Thread: Price of IP's

Price of IP's

Hello,

I have been host for a month with www.inetbridge.net. Don't me get wrong, there service is great, website is never down and don't never wait longer than 6 hours for response. BUT, when I ask for the price for IP I am told that there cost was $5 extra per month.

I don't understand why everyone here offer IP's for a buck each. Is there not control on the price of IP's? I want it as I want to use my SSL certificate without need to upgrade from yearly plan. My friend at work say you need your own IP for own SSL.

They just want quite a bit of profit on their IPs.

I think for the host, there is:
    1. A annual membership fee of $500.00
    2. Plus a purchase of the smallest allocation of IPs, which I believe is $2 250 / year.

I don't blame the host for charging, in fact I think its great, and it shows they have there bases covered.

I don't understand why everyone here offer IP's for a buck each. Is there not control on the price of IP's? I want it as I want to use my SSL certificate without need to upgrade from yearly plan. My friend at work say you need your own IP for own SSL.
    1) They could be a reseller who is getting charged a lot for that IP.

2) They could just be using the price to deter people from requesting them and pushing to keep a name-based account. IPs are getting harder to get for IPv4. Charging for IPs will make sure peole carefully allocate IPs.

With that being said, $5.00 seems high. Contact them and ask them for a break. Tell them it is for SSL and not just because you want one.

it could also be the fact that they may have to pay a setup fee on every IP they order.
    Or when they order IP's they have to order them in blocks.
    http://www.STX-Hosting.com
    .:: Professional Web-Hosting ::.
    .:: Top Dedicated Support !!! ::.
    .:: [email protected] ::.

I pay alot for my IP's so I pass them at cost to my clients.

don't forget there is a huge fee from ARIN for your ip's.
    I am Mike From ADEHOST.Com, Multidomain Windows hosting with Cold Fusion and ASP and Dot.NET Also offering multi-domain Unix hosting. silently, each one should ask, Have I done my daily task. Have I kept my honor bright, can I sleep without guilt tonight. Have I done and have I did, everything, to be prepared. - our motto to maintain services.

I get my ips for about $.50/month each
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

There is a large fee but you also get a large number of IP's. It costs less than $1 per year for IP's from ARIN. Charging $1 a month is quite a nice profit center. Charging $5 a month is damn near highway robbery.

$5/mo is very steep, especially when you have a justifyable need (your SSL cert) that requires a dedicated IP address. IMHO, if the customer has a truely justifyable need for the IP address, the customer should be given the IP address for free, or [should only have to pay] the actual cost of the IP.

Also, while ARIN is pretty expensive, but you also have to consider that the smallest block ARIN will allocate is a /19, which is about 8100 IPs. The overall cost per IP address is very low.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Interland/Dialtone both give their IP's for free now on Dedicateds. Some advantage for being so large is you can do some things like that since they recoup their costs elsewhere.
    Gary H
    www.Spry.com
    Home of the Root Server

Also, while ARIN is pretty expensive, but you also have to consider that the smallest block ARIN will allocate is a /19, which is about 8100 IPs. The overall cost per IP address is very low.
    I thought is was a /20 or 16 Class Cs (4096 IPs) for $2500/yr.

Originally posted by UmBillyCord

I thought is was a /20 or 16 Class Cs (4096 IPs) for $2500/yr.

Doh! It does look like ARIN will assign a /20. I think the price is the same though for a /19 (the ARIN fee schedule page is a little confusing ...)

http://www.arin.net/registration/fee_schedule.html is the URL for anyone interested.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

We get our IPs cheap/free but we still charge a hefty setup fee for virtual hosting, unless the client has a justifiable need and th eonly one that cuts it with us, is SSL. For dedicated/colo the client has to meet RIPE guidelines on IP allocation, the same as we do now.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

Must be getting old to have missed this one. I am co-located and that is the price I pay per IP over and above my first 5 free ones that I got from the NOC. That is my cost price as hard as it is to swollow.

Sorry UmBillyCord I am not a reseller bud.

Also, just a thought.. A lot of upstream providers include IP's into their leased lines so you are able to get IP's from them to use and then negotiate prices with them... this enables you as a colocator to not pay as many fees to Arin...

Some upstreams (premium) they are free. We just looked into a local company here that provides $299/mo T1's with loop included, but thier IP's were $1,079 per Class C.....

Sprint on the other hand it is free for the IP's.

Something else to consider into all of this, you may get the IP's free, but do not forget the router and the resources that they use to hold and route the IP's. RAM for a Cisco router is not cheap at all, and with 2 class C's, you are needing 32MB at least to make sure your router does not slow your network down at all....

IP's are usually free of charge from Datacenters.
    Kaumil P.

Originally posted by NodeHost
    Some upstreams (premium) they are free. We just looked into a local company here that provides $299/mo T1's with loop included, but thier IP's were $1,079 per Class C.....

Sprint on the other hand it is free for the IP's.

Something else to consider into all of this, you may get the IP's free, but do not forget the router and the resources that they use to hold and route the IP's. RAM for a Cisco router is not cheap at all, and with 2 class C's, you are needing 32MB at least to make sure your router does not slow your network down at all....
    excelent point
    the router ram is an expensive piece

Mike
    I am Mike From ADEHOST.Com, Multidomain Windows hosting with Cold Fusion and ASP and Dot.NET Also offering multi-domain Unix hosting. silently, each one should ask, Have I done my daily task. Have I kept my honor bright, can I sleep without guilt tonight. Have I done and have I did, everything, to be prepared. - our motto to maintain services.

Having 2 class C's of IP's doesn't mean you need more router memory at all.. If you think that, you need to pick up a networking/cisco book..