Multiple domain names to same hosting account

Hello,

Have a question regarding the following:

1) If I have multiple domain names (i.e. a.com, b.com, c.com, d.com), could I have all those go to a single hosting plan?

2) Assuming I can, is there an easy way to configure it so that I display a different page depending on whether a user entered a.com, b.com, c.com, or d.com in their browser?

3) Any of you doing this already, and what webhosting company are you using to do this?

I asked ICDSOFT this question and they answered my question in like 2 minutes, very impressive. In any case, icdsoft said that I could do #1, but that I could not do #2 with their service. That is, I could have a.com, b.com, c.com, d.com all point to the exact same web page only.

I've read something about "cpanel" being able to do this, but not sure what are some good reliable hosting companies that have cpanel controls (if cpanel is indeed what I need).

Gracias,
    gaz

Yes, you can with www.gearhost.com . Easy as pie. I paid 255.00 for 15 domains, 500 mg hd space and 30 gig trans... and a bunch of other stuff... The support is okay as well....

You might want to check out www.site5.com as well... I did this on a plan but had the same content going to one site.

I was researching www.prohosters.com a couple of days ago... you can get a plan for as low as $15 mth (but 19 setup, and only 5 gig transfer). I did not like the customer support. I called to talk about plans and it was very unprofessional conversation... talk like kids. Maybe I called the wrong person... check them out for yourself. Plus, if you sit in the chat, where they have "customer support" the person cannot answer hard questions and cannot fix your problem on the spot. I sat there for about 2 hours the other night while I worked... was not impressed at all with the customer support responses.... But they have good plans.

Yes the answer is you need an account that allows virtual hosting. Spry.com has those type of accounts as well as other companies. They are similar to VServers was. More specifically
    1. Yes you can.
    2. Each domain would have a different DocumentRoot so it's not that hard. You can even have different users per domain.
    3. Spry.com is who I use.
    If you need other help let me know
    Gary H
    www.Spry.com
    Home of the Root Server

The easiest way, if not the only way to do this, is to purchase a reseller account. A reseller account will allow you to setup multiple domains under one account. Each account will have its own ftp account (and control panel if offered).

cPanel itself (without the use of WHM) offers an option for cPanel users to park multiple domains under one account. However, domains other than the one used to create the account will have to be forwarded to some page on your original domain.

If you wanted to do this with ICDSoft, you would need to purchase multiple accounts. However, you might be able to save some money by purchasing a reseller account rather than multiple single-domain accounts.
    Matt De Leon
    GreekComm - http://www.greekcomm.com/
    Online Community for Greek Fraternities and Sororities.

Re: Multiple domain names to same hosting account

Originally posted by gazibidian
    1) If I have multiple domain names (i.e. a.com, b.com, c.com, d.com), could I have all those go to a single hosting plan?
    Yes
    2) Assuming I can, is there an easy way to configure it so that I display a different page depending on whether a user entered a.com, b.com, c.com, or d.com in their browser?
    Yes
    3) Any of you doing this already, and what webhosting company are you using to do this?
    Any company that provide HSphere as a control panel should be able to do this easily. It's called multi-domains support. With HSphere you can setup up to unlimited number of different domains under the same account, each domain having its own email account ([email protected], [email protected], etc) and its own SMTP servers (mail.a.com, mail.b.com, etc)

In any case, icdsoft said that I could do #1, but that I could not do #2 with their service. That is, I could have a.com, b.com, c.com, d.com all point to the exact same web page only.
    It's not a multi domains solution then. It's just domain pointers.

I've read something about "cpanel" being able to do this, but not sure what are some good reliable hosting companies that have cpanel controls (if cpanel is indeed what I need).
    I don't think Cpanel can do this. Well, one may try to do trciks with CPanel to provide multi domain support, but I don't think the many domains setup with such trick will have their own pop3 mail accounts, their own smtp servers, their own "root" directories, etc. CMIIW.

Good luck.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Originally posted by smidwap
    The easiest way, if not the only way to do this, is to purchase a reseller account.
    I tried this and failed... only do this if you have time for initial setup... which you may find easy... I did not... It might have been the company I tried it with, not mentioned above... and I won't spam the name here since they are respected on this board... but it does take a lot of work to set up a reseller account.

Depending on how many Vhosts you want and if you want root access or just need it for virtual hosting...
    Without Root = 20 Vhosts/3gb/20gb transfer
    With Root access to customize to your hearts delight = 40vhosts (this can be increased)/3gb/35gb transfer. With unlimited pointers.

fast response to tickets and knowledgable support. No tier I customer service reps that are only good for answering the basic of all questions. Real technicians that help you when you have issues.
    Gary H
    www.Spry.com
    Home of the Root Server

I do this and here is how:

1) I register all my domains with DirectNic.com. With them you have the option to leave a domain inactive or have it redirect. I redirect a.com, b.com to c.com

2) I host c.com somewhere. Now all traffic from a, b, c goes to c.com.

3) Since I was redirected by a or b.com I know who the referredby domain is. On your entry page check that value and there you have it.

The above is a simplistic version but it works.
    Stupid, but trying.

Thanks for the very informative reply.

Was looking at fluidhosting and gearhost and spry and they all seem to offer what I was thinking.

Wondermonkey, I'm think I'm following what you are saying and it may offer a very low cost solution to something I might want to do. My only question is how do you know where the "referredby" domain is (or where it was redirected from?). Is this an html command or something else?

Thanks!
    gaz

My only question is how do you know where the "referredby" domain is (or where it was redirected from?). Is this an html command or something else?

Thanks!
    gaz
    I use directnic.com to purchase my domains as well... the thing he is talking about did not work for me. They either only directed you to the page or site or kept the url stuck in the address bar (ie www.yourhost.com would be in ALL the pages... no matter where you went). If this is a business site then this will not work... if just for fun, then yes, you could get away with it...

You know where the "referredby" is in directnic. It is set up to keep track of these things.

You can have multiple domains pointing to various sub domains of a plan, although only the main account will have email. Email for the other domains that are pointed will gather in the catch-all account. It's cost effective if you don't mind giving up the email. This is with cPanel. Hope this helps

Okay I think I understand (doi doi).

Thanks for the help everyone. fantastic forum!

I think I got my options straight now. I'll summarize them and hopefully they're all correct.

1) Having multiple domains going to one hosting plan is a piece of cake as long as I intend to show the same page to all.

2) Having multiple domains going to one hosting plan with a different page shown for each domain can be done in a few ways.
    - forwarding domains to different subdomains of the primary domain hosting plan (ugly, but works and is cheap)
    - finding a hosting plan that includes more than 1 domain allowed
    - finding a reseller plan

I was really surprised that the reseller plans are not that pricey at all. I believe with a reseller plan I could have basically have as many virtual hosts as I wanted as long as I did not exceed the limits of that plan. So if I wanted to host a bunch of my sites with low bandwidth/space usage, I could do it all under one reseller plan right?

Anyways, thanks again!

gaz

So if I wanted to host a bunch of my sites with low bandwidth/space usage, I could do it all under one reseller plan right?
    Right.
    Matt De Leon
    GreekComm - http://www.greekcomm.com/
    Online Community for Greek Fraternities and Sororities.