Decent Colo In San Diego

I'm going to look at a bunch of colocation facilities here in San Diego in the next couple of days. I've already been to SDColo. I thought that their prices were decent; $300/Mbit for multihomed Level3, Verio, Cogent and $350 for a standard sized half rack of space. I wasn't too smitten with their space though. They're building a new datacenter that I've been waiting to get into for a month as their upstairs area is full. Their ping times are great from home though . . . all between 10ms and 30ms.

So while I'm waiting for that I thought I'd go to Inflow and ADN. Inflow has a good rep but they are way more expensive than SDColo at $500/Mbit. The bandwidth there is top shelf though. I don't know anything about ADN and I was hoping somebody here could comment on them. Aplus is out of the question as I've had nothing but trouble with them in the past. I guess there's a Level3 facility out here somewhere too that I may go and take a look at. If anybody has any opinions about datacenters in the San Diego area I'd love to hear 'em.

Hi Ryan-

If you wanted to be in the San Diego Level(3) facility, check with http://www.nextlevelinternet.com/. They have a cage at L3 and were competitively priced when I looked at them back in Aug. '01.

- Mike Griffin

Originally posted by mgriffin
    Hi Ryan-

If you wanted to be in the San Diego Level(3) facility, check with http://www.nextlevelinternet.com/. They have a cage at L3 and were competitively priced when I looked at them back in Aug. '01.

- Mike Griffin
    Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out.

ADN - Longtime colo in SD. They were in financial trouble until CCC bought them out.

Castle Access - Nice facilty, high prices. Just do colo, so they focus on that. Heard a rumor they were going under.

CTS (now Hosting.com , right next to Cari.net/SDColo) - High prices, went heavy on Alligence bw. Not as good network as before. Do not like to negociate on BW.

APlus - Stay away. Service sucks! Great network guys M-F, 8-5 PM, rest of the time you are screwed.

Inflow - Cream of the crop. I am amazed they offered $500/Meg. Last year they were $1500/Meg in SD. The Switch and Data building they are in is the best in SD in my opinion. I think that $500 is 95 percentile billing?

Verio - No 24/7 support. Nice data center.

SDColo/Cari.net - best support. Fast network. Great prices. They nickle and dime on things like extra power. Uptime is great. Except for an outage today. . Low-spec DC. You saw it.

We have used SDColo and APLus. I have been to all others and know people with servers in most. Everyone has an opinion on their favorite. My choice is SDColo simply for price and outstanding 24/7 support.

We were with CTS for a couple years before they were bought out by Allegiance and would have highly recommended them, however their network has been reduced to only the ALGX backbone (old Digex backbone), which has turned me off, along with the departure of at least some of the old CTS management. Previously they had connectivity to Exodus, L3, Verio, cerf.net (AT&T) and we were very happy with them at that time. Their pricing was on the high end, but at the time they justified it, IMHO

I also visited cari and wasn't the least bit impressed with their "facility", so they were never really on my list.

Even though they are exclusively at L3 (redundant (multiple routes in/out of the facility), but not "fully" redundant (exclusively L3 bandwidth)), I was impressed with the staff of NextLevel. I was taken on a tour of the L3 facility on very short notice and they seemed to be very customer service oriented. Had we stayed in San Diego, I probably would have chosen NextLevel or Inflow.

I also toured the Inflow facility and needless to say was impressed. I do not feel they justify the added cost unless you are in a very mission-critical situation. I was actually quoted lower rates in San Diego than I was here in Denver (still more than I felt was justified, however). If you want true end-to-end redundancy, Inflow is one of the best.

I know nothing about them, but there's also Iway http://www.iwaynetworks.com/ who is in San Diego and on PNAP bandwidth.

- Mike

Originally posted by UmBillyCord
    [B]

Inflow - Cream of the crop. I am amazed they offered $500/Meg. Last year they were $1500/Meg in SD. The Switch and Data building they are in is the best in SD in my opinion. I think that $500 is 95 percentile billing?
    Ya it's 95 percentile. The deal they're pushing right now is $995/mo for a full cabnet with 2Mbps with a $1000 set-up fee. This seems pretty reasonable to me considering all the good things I've heard about Inflow. I just hope their prices aren't dipping because of some sort of financial problems. I think I've read a couple of places on this board that they've been having some money problems.

In the next week or two I'm going to go and check out SDColo's new facility. I saw the empty building a month ago. It could be real nice. I'll post a review when I see the finished structure if sombody dosen't beat me to it.

By the way . . . I think they changed the name of their colo biz to Colo$ave. That's what their web site says now. Maybe it's just me but I think ColoSave has a very K-Mart'esq ring to it. I don't think I'd be too stoked telling my clients that their precious data is residing in a DC with the word "Save" in the name!

In the next week or two I'm going to go and check out SDColo's new facility. I saw the empty building a month ago. It could be real nice. I'll post a review when I see the finished structure if sombody dosen't beat me to it.
    Ha Ha. It is still an empty, cement building. They were going to open down stairs in June.

Originally posted by UmBillyCord

Ha Ha. It is still an empty, cement building. They were going to open down stairs in June.
    Hmmm . . . they've pushed the grand opening date back three times for me already. . . They're telling me rack space is going to open up downstairs on the 15th. I guess we'll see.

Originally posted by Ryan F

Hmmm . . . they've pushed the grand opening date back three times for me already. . . They're telling me rack space is going to open up downstairs on the 15th. I guess we'll see.
    LOL i dont think they will ever open that new facility down stairs. And yeah their upstairs one I wouldnt call a facility. As for support, its decent, but if you need something done at the keyboard good luck. Takes some persuasion to get them to do it, even if you offer money they hesitate.

Inflow it is

Hey everyone,

After taking a look at all the data centers mentioned here in this thread I've decided upon Inflow. Thanks a lot for your input!

Ryan