Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 1boss1 View Post
    It's crazy that more info is posted elsewhere instead of here. If you were wondering what type of data may of been compromised with your CC details, the database schema is posted on DP:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...php?p=11106540

No point trying to hide it, the complete DB dumps are being handed around like candy. At least everyone can get an idea what was compromised now.

Also the user table just contained the format:

i have posted the same thread here yesterday morning (before WHT shutdown), but it was erased by WHT Admin.
    • UnderHost.com • Offshore Hosting Solutions and USA/Canadian based servers.
    • 24/7 Rapid Support / 99.9% Uptime Guarantee / Shared / Cloud / VPS / Dedicated Servers
    • Managed OnApp Cloud • USA Cloud Virtual Datacenter - Dedicated and Scalable Resources
    • Hong Kong - Netherlands - Canada - Caribbean - United States - Russia •
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tickedon View Post

If there is *one* good thing, the majority of the cards seem to be expired.
    No thats not good, its possible the cards still exist simply trying a future expiry date will probably make the numbers work.

When a card expires you don't always get a new number, just a new CV2 code on the back and expiry date.

You can put cc transaction through without a CV2 number anyways.
    Chris Daley :: Dwebs Ltd :: Company No. 05603664 :: 0330 22 90 666
    https://dhosting.uk - Web Hosting, Manged Servers, Email Hosting
    My views are my own and not those of my company.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwebs View Post
    No thats not good, its possible the cards still exist simply trying a future expiry date will probably make the numbers work.

When a card expires you don't always get a new number, just a new CV2 code on the back and expiry date.

You can put cc transaction through without a CV2 number anyways.
    Absolutely (but more fool the merchant who accepts a card without the CVV). And at this point, any sort of good news is good news in the grand scheme of things - as with something like this, there is nothing to be happy about.
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.
      0 Not allowed!

Webhosting Talk - Credit Card Dump

I have recently read the articles at WHB and other Forums about the WebhostingTalk Credit Card Dump.

I have cancelled my Credit Card due to this cause I feel that if I was a victim of the attack I would have fraudulent orders on my account. Since I paid for my service thorugh credit card for a premium service over a year ago or close too that anyways, I felt it was necessary to do so.

My Banking Institutions Certificate Team is investigating this, Which is good.

What is going to happen with the Dumped Credit Card Details they are being circulated around the net, I guess I downloaded it off of WHT.. How Sad.

I do not think I will renew my service this year.
    l Dedigeeks • Shared • Wordpress • Dedicated • Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider • Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM • R1Soft Backups • 24/7/365 Support • SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com • Managing Director • Service Superstars
      0 Not allowed!

Btw, why does the hacker continue to reference RACKEDGE when WHT is not hosted by them at all? Do they mean Rackspace or what?
    ManageMyServices was sold by me in September 2009. I no longer have any affiliation with this company.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by xmsax View Post
    i have posted the same thread here yesterday morning (before WHT shutdown), but it was erased by WHT Admin.
    Not sure why they done that, it contains no sensitive info and SoftwareRevenue has posted in that thread on DP.

IMHO it's better people know exactly what type of data is public, hiding the fact won't help anyone.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Laws View Post
    Btw, why does the hacker continue to reference RACKEDGE when WHT is not hosted by them at all? Do they mean Rackspace or what?
    We know that WHT is not. However, that doesn't mean to say there isn't some other infrastructure (e.g. the backup servers no-one was meant to know where they were) hosted there.

Or it could just be a mistake.
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.
      0 Not allowed!

Bad form from the hacker who made communication again. He seems like he wants to be caught, so hopefully Inet planned on this potentially happening (him making contact again) and they have some experts (let's hope?) in the background who can chase him down. I'm sure it's not going to be easy, but when you do catch him.. take him to the cleaners.

I'm sure it's a lesson learnt for Inet Interactive about taking personal data seriously.. I'm sure they will need to build up trust again with alot of people here, but there not going anywhere and I'm sure most of you won't, so ... good luck I say, catching the little bugger.. and hope that you's now employ people to secure your systems better & start to use a bit more common sense, especially when it comes to storing of credit card details and other sensitive personal data.
    Freelance SEO Consultant - Been there, done that. Will do it again!
      0 Not allowed!

Unless I am reading something wrong, it seems that hacker noted how many users changed their passwords since first attack. Does this mean that after first attack hacker had constant access to the server which Inet brought back online ??? Is it at all possible that Inet reused compromised servers without wiping them out?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by sasha View Post
    Unless I am reading something wrong, it seems that hacker noted how many users changed their passwords since first attack. Does this mean that after first attack hacker had constant access to the server which Inet brought back online ??? Is it at all possible that Inet reused compromised servers without wiping them out?
    Only iNet can you give you an answer to that, but I doubt you will get one.
    Chris Daley :: Dwebs Ltd :: Company No. 05603664 :: 0330 22 90 666
    https://dhosting.uk - Web Hosting, Manged Servers, Email Hosting
    My views are my own and not those of my company.
      0 Not allowed!

For me this is clear, YES. maybe he try 200000 users one by one?
    • UnderHost.com • Offshore Hosting Solutions and USA/Canadian based servers.
    • 24/7 Rapid Support / 99.9% Uptime Guarantee / Shared / Cloud / VPS / Dedicated Servers
    • Managed OnApp Cloud • USA Cloud Virtual Datacenter - Dedicated and Scalable Resources
    • Hong Kong - Netherlands - Canada - Caribbean - United States - Russia •
      0 Not allowed!

The honest pillars of this community spent hours in topics posting demanding a scammer be removed from the community 8 months ago. I remember posting my viewpoints along with many others. My post was deleted, luckly partially quoted by someone else before.

"The staff will ban scammers after the fact. They will wait for the problem to be a emergency."
    webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?p=5251145&postcount=46

Once again we have a community up roar. Members are all upset and stunned by staff's decisions up to this point.

I see a direct parallel.

Good leaders are needed that will protect the innocent.

I hope the passionate members here get angry enough to force some real change and don't end up with locked threads.
      0 Not allowed!

You know, it's ****ing hilarious you negros backed up some ** backup and users still got the same passwords.
    Well some did change, to be precise, 1348 users out of 200,000. AWE-**-SOME, no? You ******s couldn't even bother changing your ** HOST.
    That would appear to be what the hackers message posted over at DP ( http://www.webhostingtalk.com/attach...4&d=1239186264) would suggest.
    Alasdair
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tickedon View Post
    That would appear to be what the hackers message posted over at DP ( http://www.webhostingtalk.com/attach...4&d=1239186264) would suggest.
    I would assume this is why I was forced to change my password today when logging into WHT and also why they took everything down yesterday for a security audit. It is very very worrying.

Remember the hacker cannot reverse encrypt these passwords so cannot try simply logging in with them, to know that figure he would need access to the db table to compare.
    ManageMyServices was sold by me in September 2009. I no longer have any affiliation with this company.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Laws View Post
    Remember the hacker cannot reverse encrypt these passwords so cannot try simply logging in with them, to know that figure he would need access to the db table to compare.
    Actually, reversing the password hashes (assuming they aren't of a huge length and don't contain many symbols) is a very trivial problem.
    » Kayako customer service software and live chat software- your customers deserve better than helpdesk
      0 Not allowed!

pci data

Well im happy that most of the forum is restored although im still missing 600 posts XD.

but after looking at this (https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org...ta_storage.pdf) isnt storing the data that contained the credit card info illegal?
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.
      0 Not allowed!

I believe that WHT is PCI compliance or hosting this forum on PCI compliant hosting servers.
      0 Not allowed!

I dont think they will catch the person that did this, if they have not already found the person responsible yet I dont think they will.

Everyone that used a Credit Card dont take a risk, just call your bank and request a credit card number its free.
    Easy cPanel Host Inc
    Affordable Web Hosting Services

Reseller & Web Hosting Online Leader
      0 Not allowed!

The Download that was Posted, Held over 2000 Lines of Credit Card Names and Information, Including CCV. - I do not somehow wish to renew my service with WHT anymore.

Hence I cancelled my Credit Card - To be safe.
    l Dedigeeks • Shared • Wordpress • Dedicated • Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider • Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM • R1Soft Backups • 24/7/365 Support • SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com • Managing Director • Service Superstars
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by hostingcertified View Post
    I believe that WHT is PCI compliance or hosting this forum on PCI compliant hosting servers.
    If credit card numbers were breached at all, then WHT is not PCI compliant, period.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons
      0 Not allowed!

I'd like some reassurances from iNET that they are currently not storing new credit card data.

Not knowing whether or not any of my data was compromised, I've had to cancel several cards as I can't trust iNET to promptly notify me if they were stolen.

Right now, I can't trust a company whose lack of communication is second to none.
    * GeekStorage.com - Offering awesome website hosting for over 13 years!
    * Shared Hosting * Reseller Hosting * Virtual Private Servers * Dedicated Servers
    * Have questions? Send us an e-mail, we'd love to hear from you!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwebs View Post
    Questions you should be thinking about

1. Why were WHT storing CC details in plain text with no hashing / encryption?
    2. Why were WHT storing CC details that had expired?
    3. Why were they storing CV2 codes which are not required and not allowed to be stored?
    4. Why wasn't the CC info stored on a separate none public system?
    5. Why were WHT not PCI Compliant and following the guidelines that exist for securing customers ?CC info?

6. I believe there is a status field for each CC stored some say removed, which brings the question if a user opted for their card details to be removed why were they not totally removed from the db?

Clearly it shows an absolute total lack of concern for user’s security.

I would be surprised if iNet are not fined and taken to court over this.
    Why were credit cards from 2006 and before still stored? Shouldn't those number have been purged? Or at least partially deleted? I know a lot of people get new cards, same number, new expiration date, surely the hacker knows to add a couple years to the expiration date if the card is expired.
      0 Not allowed!

Can someone please PM me (or e-mail to tristan@tristanperry.com) the links to this file? I think I paid for advertising (stickies) via PayPal but am not 100% sure now If someone can send over the links that'd be appreciated, since I just wish to check then delete the file
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by JetWash View Post
    Hence I cancelled my Credit Card - To be safe.
    I cancelled mine too, is there anyway to see the list? (Just the names at least)

I noticed a few fraudulent charges perviously on my card, one was for web hosting, and I own a web hosting company, lol.

I am curious to see if they got my number from here or not.

If they did, I don't care because I already had the charges reversed, but it would be nice to know.
    Last edited by jalapeno55; 04-08-2009 at 08:23 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Just found out that my old debit card details were on that flipping database.

Thankfully the card is automatically expired and the 16 digit number and CCV numbers are completely different, but thanks a lot WHT.

There's very little protection on debit cards either, meaning had this happened 4 months ago (when my old card expired) I'd have been screwed.

Good job.. (still, if someone could send me details of where I could get the list I'd appreciate it; I was e-mailed with the card details letting me know they were comprimsed)

Really glad this card expired months ago now (and the new card's numbers are all different..)
      0 Not allowed!

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast