Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    52

    * How do these small ISPs afford an OC48?

    Is it BS? Are they sharing it with someone?

    I see quite a few of these "cheap hosts" offering OC12 and OC48 connectivity.... what gives?

    Isn't an OC48 like $20k/month?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Alabama of course
    Posts
    1,576
    They don't have them of course, they just claim they do or maybe the datacenter that they are hosted in has an Oc48
    KnownHost Managed VPS Specialists
    Fully Managed VPS, Hybrid,and Dedicated Servers
    KnownHost is hiring! Click here for more information!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    1,449
    Well, they can say they are connected to OC48 because maybe that's their datacenter can handle. I doubt that they pay by themselves for a connection like that.
    Kaumil P.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    1,449
    Whoop, Posted almost at the same time DanielP
    Kaumil P.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    52
    Kind of what I'm thinking... maybe it's there, they just aren't paying for all of it until they need it. Or it's being shared by other companies.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    New York/USA
    Posts
    1,690
    Well, they really don't have the OC-XX for themselves. If they have servers in a NOC, they will usually list what the NOC has and claim it as their own. Other times, they re-word the paragraph, not explicitly saying the connection is theirs but they utilize these types of connections. For example, you will find hosts who are in HE datacenters use the pictures from their site. You will also find hosts who have servers in NAC and use their backbone picture and connections.

    What it comes down to is that hosts tell their customers what their network is comprised of, not necessarily what they have.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    1,449
    Well, those little companies, might be resellers of bigger companies that actually have it or like you said, have the potential, but don't use all of it.
    Kaumil P.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    52
    Originally posted by teck
    Well, they really don't have the OC-XX for themselves. If they have servers in a NOC, they will usually list what the NOC has and claim it as their own. Other times, they re-word the paragraph, not explicitly saying the connection is theirs but they utilize these types of connections. For example, you will find hosts who are in HE datacenters use the pictures from their site. You will also find hosts who have servers in NAC and use their backbone picture and connections.

    What it comes down to is that hosts tell their customers what their network is comprised of, not necessarily what they have.
    Ahhh ok... makes perfect sense.

    So do each of these companies have their own "space" within the data centers, that other ISPs can't get to?

    Or can company A walk over to company B's server rack and wreak havoc?


    Sorry for the newbie questions, just trying to figure this all out.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Orlando Florida
    Posts
    538
    Usually they are caged and monitored by security. If you are in a datacenter you usually are escorted to your cage and then locked into it lol. They shouldnt be able to be touched by others. Now yes some data cetners have low security and they will not have cages and stuff.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    24,009
    Originally posted by DanielP
    They don't have them of course, they just claim they do or maybe the datacenter that they are hosted in has an Oc48
    *GOBSMACKED*

    You mean they don't own the 250 Million dollar datacenter like their site says??
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    52
    Originally posted by cedwards
    Usually they are caged and monitored by security. If you are in a datacenter you usually are escorted to your cage and then locked into it lol. They shouldnt be able to be touched by others. Now yes some data cetners have low security and they will not have cages and stuff.
    Heheh a tech zoo... I'm there!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Orlando Florida
    Posts
    538
    i know its quite funny really...its like your on a leash taken to your cage and then if you bad they whip you and if you want out you have to call for the zookeeper to realease you.

    Not all data centers are like that though...some are more where they let you goto your cage by your self and you have a key to your cage and others just dont even have caged space and basically if someoen wanted to hurt your server they could but normally they have cameras and that guy would be caught.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,304

    Re: How do these small ISPs afford an OC48?

    Originally posted by james555
    Isn't an OC48 like $20k/month?
    Maybe for the loop. Port charges would be, oh, $350,000/month unless you work a good deal.

    Hosts are usually referring to 1) the fiber loop in the building, 2) the fiber loop used by their provider, 3) some circuits their backbone provider has somewhere upstream, or 4) their dreams.

    Kevin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •