View Poll Results: What would you rather pay for dedicated servers?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • High upfront, small monthly

7 43.75%
  • Medium upfront, medium monthly

6 37.50%
  • Low/No upfront, high monthly

3 18.75%

Payment Preferences

Curious, with dedicated servers, would you rather pay a high up front fee, with small payments. Or would you rather pay a medium up front fee, with a medium payment. Or what about no setup, and a higher monthly.

Here are some examples:

$350 setup $175/mo
    $200 setup $200/mo
    $0 setup $225/mo

No setup 150 under or i will not buy

I prefer no setup at all.

i prefer no setup so i wouldnt lose out if i chose not to stay. if you have good service, charging no/low/reasonable setup fee should work well for you. high setup fees are usually an indication of the fact that you think the customer might not stay long and wish to protect yourself.
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

There shouldn't be a setup fee in the first place, most hosting companies have "Automatic Setup". What justifies a "setup" fee. It's weird if you ask me.

Dedicated servers I can understand, because you have to really set them up by human. Usually anyway.
    Kaumil P.

Judging only from the prices you list, and based on a cost savings "per year" I would opt for the high setup/low monthly... it only saves you $225.00 but hey... spend that on advertising or some other company expense.

I prefer no setup.. anything up to around $100 is fine, but when a company is charging $399 for a setup fee, then that kinda kills the idea of me going with them, heh.

Originally posted by hostingplex
    There shouldn't be a setup fee in the first place, most hosting companies have "Automatic Setup". What justifies a "setup" fee. It's weird if you ask me.

Dedicated servers I can understand, because you have to really set them up by human. Usually anyway.
    We ARE talking about dedicated servers.

Anyway, I would in theory prefer high setup and low monthly, as I would plan for the "long haul."

However, I have personally discovered that you can't trust anybody, and you'll never get your setup fee back, no matter HOW bad the company is.