

Now find out what you can do between the systems to determine if you want your customers to move their own accounts, or if you can move them yourself.

(We work with providers to move accounts between servers)

Once you have decided how you're going to get the data from the old server and have actually moved this data (And informed your customers that have dynamic data and how this will affect them start the next step) to your new server send the IP's to your resellers, and also change your own name servers.

Now wait, and watch the server. When you notice that bandwidth is starting to be pulled from the server chekc your logs, see how the scripts and functions from your customer's accounts are working with the server, server load etc.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

can i ask:
    how to install software? get the server admin to do it for you...or go to the data center and do it all by my self?
    www.dengan.us

I am good at editing Joomla Template. Need my service? PM me!

Jane, depends on the datacenter.

We order the server and the local hardware contacts we have will install RedHat and deliver the server to the datacenter for us.

We then work with the datacenter to have whm/cpanel installed.

We are 45 minutes from our main datacenter so it's nothing for us to do the work ourselves, deliver hardware etc.

You can (Depending on the provider) ask them to install and configure software but expect some kind of base or hourly fee for this.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Originally posted by jane
    can i ask:
    how to install software? get the server admin to do it for you...or go to the data center and do it all by my self?
    Well, if you have the dedicated server (lease), the operating system and probably a control panel would already be installed. You could always get an SSH telnet program which allows you to enter in SHELL mode of the server (equivalent to the DOS prompt of Windows) and do your software installation there. You can do this over the internet.

Well, you could get the server admin to do it which probably would cost you something. Don't think you really need to go to the data center to do that.

thanks samuel and eddy for fast reply...

i dont know it is possible...to install over the net..
    www.dengan.us

It sure is. It all depends on what kind of server you have. If it is Linux then SSH/Telnet is the way to go.

If it is Windows, then maybe PCAnywhere would do since you can install as if you are in front of the server.

it surely "eats" up bandwirth?
    www.dengan.us

Well, can't be helped But I supposed if you have a dedicated server, you probably have about 100gb or more bandwidth per month. I do not think you will really be installing that much files over the line.

If you really are, you could always arrange with the web host to send them CD Collections which you want to install and have them install for you. Probably there is some installation charges.

thanks
    how kind of you...
    www.dengan.us