Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalLinx View Post
    Think iNet should start backingup irreplaceable data take everything offline and start installing fresh OSs on all of their servers and before restoring misson critical data each file should be verified that's not modified.
    Only then can we be sure that the servers are clean and believe that they didn't do the same mistakes as before which got them compromised in the first place.
    You pull every single server offline and rebuild everything from scratch and make sure the job is done right.
    Chris Daley :: Dwebs Ltd :: Company No. 05603664 :: 0330 22 90 666
    https://dhosting.uk - Web Hosting, Manged Servers, Email Hosting
    My views are my own and not those of my company.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue View Post
    Yes.

It wouldn't have been good enough to assume even 1%. We were convinced that this data was not accessed.
    Sorry that does not cut it for me.

You were willingly and illegally storing credit card details and as a result of that I am now bowing out of this thread, and all other threads concerning the breach, until I am advised otherwise by my solicitor.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by calande View Post
    Not really. I suppose, as soon as you see a download file of the CC# on RapidShare or TPB, you need to tell WHT so they can get in touch with the site owner to remove the download file ASAP.
    Right. Please let us know if you see such a link. We've been working overtime on getting these taken down ASAP. Thanks everyone!
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

I agree that everything should be taken offline, put old HD's in a safe and rebuild the infrastructure...
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jcroom View Post
    I agree that everything should be taken offline, put old HD's in a safe and rebuild the infrastructure...
    I don't even have to say agree, thats just common sense. Anytime a hacker gets root, or you think he did, the OS should be reinstalled. If he is smart enough to hack in, he is smart enough to create a backdoor and/or install a rootkit.

Does anyone know if Inet has fired their system/security admin(s)?
      0 Not allowed!

Ya, I talked to Amex, and they said their will be some pretty heft fines for WHT already. I told them, I wanted to make sure iNet was fined out the a$$.

This is ridiculous. I had hundreds of auto bills on our corporate amex, and there it was in plain text.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated | Virtual Premium Servers
    Server Locations in: Dallas | Los Angeles | Singapore | Amsterdam
      0 Not allowed!

Yes.

It wouldn't have been good enough to assume even 1%. We were convinced that this data was not accessed.
    Dennis, the reason for asking such a question is this means your developers clearly are incapable dealing with such an incident to make such a judgment. You cannot be 100% convinced and then be wrong as being 100% convinced would indicate you have evidence to support that conclusion. Instead it leads to you personally being left to post factual inaccuracies.

It is very frustrating to see the way this is being handled, even the manner in which it's being "announced" it's continually played down and as I have said several times, full of inaccuracies that are blatantly wrong - even I as an onlooker can see so why can't you?

A very key part of the problem here is the fact you have "developers" performing the job of "system administrators".
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: sales@admingeekz.com
      0 Not allowed!

The site is hosted by rackspace which I think is managed hosting so is it inet server admins or rackspace server admins
      0 Not allowed!

I serously doubt anyone is getting fired, although I've seen at least one rude poster to this thread get fired so far

Also keep in mind - the 10,000 hack attempts that didn't work out.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney-E2 View Post
    Ya, I talked to Amex, and they said their will be some pretty heft fines for WHT already. I told them, I wanted to make sure iNet was fined out the a$$.

This is ridiculous. I had hundreds of auto bills on our corporate amex, and there it was in plain text.
    ROTFLMAO - they discuss that with you did they? ROTFLMAO again.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Laws View Post
    Also, can we assume that the private message tables have been compromised and are likely the next things to be leaked? ...
    I think we can 'assume' anything is possible. At this point we're working with outside security experts to evaluate and update our infrastructure.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mekhu View Post
    I think you fail to realize what they're implying.

Basically the hacker confirms with his wording that he had access to redownload the user table AFTER the initial hack near the end of March. Which means he had access to WHT even after all the security audits were completed...
    True, PM sent btw.
      0 Not allowed!

I still think this is an april fools joke.
      0 Not allowed!

statements aren't right when they're missing a word. :blush:

Quote Originally Posted by mdrussell View Post
    Dennis, this is not a dig aimed at you. I know you are the public face here and will probably take flak for the whole situation. I am posting to summarize my frustration and frustration from the others that we have talked to.

Who handles security for iNet? I have no doubt that this hacker is good, but unforgiveable mistakes were made.

We now have the difficult decision of things like HostingCon, now run by iNet. Typically we would pay for advance on our credit card to secure the best rates. I am definitely uneasy about doing so but I don't particularly want to be penalised for paying when I arrive with point of sale. Perhaps iNet could address this and allow those who've attended before to reserve a place?

We recently paid for some stickies using Paypal. Obviously we've changed our Paypal password but I am still uneasy knowing this could have also been compromised (your post at 7.14pm EST suggests more data could have been breached)? Can you clarify?
    We are no longer in the habit of storing credit card details. When you make a payment, you will be redirected to a payment processing center. CC info will not be stored on iNET servers.
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 04-08-2009 at 12:38 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dkitchen View Post
    I notice this post has been snipped. I would like to know why you (inet) are trying to hide the fact that you recorded the CV2 numbers of all of the cards concerned? Is that because it's illegal and you think you'll get away with it if you keep it under wraps?

Visa/Mastercard certainly know by now, so why hide it from your user base? It'll only make things worse when they sue you later (withholding information that could potentially have prevented fraud from taking place).

I've seen the data, there are cards (some still valid) belonging to pretty large companies in there. This isn't going to go away, be upfront with your user base and admit you dropped the ball.

You have the potential for a much better outcome that way.
    If you read the entire post content, you'd have read that the snipped bit was a quote of a deleted (yes deleted) post that was made by a troll.

why hide it from your user base?
    What are we hiding? I've told you everything we know.

Did we store CC numbers? Yes. Are you supposed to store CC numbers? No. And this serves as great example why.
      0 Not allowed!

I think we can 'assume' anything is possible. At this point we're working with outside security experts to evaluate and update our infrastructure.
    Curious, who have you contracted?
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jcroom View Post
    Agreed. All payment data should be cleared. All affected systems should be reinstalled with a fresh OS and all code should be rechecked out from the development environment to ensure that any compromised code and/or installed rootkits are removed. Whichever employee(s) developed and managed the affected systems should be replaced if iNet wishes to restore confidence in their community. Additionally I am sure many in the community would like to see a formal plan put forth by iNet's CEO/President detailing how they are going to prevent/respond to this type of incident in the future, including how they plan to secure sensitive data.

On a side note not related to the quoted post. all of these "zomg i'm going to sue you, blah blah i know internet law" posts are getting old. I'm sure iNet knows what they did was fing stupid. I'm sure the community knows what they did was stupid. I'm sure their merchant provider is going to ream them a new one. If you aren't satisfied by the situation, let them know by canceling your advertising and/or premium membership. Let's focus on how we can gain confidence in this community once more and let's hope every single company on this forum learns something from this. (tl;dr drop the drama posts)
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Curious, who have you contracted?
    The Fanatical support team over at rackspace of course. Silly guy... lol
      0 Not allowed!

What are we hiding? I've told you everything we know.

Did we store CC numbers? Yes. Are you supposed to store CC numbers? No. And this serves as great example why.
    You should have the people who are actually feeding you the information reply instead of you. I, along with most people have no problem at all with you Dennis.

To me it seems you are out of your depth answering things you are not qualified to do so - and shouldn't have to.

The part of your post I made bold is wrong. You are permitted to store CC information encrypted, you are not permitted to store sensitive authorization information.
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: sales@admingeekz.com
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mekhu View Post
    The Fanatical support team over at rackspace of course. Silly guy... lol
    Ha Ha, yeah.

In all realness... rackspace has the worst techs, I was on the phone with them for 3 hours the other day while they told me how amazing plesk was and I ruined every one of their dreams. If it doesn't have plesk, its not fully supported.
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Laws View Post
    Uh, why not contact them all anyway? Your research a week ago said that no card details had been stolen, quite clearly your research isn't accurate and therefore you shouldn't be waiting to find out it was compromised, just assume it was.
    We are contacting everyone.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by xmsax View Post
    This is a flagrant PCI DSS (as well as common sense security) violation.

You should have told customers 2 weeks ago to cancel their cards, etc.. Then you would have taken the hit up front and trust would return.

But you have yourselves through your lack of actions broken the back of trust of your paying members.
    This involved a different server, far removed from WHT. We had no evidence and no reason to believe it had been accessed, let alone compromised.
      0 Not allowed!

This involved a different server, far removed from WHT. We had no evidence and no reason to believe it had been accessed, let alone compromised.
    You had perfect reason. When you got compromised, the entire infrastructure should have been investigated.

When a client come's to me with a 'hacked' situation, if they have more then 1 server ALL Servers are fully audited.
    Last edited by Steven; 04-08-2009 at 12:52 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    You had perfect reason. When you got compromised, the entire infrastructure should have been investigated.
    Exactly, every server, workstation, laptop etc at iNet should have been looked at.
    Chris Daley :: Dwebs Ltd :: Company No. 05603664 :: 0330 22 90 666
    https://dhosting.uk - Web Hosting, Manged Servers, Email Hosting
    My views are my own and not those of my company.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott.Mc View Post
    You should have the people who are actually feeding you the information reply instead of you. I, along with most people have no problem at all with you Dennis.

To me it seems you are out of your depth answering things you are not qualified to do so - and shouldn't have to.

The part of your post I made bold is wrong. You are permitted to store CC information encrypted, you are not permitted to store sensitive authorization information.
    I was about to post the same thing, I can't read all these posts and refresh, and read more and keep up lol.

I don't hold any illwill to dennis personally and hope WHT/iNET can get this fixed. I was actually about to grab a few servers from iNET to broaden my base, but, well, the hack happened and I wanted to wait. After seeing the credit card details were stored on teh server I have decided not to do that and will be going elsewhere.

I just think Dennis should get some of the Chief Executives to come in here and give us EVERYTHING they know, suspect, or even have an itch to believe, happened or could happen. They need to come up with a security, explain it in RELATIVE detail (because its stupid to post the specifics on a public forum) and just start working at gaining everyone's trust back.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast