I got my first dedicated server, So I'm not sure if this is what typically happens to everyone on every dedicated server setup, or if it's just my bad luck, or if it's a reflection of the guys at FDC.
At this point, I'm not sure if I should stick with them or not, it's been slightly weird, to somewhat humorous to just down right frustrating.
Only good thing is, it's not an actual production server, I was just seeing how FDC was as a company before I comitted. So other than the upfront cost and time spent dealing with this, we haven't thankfully impacted our customers in anyway.
(1) Contact sales, no response for two days.
(*) contacted them on friday, so I figure that was probably the delay in the response, quite understandable.
(2) They said they'll have to contact me by phone
(*) Sure not a problem, please contact me within these hours...
(3) They contacted me out of the hours specified
(*) ugh...maybe I didn't make myself clear in the email, oh well whatever, atleast they did contact me.
(4) Was promised server will be up by tomorrow
(*) Oh okay, he sounded nice on the phone
(5) Servers were not up by tomorrow had to email to find out what's going on
(*) They just got their shipment in and everything will be setup by the end of the day.
(6) It wasn't set up by the end of the day. Contacted them again.
(7) They got it up the next day, Server finally up, but I can't even ping it.
(*) Took them a day but they got that resolved
(8) I can finally ping it but I can't remote into it.
(*) I'm guessing someone forgot to enable RDP?
(9) Get another bill, Server 2008 Standard $20 more dollars
(*) I've never requested a update from web edition to standard. Maybe with all that reinstalling of the server, someone felt like upgrading me without seeing If I wanted the upgrade or not? Or maybe Remote desktop isn't possible in Web Edition and they upgraded me, if that's the case cool, if not I'm not sure why the upgraded me from Web to Standard.
(10) RDP finally works. Finally log into server...
(*) Hooray, it's finally over?
You figure it's clear sailing from here on out. Grab all my windows updates.
Right click on my computer, left click on properties...Windows not activated, automatic update will be done in 2 days.
(11) Contacted support, can I validate now, or just let it validate in 2 days.
(*) Support says it's not a problem and just to validate it now
(12) Validation failed.
(*) OMG this can't be happening...opened up a ticket.
(13) It looks like it was the wrong key, and we're waiting for msoft to get us a valid one it'll only take an hour.
3 hours later it's still not validated. They say they'll do it, and they'll email me, weird thing is they closed off the ticket??? aren't things done by ticket status, if the ticket is closed then how do they know it needs to be done...
FDC is nice and all, decent response times on tickets, usually within 5 minutes, I've had response times with other companies(registrar) avg time was a day.
Anyhow I must be driving them nuts with all the tickets I've opened up, don't think it's any fault of my own though. Like I said earlier I'm not sure If I should stick with them or not, Is this typical? or is it just my bad luck, or is it just FDC??? Any thoughts or oppinions or anyone using FDC wanting to chime in on their experience, good bad or otherwise.