Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Posts
    5,962

    $4,800 Cell phone bill for teen texting

    http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tec...text.bill.KUSA

    All I can say is w.o.w..... My son racks up 10,000 messages a month. Glad I have him on an unlimited texting plan..

    While on the subject.... I found out a new way to discipline my kids. I found out from Sprint that they will totally or in part disable/enable my sons phone upon request whenever I need, and for free. It's been done twice now. Generally it for attitude I get from him when he starts in on guitar hero right after dinner instead of cleaning kitchen (his chore) and I turn the xbox off and tell him to get to work.

    But it's funny how attitude changes once his phone is off..lol. All he's interested in is Xbox and phone texting. The other day he came home to find broken dishes, food, and spaghetti sauce all over his living room. That morning I woke up, once again found his chores not done (sink was full, stove was a mess, and clean dishes still in dishwasher). So his living room got trashed with what shouldnt have been in my kitchen anymore.

    He promised he would never leave it again since it was a pain for him to get his living room clean and get the sauce off all his consoles and controllers/guitars. I really shouldnt say HIS. It's my house, and I bought all the stuff. He needs to do his chores if he doesnt want me messing up MY stuff that I let him use

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    288
    u r a pretty strict dad... wonder how my 2 yr old gonna fare when he's at your son's age..and i wonder how i will discipline him..
    █ █ Xyclone Hosting - Hosting Made Simple Tech Support On WHT: xyclonehost | nizyaf
    We Are New, That Is Why We Work Harder To Be Better.. STRICTLY NO OVERSELLING!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You Can Live Chat With Me NOW If I Am Online At WHT - Only IE Compatible

  3. #3
    Kudos to you. Too many parents are far to easy on their children. Glad to know there are still good ones out there that can & will be strict when called for.

    Quote Originally Posted by Webdude View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tec...text.bill.KUSA

    All I can say is w.o.w..... My son racks up 10,000 messages a month. Glad I have him on an unlimited texting plan..

    While on the subject.... I found out a new way to discipline my kids. I found out from Sprint that they will totally or in part disable/enable my sons phone upon request whenever I need, and for free. It's been done twice now. Generally it for attitude I get from him when he starts in on guitar hero right after dinner instead of cleaning kitchen (his chore) and I turn the xbox off and tell him to get to work.

    But it's funny how attitude changes once his phone is off..lol. All he's interested in is Xbox and phone texting. The other day he came home to find broken dishes, food, and spaghetti sauce all over his living room. That morning I woke up, once again found his chores not done (sink was full, stove was a mess, and clean dishes still in dishwasher). So his living room got trashed with what shouldnt have been in my kitchen anymore.

    He promised he would never leave it again since it was a pain for him to get his living room clean and get the sauce off all his consoles and controllers/guitars. I really shouldnt say HIS. It's my house, and I bought all the stuff. He needs to do his chores if he doesnt want me messing up MY stuff that I let him use
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk thru my words
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

  4. #4
    Most providers offer an unlimited texting package. It's the parent's fault for not having one...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    10,574
    Quote Originally Posted by XeSupport View Post
    Most providers offer an unlimited texting package. It's the parent's fault for not having one...
    Wouldn't it be the child's fault for texting without having one?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19
    Wow, that's amazing...I use my BlackBerry every minute but even I don't rack up that kind of bill..

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    8,835
    Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    Wouldn't it be the child's fault for texting without having one?
    But the parent is legally responsible for the service, right?

    -mike
    Mike G. - Limestone Networks - Account Specialist
    Cloud, Dedicated & Enterprise Hosting - Premium Network - Passionate Support
    DDoS Protection Available - Resell Dedicated Servers @LimestoneInc - 877.586.0555

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    LAX, DAL, MIA, ATL
    Posts
    8,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike - Limestone View Post
    But the parent is legally responsible for the service, right?

    -mike
    Yes they legally are. Well who ever signed up with the contract of the phone is responsible for the usage of the phone's.
    Last edited by Dustin Cisneros; 04-08-2009 at 04:20 PM.
    〓〓 QuadraNet ├ CLOUD ├ DEDICATED ├ COLOCATION
    〓〓 Locations: Los Angeles, Dallas, Miami and Atlanta
    〓〓 I make deals!! Dustin@QuadraNet.com
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    LAX, DAL, MIA, ATL
    Posts
    8,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Webdude View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tec...text.bill.KUSA

    All I can say is w.o.w..... My son racks up 10,000 messages a month. Glad I have him on an unlimited texting plan..

    While on the subject.... I found out a new way to discipline my kids. I found out from Sprint that they will totally or in part disable/enable my sons phone upon request whenever I need, and for free. It's been done twice now. Generally it for attitude I get from him when he starts in on guitar hero right after dinner instead of cleaning kitchen (his chore) and I turn the xbox off and tell him to get to work.

    But it's funny how attitude changes once his phone is off..lol. All he's interested in is Xbox and phone texting. The other day he came home to find broken dishes, food, and spaghetti sauce all over his living room. That morning I woke up, once again found his chores not done (sink was full, stove was a mess, and clean dishes still in dishwasher). So his living room got trashed with what shouldnt have been in my kitchen anymore.

    He promised he would never leave it again since it was a pain for him to get his living room clean and get the sauce off all his consoles and controllers/guitars. I really shouldnt say HIS. It's my house, and I bought all the stuff. He needs to do his chores if he doesnt want me messing up MY stuff that I let him use
    Wow interesting on how much the one kid spending over $4,000 wow.

    P.s about your son, it is good to teach your son some discipline
    and im sure he never lets the dishes build up after that. But i dont think i would of thrown dishes with any type of sauce over my house or son's controllers because its bound to get on something else lol. May i ask how old is your son?
    〓〓 QuadraNet ├ CLOUD ├ DEDICATED ├ COLOCATION
    〓〓 Locations: Los Angeles, Dallas, Miami and Atlanta
    〓〓 I make deals!! Dustin@QuadraNet.com
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Posts
    5,962
    Quote Originally Posted by semoweb View Post
    P.s about your son, it is good to teach your son some discipline
    and im sure he never lets the dishes build up after that. But i dont think i would of thrown dishes with any type of sauce over my house or son's controllers because its bound to get on something else lol. May i ask how old is your son?
    He's 14, stocky, and 6'2.
    I'm 38, stocky, and 5'8.

    On the otherhand, when rough housing he can never take me down or even hurt me. So he's resigned to accepting discipline without arguement. He's a teen, and a lot better behaved and more respectable teen than I ever was. I get a lot of compliments from other parents who he spends nights with their kids. Some parents dont give their kids a lot of toys (Xbox, big screen tv, etc). By default I give everything, as I know it's more to take away

    I used to spank them with a paddle, but in the teen years they are a little old for that. About 4 months ago I threatened to pull out the paddle again, he said he's too big.... I said "you wanna take bets on it?" He was like "ummmm.... no". Anyway, he generally does chores as soon as he's told, but thats the problem, I have to tell him. Typical teenage boy. My job is to mold him into someone that will make a good man in any situation once out on his own. Being a slob and not cleaning up after himself can likely result in him having a very unhappy wife because he doesnt clean up after himself..lol

    Its funny... he asked me a while back "So who's going to clean up once I am on out my own?" to which I replied "Who's going to be making messes once you are out on your own?"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,192
    Verizon and I currently have a difference of opinion on a similar issue.

    They believe I owe them about $500

    I believe they can go ahead and try to take away my birthday, because I am not paying them.

    I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.


    ~Ryan
    Ryan - Limestone Networks - Client Relations Manager
    Cloud, Dedicated & Enterprise Hosting - Premium Network - DDoS Protection Available
    Resell Dedicated Servers @LimestoneInc - limestonenetworks.com - 877.586.0555

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,052
    I'm a teenager, and I am happy to see that some parents are still like mine and discipline their kids. Luckily I don't ever get anything "taken away" since I pay my own phone bills and internet bills blah blah, and keep good grades.

    Oh what I love dishwashers for
    Not sure what to put here :-P

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    California USA
    Posts
    13,262
    dudes... 4800 is nothing, a customer of mine racked up 15k.... YES 15k on an unlimited plan because tmobile stops counting after 99,999.. Granted its an unlimited plan they credited 14000
    Steven Ciaburri | Proactive Linux Server Management - Rack911.com
    System Administration Extraordinaire | Follow us on twitter:@Rack911Labs
    Managed Servers (AS62710), Server Management, and Security Auditing.
    www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Posts
    5,962
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseweb View Post
    I'm a teenager, and I am happy to see that some parents are still like mine and discipline their kids.
    You know, it's interesting you say that. My kids say similar. I never did. I was rotten, but not spoiled, and any kind of discipline toward me made me worse. I attribute this to them being afraid to spank me as a child, and tried to "talk" to me instead. Thank god all those brain drugs didnt exist by then, I'd be a veggie now.

    I attribute my terrible teens days to them not taking the proper actions when I was much younger. Everyone could swear I was headed for prison. I was lucky in that one day, I decided to change. I didnt want what was at the end of the road I was on. At that point, I looked back and started learning. I figured out what my parents and others right/wrong, what worked and what didnt. So far as a parent, with fingers crossed, it has resulted in some great kids for the most part.

    But you know, I realize some things are inherited. These arent my kids by blood. When I came into their lives, the youngest was 3 weeks old and the older on was 3 years old. Thier real father was a mjor slob. No matter how much I try and drill it into them to be clean, they are always slobs. The oldest, until he finally got a girlfriend, couldnt get it thru his head that people could smell his BO a mile away. Finally we are passed that, and has a lot better hygiene now.... but his living room and bedroom remain messy. Oh well, if thats all I have to complain about, I'm pretty lucky.

    It's also really nice when teens understand that discipline (not punishment or abuse) is only for their own betterment. To be clear, I have always had an "easy" way out.... their grandmother (mother in law) has always wanted them to come live with her.... and they do for about a month every summer, and they get away with anything they want. But I set my goal that I would do a better job than my parents did, and they readily admit that I have succeeded in doing so.

    I'm strict, but also very giving. Now I am at the point of understanding how other parents worry about their kids going out on their own. You spent a huge amount of time and effort raising kids the best you can and they turn out good, then it all goes to waste if they get killed by a drunk driver, while kids that grow up to be criminals/losers live on. Funny how all their lives I have told them I cant wait till their 18 so they get out of my house, but as that date comes nearer, you become less sure of your willingness for that to actually happen.

    Oh hell, I'm getting soft I think...lol

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    dudes... 4800 is nothing, a customer of mine racked up 15k.... YES 15k on an unlimited plan because tmobile stops counting after 99,999.. Granted its an unlimited plan they credited 14000
    Was it a teen where the "parents" had to pay the bill because it was in their name?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    LAX, DAL, MIA, ATL
    Posts
    8,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Webdude View Post
    He's 14, stocky, and 6'2.
    I'm 38, stocky, and 5'8.

    On the otherhand, when rough housing he can never take me down or even hurt me. So he's resigned to accepting discipline without arguement. He's a teen, and a lot better behaved and more respectable teen than I ever was. I get a lot of compliments from other parents who he spends nights with their kids. Some parents dont give their kids a lot of toys (Xbox, big screen tv, etc). By default I give everything, as I know it's more to take away

    I used to spank them with a paddle, but in the teen years they are a little old for that. About 4 months ago I threatened to pull out the paddle again, he said he's too big.... I said "you wanna take bets on it?" He was like "ummmm.... no". Anyway, he generally does chores as soon as he's told, but thats the problem, I have to tell him. Typical teenage boy. My job is to mold him into someone that will make a good man in any situation once out on his own. Being a slob and not cleaning up after himself can likely result in him having a very unhappy wife because he doesnt clean up after himself..lol

    Its funny... he asked me a while back "So who's going to clean up once I am on out my own?" to which I replied "Who's going to be making messes once you are out on your own?"
    Oh interesting good age to teach them and i really didnt want that much info sorry if you thought i ment it like that. Just basically wanted his age as you mentioned the amount of text messages hes sending so i can get ready to expect the same hahaha. Anyhow im a firm believer just like you.


    P.s Its funny... he asked me a while back "So who's going to clean up once I am on out my own?" to which I replied "Who's going to be making messes once you are out on your own?
    Very Very true brought a smile to my face.
    〓〓 QuadraNet ├ CLOUD ├ DEDICATED ├ COLOCATION
    〓〓 Locations: Los Angeles, Dallas, Miami and Atlanta
    〓〓 I make deals!! Dustin@QuadraNet.com
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    LAX, DAL, MIA, ATL
    Posts
    8,714
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseweb View Post
    I'm a teenager, and I am happy to see that some parents are still like mine and discipline their kids. Luckily I don't ever get anything "taken away" since I pay my own phone bills and internet bills blah blah, and keep good grades.

    Oh what I love dishwashers for
    Awesome keep up the good work.
    〓〓 QuadraNet ├ CLOUD ├ DEDICATED ├ COLOCATION
    〓〓 Locations: Los Angeles, Dallas, Miami and Atlanta
    〓〓 I make deals!! Dustin@QuadraNet.com
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    36

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Webdude View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tec...text.bill.KUSA

    All I can say is w.o.w..... My son racks up 10,000 messages a month. Glad I have him on an unlimited texting plan..

    While on the subject.... I found out a new way to discipline my kids. I found out from Sprint that they will totally or in part disable/enable my sons phone upon request whenever I need, and for free. It's been done twice now. Generally it for attitude I get from him when he starts in on guitar hero right after dinner instead of cleaning kitchen (his chore) and I turn the xbox off and tell him to get to work.
    I think we have a Junior Paris Hilton on our hands here. Are there mental health psychologists that can intervene in situations like these, I know of some hotels that will lock up your blackberry for you over the weekend. Perhaps I'll have to twitter David Drew Pinsky or "Dr. Drew" as some people know him http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Pinsky, to see if he knows of any TM (Text Messaging Anonymous groups)

    Seriously though, how does any child rack up 10,000+ text messages a day?

    I had a similar instance approximately four years ago, in which Verizon also claimed I sent some astronomical amount of text messages in the 10,000+ range. Since I rarely used text messaging, and only used it for server monitoring and light texting I was somewhat alarmed. Both their billing department and Senior Executives were not able to substantiate the text messages, after I requested a printed copy of each message and its contents. As the Telco providers keep logs of all incoming and outgoing messages flowing through their systems for a brief period of time, in the case they need to be used by law enforcement or the courts.

    On a side note, I am checking with my Identity Theft insurance provider and attorneys to look into this complaint, as Verizon may have been defrauded. Since, it was around the time when we were contacting Paris Hilton about the individuals who were hacking into her voicemail system (links to the audio and wired article are on my blog at http://www.libbs.net ). Also, it was after we were made aware of Matthew Weigman and other individuals calling in false 911 calls. Who said IT was dull

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    242
    Hopefully by the time i have a kid and they are old enough for a cell phone Cingular, Tmobile and others will have unlimited plans as Sprint does or a Service called Metro PCS does here in Dallas, :]

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    97
    "Seriously though, how does any child rack up 10,000+ text messages a day?"

    It was actually 600-700 per day each day, and a teen can do it if he/she has alot of friends and they txt message alot during the active day

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    LAX, DAL, MIA, ATL
    Posts
    8,714

    * SemoWeb

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemon View Post
    "Seriously though, how does any child rack up 10,000+ text messages a day?"

    It was actually 600-700 per day each day, and a teen can do it if he/she has alot of friends and they txt message alot during the active day
    Very interesting huh? Poor kids will have arthritis before there grandma's lol
    〓〓 QuadraNet ├ CLOUD ├ DEDICATED ├ COLOCATION
    〓〓 Locations: Los Angeles, Dallas, Miami and Atlanta
    〓〓 I make deals!! Dustin@QuadraNet.com
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by semoweb View Post
    Very interesting huh? Poor kids will have arthritis before there grandma's lol
    My thoughts exactly. I guess that it's entirely possible, if you have teens that have nothing better to do than send adult images to one another on camera phones, and text during class.

    I wonder what one of these kids would do if you gave them a quarter or numeric pager and said have fun?

    I know that I had quite a back and forth match with Verizon, trying to explain how it would be technically impossible for me to send 5,000-10,000 messages a month. Which they claimed were sent to a returned cell phone and the messages kept coming in (apparently after returning back from a U of I football game and returning the $500 cell phone after I had put the old one through the washing machine on accident). This phone was in a Verizon Wireless store and literally ringing off the hook.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    242
    Ah good too see you on the forums semoweb aka dusty :p

  23. #23
    you are joking right?

    To me that is abusive parenting and I would report you if I knew where you lived.

    I hope you are joking because this is sick...

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Posts
    5,962
    Quote Originally Posted by dev_stefan View Post
    you are joking right?
    To me that is abusive parenting and I would report you if I knew where you lived.
    I hope you are joking because this is sick...
    ... and how old are you?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,584
    Nearly all providers have a "Oppps... Policy".

    Forinstance:

    I was in El Paso using my phone for data and regular phone. I have a lot of minutes and unlimited data. I get back to California to a $700(something) phone bill.

    I called AT&T and after a few people, talked to a manager. She was able to have a Customer Service Rep delete the charges, as long as I agreed to disable international minutes/data... which I was very happy to.

    I also have a friend who's kid used about 3,000 minutes on his 500 minute plan with Sprint. He called up explained the situation and they gave him the "Opps... Policy" and deleted the charges, as long as he agreed to up his minutes per month.

    I'm quite sure the family in this story had their charges deleted, and everything is back to normal. Interesting how some people choose to be on the news, while others... would rather not have stupid attention.
    www.JRSEOMarketing.com
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Posts from theWHIR.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •