Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

How many sites per server?

How many "typical" sites can you count on per server? Of course I know you have to play it by ear and watch performance, etc. but there has to be a number you can use to estimate.

Hmm?
    Stupid, but trying.

sure.. 2
    That's how many I have on one of my servers. They are fairly large and rely completely on php/mysql

But another server hosts smaller static HTML pages and can host hundreds of sites. It varies grately on your hardware and the type of sites it is hosting.

OK... 2. I guess I need about 150 servers then.

Yeah it all varies but when opening your servers to the world for general hosting there should be some sort of guess.

Is it 200? 400? Surely not 700 like ReadyHosting.
    Stupid, but trying.

you can put 1000 sites on a server if you wanted to (and yes each would still load just fine)...

it all depends on how busy the sites are and what kind of resources they take up...

You should put them into basic plans.

For example you shouldn't put your Mega Super Duper Plans that give 20 MySql Databases on a server with another 100 Mega Super Duper Plans.

You need to basically watch your loads and average your growth by what your getting now. (Always expect the worst)

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Yes that helps. I have one pretty powerful server now and at the right time I will add another server. I will then balance the loads between the boxes as needed, etc.

I already have my server "breaking even" on costs but of course since I am a greedy bastard I want to move into profit-ville.
    Stupid, but trying.

Yeah, you really can't even guestimate a number as you don't know what kind of clients you will be getting. All it takes is one fairly lage site to sign up, and you could find yourself only being able to fit a few more sites on it.

At least look at your stats. How much bandwidth do you get a month? How much useable storage do you have on the drives? Then take your hosting plans, and plan for how many would sign up with your plans and see how many you could fit. If you are offering a lot of high bandwidth/storage plans, you will obviously fit a lot less.

Same problem comes with load issues too. You could be hosting 300 kinda small static HTML sites no problem. Then one person signs up with a very busy message board using many of your system resources.. etc. It can be a juggling act

Yeah it is going to be quite a learning experince for me, that is for sure. Luckily I plan on having a seperate SQL Server machine which will take mucho load off my web server.

I just hope I don't screw it all up while learning.
    Stupid, but trying.

We put 100-150 sites per server.

Thanks HP. I am assuming a normal distribution of clients for your numbers.
    Stupid, but trying.

Re: How many sites per server?

Originally posted by WonderMonkey
    How many "typical" sites can you count on per server? Of course I know you have to play it by ear and watch performance, etc. but there has to be a number you can use to estimate.
    How many people can you fit into a building?

How much water can you fit into a swimming pool?

Answer those 2 questions and you pretty much have your answer.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Originally posted by hostingplex
    You must be busy managing your 40+ servers then.

Server integity there depends on what you promise each of those accounts. If you've setup 150 sites where you promised 10GB disk space and 50 GB data transfer each, get ready for a wild ride.

Originally posted by Aussie Bob

*shakes head*

Still toying with that one aren't you

You kill me.

I don't know what I expected to see first Bob. You explaining that the number of domains on a box is irrelevant, or you jumping on to Hostingplex again. You've got to stop watching Jerry Springer.

Gary

Originally posted by Editor
    I don't know what I expected to see first Bob. You explaining that the number of domains on a box is irrelevant, or you jumping on to Hostingplex again. You've got to stop watching Jerry Springer.
    I did both actually.

Re: Re: How many sites per server?

How many people can you fit into a building?

How much water can you fit into a swimming pool?

Answer those 2 questions and you pretty much have your answer.
    Bob,

I'll stick with your answer: 2

Who needs crowded swimming pools or buildings?

-Matt
    Matt Meier, RackNine Inc.
    email: mmeier@racknine.com
    web: http://www.racknine.com

Acutally, we have a lot of servers. I haven't been in the datacenter for a while, so I couldn't tell you the exact numbers.

I know that we try to keep our servers running at optimal speeds, mix and match clients; both small sites and large. Then again, the servers aren't cheap and are built to handle extreme loads. IBM

Acutally, we have a lot of servers. I haven't been in the datacenter for a while, so I couldn't tell you the exact numbers.

I know that we try to keep our servers running at optimal speeds, mix and match clients; both small sites and large. Then again, the servers aren't cheap and are built to handle extreme loads. IBM
    I aint touching that one. *looks at UmBillyCord* - "you wanna give it a shake"?

Thanks for the comments all. Here are my server stats. Also the sever is on its way and not up and running yet.

I have a Dell Poweredge 2650 with 1gb memory and a Xeon 2.2ghz processor. Three 36gb drives with Raid 5 which equates to 72gb space not counting OS, etc.
    Stupid, but trying.

WonderMonkey --
    That should do you good! 100 to 150 sites should easily be hosted on that server. Just always remember to monitor heavy users, etc.

Try to optimize the server as much as you can. Good luck!

Thanks HP. I am starting slow and only taking in about 10 sites to start out. Once I feel confident I will open it up to the world.
    Stupid, but trying.

WonderMonkey --
    That should do you good! 100 to 150 sites should easily be hosted on that server. Just always remember to monitor heavy users, etc.

Try to optimize the server as much as you can. Good luck!
    Depends on what those 100 to 150 sites are doing. There's no magic number for sites/accounts/server. It depends on how much resources you promise [you make the choice on how you oversell etc] each account that goes onto the server.

Remember, you're like a virtual real estate agent that's subleasing an apartment complex. Each tenant you bring into the building pays you $X amount per month and for that payment, they get allocated a certian size apartment. The more they pay, the bigger their apartment is.

So when someone asks "how many tenants can we get into this building" and then someone replies with "you'll get 100 to 150 tenants" is not right. Depends on each of those tenants requirements.

Following on from my previous post -

Lets say you have your 20 floor apartment complex and you're signing up leases and handing out the keys. Donald Trump pulls up in his Limo and says he wants the top 15 floors. He opens a briefcase and hands over a wad of $$$$$

Now here's the $64.00 question -

"Does this 1 tenant have an impact on how many other tenants you can hold in your building"?

Maybe your servers should be populated by the size of the requirements that your tenants purchased and not by "100 to 150" tenants....??

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast