hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting Talk Tutorials : Web Hosting Tutorials : Top 10 Questions Before Choosing A Web Host !!

Forum Jump

Top 10 Questions Before Choosing A Web Host !!

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Tutorials Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 04:13 AM
Disabled

Top 10 Questions Before Choosing A Web Host !!

When you are searching for a web hosting company it can be a daunting task with so many web hosting companies out in the web universe today. Here are the top 10 questions ask before choosing a web hosting company.

1. Space - How much disk space will you require/need?

2. Bandwidth - Cover your needs and allow for expansion if needed.

3. Budget Set a realistic budget for yourself. How much are you willing to spend? lowest price too highest. Being a little flexible on your price will give more hosting choices.

4. Support - Do they provide at least 24/7 Support Desk? Support is very important, this is a must. You should have access to support 24 hours a day. Test the support desk. Choose anytime of the day or night and contact the support desk to test response times, ask any questions you might have. Do you need phone support or live chat support. ask these questions before you sign up with a web host.

5. Don't forget to read the web hosting company TOS & privacy policy.

6. Features - Ask yourself what features you would like to have. Do you want one-click-scripts installers like fantastico or installatron? Do you want a website builder? Do you require a money-back guarantee? What kind of uptime does the web host provide? Anything above 98% is considered pretty well.

7. Control Panels - Do you want Cpanel, DirectAdmin, or Plesk?

8. Are there any setup charges, account migration charges or any hidden charges?

9. Try to get test download file so as to crosscheck their network speed.

10.Do they offer any coupons or special deals?

Hope this helps you out in your journey to finding a web host. Thank you and god bless.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2009, 05:05 AM
Web Hosting Master

There are tons of "how to choose" pages and articles around the web and yours don't say anything new. Sorry that I have to say this. Please do not offend. I'm not moralizing... however it is not the best practice to post threads on topics that are broadly discussed before .

24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Old 04-10-2009, 05:09 AM
Disabled

This is for new combers to the web hosting industry and I think it will help them out in there journey to finding a web host. Don't understand why you are hating on me .

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2009, 05:45 AM
Web Hosting Master

Yes, However, You will also notice your thread will be further and further down the list and before long it will be outdated... Therefore it would service no purpose to new comers at all, Cause I am sure they will not search down the pages to find your particular thread.

l www.spiralhosting.com Chief Technical Officer Superior Service Guarantee

Old 04-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Disabled

Man I never thought I would get so many negitive thoughts from WHT. All I am doing is trying to help people. Its like you shooting me in the back because I am trying to help people. I am in shock!!!! Never would of thought this would happen on WHT!!! I have posted this article on other forums and people thank me for it. As for this being outdated I would not have to agree. Everything I talk about can be use in 5-10 years easy.

Last edited by CyberWorldHosting; 04-10-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Web Hosting Master

I never said anything bad about it or you, I was more pointing out to the fact that yes your article is helpful but it would only be helpful to those who are actually interested in reading it..

If anything, It would be more and well suited to a Blog rather than a Forum where it would only get outdated and move down the ladder wen new threads are submitted.

We are not exactly shooting you in the back and we are definitely not criticising your for making the post, We are just making our general opinions on the post.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:26 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

I have to agree with JetWash... and your tips/info is very subjective (maybe to your offerings).

There are many more CP's out there then Cpanel, DirectAdmin, or Plesk. So why even bring it up?

Coupons? If I based my hosting decisions on coupons, that would be embarrassing... look at the "value", what makes a particular host stand out?

Quote:
Anything above 98% is considered pretty well.
Again, this is subjective. To a person that wants to host their personal site this may be acceptable. To a business it's not even close in my opinion.

To put it in perspective "if" a new user would read this thread: 98% would simply mean out of every 100 hours the server could be down 2 hours and this would be considered normal operations. Way to low for a serious business or online store.

I'm not trying to pick apart your post, but you can see hosting is very subjective to the requirements and expectations of those looking for hosting. One person may think $30 a month for shared hosting running years of 99.9x % uptime is a complete rip-off, others with a business may be happy as clams over that price.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcstatic View Post
I have to agree with JetWash... and your tips/info is very subjective (maybe to your offerings).

There are many more CP's out there then Cpanel, DirectAdmin, or Plesk. So why even bring it up?

Coupons? If I based my hosting decisions on coupons, that would be embarrassing... look at the "value", what makes a particular host stand out?

Again, this is subjective. To a person that wants to host their personal site this may be acceptable. To a business it's not even close in my opinion.

To put it in perspective "if" a new user would read this thread: 98% would simply mean out of every 100 hours the server could be down 2 hours and this would be considered normal operations. Way to low for a serious business or online store.

I'm not trying to pick apart your post, but you can see hosting is very subjective to the requirements and expectations of those looking for hosting. One person may think $30 a month for shared hosting running years of 99.9x % uptime is a complete rip-off, others with a business may be happy as clams over that price.
Well for one I offer 99.9% uptime. For coupon opinon, almost all web host have them if they don't thats bad business to me.

Quote:
I never said anything bad about it or you, I was more pointing out to the fact that yes your article is helpful but it would only be helpful to those who are actually interested in reading it..

If anything, It would be more and well suited to a Blog rather than a Forum where it would only get outdated and move down the ladder wen new threads are submitted.

We are not exactly shooting you in the back and we are definitely not criticising your for making the post, We are just making our general opinions on the post.
It is only helpful to people that want to read it, thats a given. I like all of opinions but its seems like you guys are attacking me. I am not trying to mean or anything just giving my opinon.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Well for one I offer 99.9% uptime.
So does mainly every ones else.

Quote:
For coupon opinon, almost all web host have them if they don't thats bad business to me.
So if say Hostgator did not offer any promotional coupons that would be bad business? - So you are expecting something for nothing?

Quote:
It is only helpful to people that want to read it, thats a given. I like all of opinions but its seems like you guys are attacking me. I am not trying to mean or anything just giving my opinon.
I welcome your opinion Cyberworld, But this sort of post has been posted before, I cannot see anything different about it than what you could go search on Google for.

It does not interest me, But it might interest someone else for sure. But i'll stick to what I have said before in my previous posts.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Web Host Extraordinaire!!!

This appears to be more of a preparation guide for the potential customer than a list of questions to ask a provider - which I can say I have not seen often although I have seen it enough for this to be "old news".

As for all of you other people who have responded and bashed the OP or bashed somebody else - chill out.

http://www.mddhosting.com/ - Providing Quality Services since 2007

Old 04-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Webhosting Professional

Generic guidelines is more like it

Old 04-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Web Hosting Master

It was more opinionised on my behalf rather than Bashing the OP. If I was going to bash the OP in which were not my intention Mike, You would of seen it

Old 04-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
4. Support - Do they provide at least 24/7 Support Desk? Support is very important, this is a must. You should have access to support 24 hours a day. Test the support desk. Choose anytime of the day or night and contact the support desk to test response times, ask any questions you might have. Do you need phone support or live chat support. ask these questions before you sign up with a web host.
This may not work since a potential client can not open technical support tickets; and sales will not be a 24/7 service with most of the providers.

Last edited by iHubNet-Matt; 04-10-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Web Host Extraordinaire!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
This may not work since a potential client can not open technical support tickets and sales will not be a 24/7 service with most of the providers.
Some providers allow e-mail addresses not listed on an account to contact support and some do not.

http://www.mddhosting.com/ - Providing Quality Services since 2007

Old 04-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Webhosting Professional

Some have "after hours" support based off a pager system. So yes its not a universal measuring stick.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted