Looking for solutions for remote workspace to be used as Windows Workstation

I often work at multiple locations and I often have problems with synchronizing. I now use Windows Live Sync for files and Foxmarks for synchronizing bookmarks. I am currently exploring the solutions for remote workspace.

So I can connect everywhere I am using a secure connection and use all applications and files installed on the remote workspace.

best bet is probably to get a VPS running windows. connect to it using RDP, works a treat, I have done this is the past when was getting blocked from certain sites
    If you need help about anything to do with WHT, check out the Helpdesk

You can set your home machine for remote connection as well be it linux, mac or windows.. get a static ip or dyndns account and connect to your machine for free!
    █ Lebnene
    █ Consultant: Colocation, Cloud & Dedicated Servers

I have done so using RealVNC, but it's very slow. The bandwidth used is 400 kilobyte per second (no problem), but it just renders every page in 2-3 seconds, unworkable.
    Citus.nl - Dedicated Servers in The Netherlands
    http://www.citus.nl - info@citus.nl

^ Don't use VNC. RDP has come a very long way in the last few versions of Windows and as long as your running Server 2003/XP Pro or greater you will find that RDP has way better encryption and features (such as bringing audio to your connecting workstation).

Only real advantage these days with VNC is that you can run it as a service interact with the desktop at almost a Layer 1 type of interface...log off the machine and go to the login prompt and log back in/etc.

You may want to try using something like logmein.com to access your computer, I've found that it works very decently even on a relatively slow connection.

Don't miss TeamViewer - best for us so far..penetrating through firewalls and what not

I cannot use TeamViewer, that would require me to have physical access to both computers as it works with authorization codes.

Windows Remote Desktop works based on Windows usernames. I have no password on some of the computers I use and am not logged in using the same username every time. That would mean I can log in from every location without using a password! That's very user friendly, but not very secure.

My main concert is when e.g. somebody steals my laptop or is behind the computer of my family, the can access my files and e-mail. I am considering using a network drive for important files, but I think remote desktop working would be better.

I cannot risk having saved important files on my laptop. I need a push in the right direction.