How many sites per server?

How many "typical" sites can you count on per server? Of course I know you have to play it by ear and watch performance, etc. but there has to be a number you can use to estimate.

Hmm?

I have a Dell Poweredge 2650 with 1gb memory and a Xeon 2.2ghz processor. Three 36gb drives with Raid 5 which equates to 72gb space not counting OS, etc.
    Last edited by WonderMonkey; 11-01-2002 at 10:29 PM.
    Stupid, but trying.

Sorry, wrong forum. I'll repost to the correct one.
    Stupid, but trying.

You may want to state your specs of the server when you repost

Too late! But good advice.
    Stupid, but trying.

You can edit the post. The number of sites you can host is a function of many things. But the power of the CPU for example will help to determine roughly. But generally, it also depends on the kind of clients you have. If you don't keep a hawk eye on cpu utilisation, you may have some bad scripter with a rampant script using up all your cpu.

And of course, your pipe to the box. But generally a box can easily host 400 and above.

How many "typical" sites can you count on per server?
    At least several thousands

Originally posted by Dotcomsnz

At least several thousands

heh ok say a compaq p3 1 gig server 1 gb ram. a general mic of dynamic and static personal sites, on a decent eide drive, i would expect it to be able to host3-400 sites pushing 3-6oo GB of traffic a month. you cant be perfect with your analysis because every set of sites is different.
    --
    Rich

Yeah !

richy is the man

I wold say you can host 0-800 - (400) on each HD's on a 10Mb/s dedicated our 3.000 Gb @ least off trafic.

If you have like a 1Gb ram and P4 1.7 our + something like this.

It depends on the CP and the Add plug-ins.

If you ad Urchin i guess you wold get too much load and hardware usage just it this plug-ins.

LOL.. sorry for the humour Monte.. weird i know

Thanks for the replies and the hint on editing. I did just that.

I have a Dell Poweredge 2650 with 1gb memory and a Xeon 2.2ghz processor. Three 36gb drives with Raid 5 which equates to 72gb space not counting OS, etc.
    Stupid, but trying.

I am hosting 1971 sites on my 350MHZ Celron w/ a turbo NR2 insert, 128 MB RAM w/ overboost O8's and a 10 GB hard drive (we are upgrading to 12GB this month)!

ok that counts as a damn fast server lol, what os is it getting and what type of sites?
    --
    Rich

I am hosting 1971 sites on my 350MHZ celeron

Are you kind'a ?

It is going to have Win2k Server. As of now the only sites I have are 10 that are either my own or some personal clients. I am right at "break-even" on it at the moment.

SQL Server will run on it as well for a time until Profits afford me a seperate box to place it on.
    Stupid, but trying.

Originally posted by hostingsp
    Yeah !

richy is the man

I wold say you can host 0-800 - (400) on each HD's on a 10Mb/s dedicated our 3.000 Gb @ least off trafic.

If you have like a 1Gb ram and P4 1.7 our + something like this.

It depends on the CP and the Add plug-ins.

If you ad Urchin i guess you wold get too much load and hardware usage just it this plug-ins.
    that wuld be called over selling (By alot) very bad business tactic...stay away from any business that does it..
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

On win2k you are allowed to set the bandwidth and processor throttles to reasonable levels. So you can say no single site can take over 20% processor resources and > 64kBps; then you could run bunches of sites not worrying about bogus loops in scripts, and give favor to some larger higher $$$ sites. This is of course until you get enough to afford more servers, but would at least cover you until that time and still not be considered "overselling". More like "protecting shared resources".
    Nik Martin
    nfina Technologies, Inc.
    +1.251.243.0043 x1003
    Server Hardware, Storage, and Turnkey systems for Service Providers

nikko could you point me a direction to learn more about that feature?
    Stupid, but trying.

Originally posted by WonderMonkey
    nikko could you point me a direction to learn more about that feature?
    Sure.

In Internet Information Services Manager, right click on a site, and click properties. Then select the performance tab.

You should see the settings in question. You can click the ? in the top right of this dialog and then click each setting to get a brief description of what each means.

http://www.hotpile.com/images/throttle.jpg

Is a screen shot of a sample of this.

Hope this helps.
    Nik Martin
    nfina Technologies, Inc.
    +1.251.243.0043 x1003

Thanks. My server is loading something right now but I will check that out in a few.

To test my server I may make my personal site 5% or something and see how it performs.
    Stupid, but trying.

Originally posted by WonderMonkey
    To test my server I may make my personal site 5% or something and see how it performs.
    Just make sure to check the enforce limits check box, or it will just put a message in the event log when you exceed this. This is pretty cool to, as you can get apps that will look for messages in the event logs and email you when stuff happens, like sites pegging the processor, etc.

To test it, put something like this in an asp page:
    >>>EDIT<<<
    As RackMy pointed out, this script wont test the bandwidth throttle, but will test CPU Throttle
    >>>/Edit<<<

<%
    dim a
    a=0
    do while a < 1
    response.write now() & vbcrlf
    loop
    %>
    Last edited by nik martin; 11-05-2002 at 01:26 AM.
    Nik Martin
    nfina Technologies, Inc.
    +1.251.243.0043 x1003

I think the BW throttle only works with static HTML pages and not ASP or others. Can't remember where I read that.
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

True, the bandwidth throttle won't throttle ASP pages, but it does throttle images, which very possibly is the majority of bandwidth bursts. You might try enabling chunked encoding in IIS as well.

Also, a MUST READ for IIS tweakers:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,57152,00.asp
    Nik Martin
    nfina Technologies, Inc.
    +1.251.243.0043 x1003

http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;Q235437&

Shows what CPU Throttling actually is. The default, 10% may seem low, but it's actually the CPU time spent servicing the application, not CPU usage.

Also, bandwidth throttling anly affects sites running out of process, which I would recommend for all premium hosting clients. You might not enable this on cheapie $4.95/month client machines, as it does take some machine resources to give each site its' own Application Space.

whew...
    Nik Martin
    nfina Technologies, Inc.
    +1.251.243.0043 x1003