* Spam friendly host?

Please DO NOT think anything wrong... I am not a spammer...

But, I run a free hosting website, and sometime spammers signup, and make free website with me. I get information through complaints, only when they have spammed. My current host is VERY strict againt spamming, and many a times shut down my server.

So, I am looking for a host, who is NOT so strict.

I have heard HE and YIPES are not as strict as COGENTCO (read the FDC looong thread), but they are the backbone.

I need a HOST, who does NOT cut.

VIKTOR

Try geocities...
    --
    Speckz

well, i see most of the larger spams i get hosted at rackspace, try out there.

That will be some expensive !
    --
    Speckz

HE is also too strict. YOu should go with Yipes. Please note though that this recommendation is so you are not booted because of stupid clients. It is NOT intended for Spam.

Hi viktor,
    You say that your server is pulled when something wrong happens, but if you do this at rackshack, your server won't be back for ever.
    Your current host maybe still good for your purpose?

I'm interested in running a free webhost.
    Maybe I will PM you later, thanks.

Why not just use FDC we all know they dont fight spam.

Wmm.
    I've never used FDC, I think they will be more strict.
    What do you think?

Let's say that some of hosting clients have spammed, and the server admin terminated the site in question, and dealt with all the complaints.
    Will this be fine, and the server be back online again?

I donít think FDC can afford the man power to fight spam at the level they need to with the prices they charge. Fighting Spam is a full time job if you have several hundred servers.

Problem is you the host may never see the spam complaints unless your host is passing this info along to you.

First to get notified will be the ip block owners in the case of FDC it would be Yipes, they will turn around and send their customer in this case FDC the complaints, then it is up to FDC to send the complaint to you the host and stay on top of it till its resolved or go in and remove the spammer their self.

Now if anybody drops the ball you the host will have your ipís black listed and your Provider stands the risk of loosing their connection like FDC did.

Viktor,

Why dont you take control of your network then and illiminate the spam problem as much as you can? when sites are setup on your network that spam, set filters to ban the various files they use or if they go to link to certain previously spammed websites, have it auto-term the account. Have it check the connecting IP to see if they are using a Proxy server to connect to you and ban the proxy and the IP of the spammer when they setup.

If you dont want to host spammers even though you do freehosting it is easy for you to control it. Spammers will not continually come back to your network if they know it wont last for long, they need to make their payday to exist...

dont fix the symptons fix the problem. stop spam from leaving your system, youll never find a happy home with a spam generating server. its like trying to find an apartment where the landlord doesnt mind you shooting up, you wont end up somewhere nice. your better off spending some money on an admin to block the spam.
    --
    Rich

Just to clarify,

Dont jsut stop it from originating from your server, Spamvertised Sites are persued the SAME way by abuse departments from your upstream. Any relationship with your network and SPAM is a violations of 99% of Network AUPs.

I thought about this. The best way to take care of it is by making the sites admin approved befor signing up. You think a spammer wants to wait for all that?
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

Originally posted by davidb
    I thought about this. The best way to take care of it is by making the sites admin approved befor signing up. You think a spammer wants to wait for all that?
    You can do that, and also eliminate things like sendmail from the server..

Disable the mail() function in PHP, or just remove sendmail from the system, or change the permissions for it so it can't be used by the user...

Time and time again I see people saying how to make sure the mail doesn't originate from your server. But what if the Spammed website is on yourserver do you consider that wrong? I am sure your ISP and the rest of the world does

Originally posted by Just_Kp

Time and time again I see people saying how to make sure the mail doesn't originate from your server. But what if the Spammed website is on yourserver do you consider that wrong? I am sure your ISP and the rest of the world does

As long as the content is legal, and its not compromising the security of my server or my other customers.. I don't give a damn what their site is If they aren't spamming from my server its not my problem really, and its not my place to terminate people for things they do else where...

BTW: This thread is about a free host, and being a free host, why would you ever want to allow these people to use mail funcitions thats just asking for trouble with spam....

just_kp, I was in that position. I had my line cut and the mail never once came from me, just the web site. The answer is that its your fault, and in fact it was mine. If I had admin proved the sites, my line prob would not have been cut. Its just how it goes
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

Yeah, It From the post above yours I can see why time and time again Webhosts get their lines pulled and sit around saying " But if never came from my IP, I just hosted the site"

Well, for anyone who wants to know, there are three parts to a spammer making his money. He sends from a mailserver his own or Open relay, the DNS for the site being spamvertised, and the site being spamvertised. All 3 are against any Tier 1 Providers AUP.

So it doesnt matter if you don't care, if the tier 1 is enforcing their policy they will make you pull it or just pull you.

Wmm.
    I've never used FDC, I think they will be more strict.
    What do you think?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    waht a joke. They should be more strickt now