Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation !! BEWARE !! 2mhost.com is a JOKE

For those of you who visit this web site in search of information to help you decide on a web hosting company, I strongly urge you to read this carefully.

Based on the actions of individuals employeed at 2mhost.com, it is my opinion that this company is very unprofessional and does not value potential clients.

Here's my story:

I'm currently working in Bangkok, Thailand as a Consultant for a large telecom. As a side project, I started developing a personal web site and was in need of reliable, inexpensive hosting. I found 2mhost.com and decided to register. The process was simple enough, and I was told that my account would be activated within 6 hours, pending credit card authorization. Well, more than 24 hours passed and I still had not received confirmation. So, I visited 2mhost.com to find a Customer Service phone # but was unable to. So I submitted an on-line contact form. At that point, I assumed that since I placed my order the previous evening it might take a bit longer to process. This afternoon (Bangkok time), I received the following email from 2mhost.com:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From: "2MHost.com Contracts Dept." <contracts@2msrv6.com>
    RE: 2cute4u.com

just take an air-plane tonight from Thailand to USA and place your
    order from there so we can pass your order.

you are the first card fraus ask this question :)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was surprised and upset at the email for several reasons.

1) This individual obviously assumed that I was making a fraudulent request based purely on my IP Address being in Thailand. Oh, that's right, no one from the USA has ever made a purchase on the internet while overseas.

2) Instead of notifying me of a possible concern, this individual preferred sending a smart-ass comment.

3) I was not notified of a problem until I made an inquiry.

4) They still refused to process my request, even though all the information I provided was valid and legitimate.

5) I must now find another web-hosting company and repeat the process.

My biggest complaint is that I deserved an explanation, not a short, snide remark by someone who obviously does not have a firm grasp of the English language.

I expect a web hosting company and it's employees to be professional. They should have processes in place to ensure that "questionable" account requests get investigated to ensure that an error hasn't occured on either side.

I informed them that they had only one opportunity to correct the problem. Unfortunately, 2mhost.com refused to accept that they made an error, and I'm sure that an apology is not forthcoming.

My only recourse is ensuring that other would-be clients are made aware of the possible problems with 2mhost.com. If the ignorance of one employee is this great, then I would be concerned about how this company would respond if my website crashed or if I needed technical assistance.

I'm sure that many people who read this may have had positive experiences with 2mhost.com. They are the lucky ones.

And if someone who works for 2mhost.com reads this, my only suggestion to you is to keep up the crappy work. That will ensure your failure and allow other more customer-oriented web-hosting companies to flourish.

Finally, My advice: Go somewhere else for your web-hosting. Don't fall for the $1.50 - $2.50 a month /Unlimited Bandwidth crap. Read the fine print. If someone even downloads a document from your site, FREE/unlimited no longer applies to you.
      1 Not allowed!

Good luck in your search, common sense should prevail in any decision, and it looks as though your common sense is sharp.

Sorry you ran into trouble with them.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]
      0 Not allowed!

http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread...ghlight=2mhost

That should be enough to get you started.
    http://webhostingtalk.com/search.php...der=descending

Will give you a lot on 2mhost.com

I see you're new. Please spend a while at WHT and look for someone respectable. There are quite a few. You will find them if you search. There is a lot of information here on hundreds of hosting companies - good and bad.

You can go to 'web hosting requests' and post your requirements. You will get several responses, I'm sure. That will give you an idea of some people to start. Just remember that the cheap guys are cheap for a reason, and usually it is because they have less support or too many people per server, but not always.
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival
      0 Not allowed!

Lightbulb What a reputation!

I've spent the last hour reading through what seems like hundreds of negative posts about this company. I realize now that my mistake was not making myself aware of their poor reputation by visiting this forum earlier. I believe the owner's incompetance saved me many hours of unnecessary frustration. At least I have that to be thankful for. I was naive to think that this person might actually be concerned by threats of spreading negative publicity about his company. It's obvious he doesn't care.

Oh well...guess it's time to find a REAL web-hosting company.

Any suggestions?
      0 Not allowed!

http://splashhost.com

Alan will take care of anything you need, and he is quite reasonable.
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival
      0 Not allowed!

Re: What a reputation!

Originally posted by tmart100
    Any suggestions?
    The hosts that I could personally recommend would be.

www.method5.com
    www.definitivehosting.com
    www.httpme.com
    www.edchosting.com

I've personally worked for them over the last year (All of them), and would trust them to take care of you.

Obviously it wouldn't be right to recommend ourselves in this forum.
    dotGig
      0 Not allowed!

[edit]

just want to mention in clear area

user submit a US credit card info (address, city, .. from USA ) his IP from Thailand.

[/edit]

ahaaaaaaa ..... sorry i have no time to read it all .. but

i got BIG order ( $70+ ) for new domain 2cute2u.com or something by IP from Thailand 203.144.144.186 using USA Credit card

if you submited here 1000000s thread i'll consider you card fraud and will not pass your order

p.s. i do not think "Thailand as a Consultant for a large telecom" will even interst in 2cute2u

FRAUD
    Last edited by 2Mhost; 10-31-2002 at 12:01 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

skelley1, Samuel

do you will registr 2cute2u with some big order to Thailand IP using US credit card Holder .. good luck then ...i have a lot like that will forward them to you all

i have one from Indonisia also want a reseller account .. he aslo a head-surfer of BIG communication company work in Indonesia .. but he is American have card by name Leslie

Last edited by 2Mhost; 10-31-2002 at 12:03 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks Again!

Dear 2mhost,

We knew it was only a matter of time before you showed up with your excuses. Your reputation definitely precedes you. It's safe to say that everyone who visits this site is wholly familiar with the poor quality of service and lack of customer support at 2mhost.

Uh, Thailand Credit Card? Exactly, what does that mean? Visa is world-wide company. They probably even have Visa in the country where you come from.

This is my personal thank you for not completing my request for a web hosting account. As I mentioned earlier, I prefer not doing business with you.

Your ignorance/incompetence is staggering. I am amazed that you had the intellectual fortitude to start a web hosting "company" (term used VERY loosely).

I am amazed at your lack of professionalism. Do you realize that with every post you submit on this web site, you are losing potential customers?

It would have been very easy for you to validate my billing information. All you had to do was send me a request for a copy of my passport and/or driver's license. I would have been happy to provide any information to you. But obviously your mind does not function in a logical way.

It also seems interesting that I've been able to purchase flowers, electronic equipment, clothes, on-line services with my credit card while I've lived in Thailand and never experienced any problems or ever heard any accusations of Fraud. Oh wait, that's right. The brilliant minds behind 2mhost.com have built a "Special" Computer that determines the legitimacy of an order based on the origin of an IP Address. You should hurry up and patent that idea.

As far as my personal interest in a website called 2cute4u.com, what does it have to do with my profession?

In any case, I am glad that I didn't get stuck with your hosting company.

Keep up the crappy work and post more comments here often. Looking forward to a 404 next time I visit your website.

Sincerely,
    "FRAUD"

P.S. If you consider a $70 order for annual service a "BIG" order, then I guess business must not be going so well
    Last edited by tmart100; 10-31-2002 at 07:15 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

That's interesting. A person can't be a recident in the US and work overseas. Are all people from Thailand and Indonesia frauds? I don't think so! That would be terrible, and I'm sure the people there will agree. 2mhost, NEVER acuse an entire country for being fraudulent.
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by 2Mhost
    Samuel

do you will registr 2cute2u with some big order to Thailand IP .. good luck then ...i have a lot like that will forward them to you all
    Is that a threat?

Are you really that freaking dense?

BTW, you just posted what looks to be your customer information right here on the board.

I'm going to recommend the moderators of this forum take issue with your comments here and consider a temporary ban for attacking not only myself, but skelley1.

Why? Because I haven't talked to a more beligerant fool as yourself in a very long time.

I've taken your threat seriously and am considering my legal options.
    dotGig
      0 Not allowed!

ahaaaaaaa ..... sorry i have no time to read it all .. but
    You didnt have time to read 7 posts!! Thats just lame.

If you thought it was a fraudulent order then you can let the person know in a decent manner, there is no need for smart arse comments.
      0 Not allowed!

I really want to make some comment about this guy's (2Mhosts) contribution to WHT but I won't because I know I am going to get angry.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.
      0 Not allowed!

My god..

Someone remind the 6 year-olds mother that it is past his bed time
      0 Not allowed!

You mean, you deciphered what he said?
    Lead Designer @ SingleHop
      0 Not allowed!

They actually did the right thing by knocking back the order. We would have knocked it back too. Maybe they could have been more polite in the email back etc. More diplomatic etc.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

Why is that the right thing to do?
    Have you Floble'd today?
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by sanjiv
    Why is that the right thing to do?
    IP from Thialand and credit card from USA. That's not a good mix.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    IP from Thialand and credit card from USA. That's not a good mix.
    Credit card from the USA? I didn't read that. I did read it was a VISA card though. From the customer's comment I'm presuming the card had a Thai address.

Seems like a perfectly good customer as far as I can see. I personally may have kept an eye on the order, but if everything checked out there doesn't seem to be any reason not to set up the account.

Greg More
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by akashik
    Credit card from the USA? I didn't read that. I did read it was a VISA card though. From the customer's comment I'm presuming the card had a Thai address.
    Nope.
    Oh, that's right, no one from the USA has ever made a purchase on the internet while overseas.
    Address of credit card - USA.

IP of order - Thialand.

99% of times, that would be fraud.
      0 Not allowed!

I have to agree with AussieBob.

Whilst the attitude of 2mhost was clearly wrong, and he should have been polite not rude, his actions in refusing orders of this type are likely to save a whole bunch of decent citizens from having incorrect charges appear on their cards.

We too reject orders like this. Usually we'll ask for a signed fax from the cardholder with proof of identity etc. Sometimes it's very obviously fraudulent and we'd just refuse it.

It's a good reason for processing all card orders manually and applying some common-sense checks!
    Chris at TDMWeb.com
    Windows & Linux hosting and fully managed dedicated servers with great customer service!
    UK-based but serving the world...
      0 Not allowed!

Double check is always good practise, but don't some people from the US work in Thailand or other countries that are "blacklisted"? Do you only accept cards from Thailand at a Thailand IP? If I went to the US and lived there for 6 months, would I be able to sign up for hosting with my Swedish card?

Anyway, always be polite to the costumer, and if in doubt, double check, reply to e-mails, and so on.
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard
      0 Not allowed!

missed that - Greg needs more coffee.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.
      0 Not allowed!

The issue is not that the order was not taken it was the way the customer was informed. There are alot of ways to explain to a customer why the order was rejected.
    WCSWEB.NETWORKS - 24x7 Support We're here to help anytime, day or night!
    WCSHOST.Net <- Call us (800) 590-0017 ->
    Linux based Cpanel Shared and Reseller premium Hosting with Fantastico & rvskin
    Windows based Helm Shared Premium Hosting / Remote Backup solutions
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Aussie Bob

Address of credit card - USA.

IP of order - Thialand.

99% of times, that would be fraud.

Let me get this straight, if an IP Address is located in a country that is different from the country of a credit card's billing address, 99% of the time the on-line transaction is a fraud?

Do you have any idea how many expatriate American Citizens (and Australian Citizens) there are around the world who have to purchase products and services on-line? You are saying that they make up only 1% of attempted overseas transactions?

My billing address is in the USA because my credit card company will not send my bill overseas. I've made hundreds of on-line transactions while living in Thailand and that never raised red flags with any merchant that I'vedone business with.

Granted, it's in 2mhost's best interest to investigate the order further. But to completely discount it as fraud and to send such an arrogant email is totally unacceptable.

There are many ways for an on-line merchant to verify the authenticity of a credit card transaction. I was perfectly willing to bend over backwards to provide any extra information/documentation.

The point isn't whether or not 2mhost approved my account, it's about how he dealt with me (the prospective customer) after he had some concern with my credit card. Any decent hosting company would have sent something along the lines of:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Prospective Customer,

Unfortunately, we were unable to process your request for a web hosting account because we require our overseas customers to provide additional information for your own security. However, if you would be willing to provide the additional account information, we will be happy to contact your credit card company to resolve this matter.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instead, he sends that ridiculous email and then post additional negative comments. He makes no attempt to resolve this issue.

Am I asking for too much???

P.S. 2mhost, feel free to use the above email template as your own
    Last edited by tmart100; 10-31-2002 at 10:08 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast