Server keeps crashing, what should I do?

I just sent a new server to a datacenter and it keeps crashing. It's a AMD 1600 Athalon with 1 gig of ram, 40 gig HD, Red Hat 7.2 with a new 2.4.19 kernel. I got the server from the vendor, installed 2 512 mb ram modules, installed a cdrom and then installed Red hat. I then packed it up and sent it to the datacenter where it booted cleanly and was online. Ever since then it just freezes and has to be manually rebooted. I tried the new kernel thinking that would help, but no luck. I then thought that it may be Webmin or Apache, cuz that's what I was working on. So I uninstalled the RPMs and reinstalled from source, but it froze after I installed webmin and was configuring apache. Is there a way to check the RAM and the hard drive?

login via ssh or telnet... and type "top" without the quotes... it will show cpu usage, memory usage, load averages, and the processes using the most resources... it may be a script on your server causing the crashes...

No scripts are running, this is a new server. There isn't even apache on it cuz it crashed in the middle of compiling that.

still, login and leave top running, and make sure there is nothing resource hogging crashing it... it could also be hardware conficts, bad hardware... software conflicts...

didnt you do a burn in before you sent it off?

No burn in....I was too excited about sending it and getting it going :-(

my friend had a new mother board the otherday

the capacitors on the board, near the memory screwed up, and that caused the server to crash daily. Maybe something to check

its probably a hardware issue

I hate to tell you, but your symptom of crashing during a compile is characteristic of Athlon processors. If you want to save yourself a LOT of heartache once this server is actively running, rebuild it with an Intel CPU.

Athlon fans out there will hate me for saying this, but I too have been burned

Originally posted by jimroe
    I hate to tell you, but your symptom of crashing during a compile is characteristic of Athlon processors.
    I'm not going to start a flame war, but that statement is a load of BS.

Run memtest on your machine. Perhaps the new RAM you installed in your machine is bad, not compatible with your mobo, etc.

Originally posted by jimroe
    I hate to tell you, but your symptom of crashing during a compile is characteristic of Athlon processors. If you want to save yourself a LOT of heartache once this server is actively running, rebuild it with an Intel CPU.

Athlon fans out there will hate me for saying this, but I too have been burned
    It's funny that you mention Athlon fans. Because as long as you have a decent one, Athlons work great.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

UPDATE:

I had them reinstall the OS.......I had Red Hat 7.2 and they're puting in 7.3 . I think I may have left somethin out when I upgraded the kernel and recomplied it 4 times :-)

If that does't cure the crashing I'm going to have he memory checked ( memtest ) . The colo place has been very nice considering I've needed like 10 reboots , but I think they did move my server next to the tech's desk to cut down on travel tme :-)

Hi,

When running a web server always always... use ECC memory.

Also you could have power supply problems as well.

And if you have a highly loaded server you may want to increase the amount of maxclients from 256 to 512. You may need to recompile Apache.

Last but not least your 4.00 am crash usually caused by slocate.cron in the /etc/cron.daily/ folder move it to another location.

Hope this helps.

-Frank
    Innovativecreations.com
    Unix based hosting.

i have used amd athlon for most of our servers since it is cost effective. The only thing I notice for people that gotten into athlon also, they going into cheap NIC card such as LINKSYS LNE100TX, if you have that than it will crash like every time.

Other than that i dont think mb or even memory make lots of different.