directing port to different port

Hi,

one of my clients smtp port is blocked by local ISP. how could I setup some other port to use this service.

please help.

thanks

hi

None here to here to help me?

i sent you a pm
    Anthony LaMantia
    http://www.bia-security.com

Hello all.

Although this is my first post to the WHT, I have been lurking for a long time and I have learned a lot. What a great place!

With the information that I have learned here, I have opened a small reseller account for hosting my own small professional and hobby sites and those of friends and family. It's worked out pretty well.

However, my own isp blocks port 25, and I am finding that most other isp's do, too, to reduce spam (which I heartily support).

In any event, considering the all alternatives, what I really want to do is to open a port other than port 25 so that pop clients can be configured to use the smtp servers even when port 25 is blocked by the isp. I notice that many web hosts do that. (For example, Verio: http://www.verio.com/support/view_ar...m?doc_id=1715, and even (ugh!) powweb: http://www.powweb.com/faqs/?category...il&faq_id=194.)

I'm pretty pleased with the company that hosts my reseller account. Even so, tech support was of no help (I don't think that they understood the issue).

I have been looking here on the WHT and on the web for an article that might tell me how to configure the smtp servers to do this, but I haven't yet found one. Unfortunately, I do not know how to code without very specific instructions. Furthermore, the last thing that I want to do is to screw up in a way that affects anyone else's websites on the server. (I have read many a horror story on the WHT.)

All this being said, can anyone help me to find a write-up that I can follow to set up an alternative port? (Or perhaps a script that would do it?)

Thanks for any help that you can provide, and I hope that with this first post I haven't made any dumb newbie mistakes.

Regards to all,

John
    No good deed goes unpunished.

Oops. I see that the comma fouled up the Verio link. It should be: http://www.verio.com/support/view_ar...fm?doc_id=1715 . Sorry about that.
    No good deed goes unpunished.

Originally posted by cove

All this being said, can anyone help me to find a write-up that I can follow to set up an alternative port? (Or perhaps a script that would do it?)
    What's your MTA (mail transfer agent)? Sendmail? Qmail? Exim? Postfix? The instructions will depend on what you're running. You can also seek a forum specific to users of that MTA; likely it's already been written up there.

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin! This is progress!

The MTA is sendmail. Following your suggestion, I found this information: http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html#3.39. Unfortunately, I don't understand how to do what it says to do.

John

You might consider also offering SSMTP on port 465 using stunnel.

Stunnel is really easy to set up, and most email clients support SSMTP.

I think the best option is that you just recommend that they use their ISP's SMTP servers, if they'll go for that.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

They are referring to editing the sendmail.cf file (bad idea) or editing the source and generating a new one (good idea).
    Spend some time and learn how to do it.
    Good fun with the right attitude.

The sendmail.cf file should be treated as a binary and never edited directly. Yes, I've gotten away with it too. For years. But if it chokes/bombs, whatever and you don't know how to use m4 you are absolutley, totally, completely at the mercy of whoever can fix your machine.
    And the backup you made w/ tar ? Did it change all the tabs to spaces? You're sure? Not what happened to me.

Personally, I loathe sendmail with a passion because of it's needless complexity, lousy security and instability.
    But Qmail/MTA holy wars are not part of this thread.
    GUI admin tools have no honor. It is a good day to vi.

iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -j DNAT -d 66.66.66.66 -p tcp --dport 80 --to 66.66.66.66:22

Of course put your own IPs in and change the according ports...
    -Mat Sumpter
    Director, Product Engagement
    Penton Media

Originally posted by cove
    The MTA is sendmail. Following your suggestion, I found this information: http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html#3.39. Unfortunately, I don't understand how to do what it says to do.
    I haven't run sendmail in several years, so I can't be of any further assistance. Sendmail experts should be in this thread hopefully.

Kevin

Many thanks to all...

...for your responses. I can see that I'm way over my head, but it is useful to know that.

Prohack: you have the simplest fix, but I don't have my own IP address. If I got my own IP address for me and my customers, would the fix work for all, or would each customer need his/her own IP address?

I agree that the simplest way would be to convince ten users to change their ISP's, but they are unlikely to do that. Even I am having trouble finding an ISP that doesn't block port 25. It seems just about all of them do anymore. However, I'm not complaining because I applaude anti-spam measures.

I found one ISP that is unsatisfactory due to price, but *filters port 25 for spam* and does not block port 25. This seems to be a very sensible solution to me, and I wish all other ISP's would follow suit.

Meanwhile, I think the best thing for me is to hire sometime to create a script or a step-by-step instruction for me (talking to me like I'm four years old), but which I can use on all of my domains.

Incidentally, I've been unsuccessful in using my own ISP's smtp server. (Even if I were willing to have an unprofessional-sounding entry in the email headers. I'm always amused by someone who has a website at "joesmithmd.com" with an email address of "[email protected]," even if it's only within the header.) And I *like" my isp with fast connects, no busy signals, truly unlimited monthly usage, and a cheap price to boot.

Thanks again to all for your help.

John

"I don't know what I'm doing, but at least I know it."