Question What name for my hosting company?

Hello,

I am considering a name for my hosting company, I would your input and opinion on what I should use.

I was thinking of EDIT: ***NAME DELETED*** but, it's a little long what do you think. I want a name with 'host' in the name and web site url, but short and to the point.

Thanks!

David
    Last edited by CCF Hosting; 10-29-2002 at 10:17 PM.
    David Garza
    CCF Web Hosting - Where Customers Come First!
    Phone: 1.630.885.9009 | Email: david(a)ccfhosting.com
    MSN: dgarza(a)ccfhosting.com | AIM: CCF DGarza | ICQ: 51140109

Try to do it yourself first, spend at least an hour looking for a dot com you like and can work with. If the dot net is avalible to that's a plus. Be creative - but try to pick a short and easy to spell one.

Failing that - look in www.DeletedDomains.com - you might find a few expired ones that you can use.

Failing that - ask for domains with prices, or look in the "related offers" forum - some nice ones get offered their. It's where I baught one of my favorites for $30

Thanks for your reply! I will do that!

If anyone else has suggestions, please pass them forward.

Thanks!
    David Garza

I'd be careful about posting potential company names or domains.

See this thread.

yjack

Another option if you aren't aware of it, is to use nameboy.com... it has a fairly decent script where you enter a couple of your keywords, and wha la... it'll spit out several pages of potential names for you to look at.

Don't take it personal, but if anyone had a good name, they would buy it most likely... instead of giving it away.

Good Luck

Originally posted by shoney
    Another option if you aren't aware of it, is to use nameboy.com... it has a fairly decent script where you enter a couple of your keywords, and wha la... it'll spit out several pages of potential names for you to look at.
    Nameboy.com is really cool..
    I found some of my best names with nameboy...

I think I found a domain name, I am not going to mention it on the forums but, it has the word host and hosting in it (two seperate domains) and the first domain is 7 char. and the 2nd domain is 10 char. Which each domain will forward to each other. hehe

So, I think I found it! Please keep telling me your suggestions, I like all of them. If anyone knows of another domain name finder, please let me know!

Thanks!
    David Garza

You probably allready did but it's better registering both .com and .net TDLs for those new domain names...

I also like buydomains.com's script. try to search for a domain name and it will give you pages of alternatives... nice one...
    Just fooling around...

Hello,

The domain is avialable, and my name is not already taken in the DBA search for my state.

But, here are a few questions:

1) Do I need to incorperate my business, even though I am working out of my home and just starting off? If so, how do I incorperate my business (I would like to do it my self to save the most money)?

2) Do I need to register my business name with the County Clerk's Office?

3) Since I am providing virtual services ONLY do I have to pay taxes on the money I get, even if I am working out of my home? If so, how would the minor set this up?

4) If a minor were to start a hosting business, would the minor have to pay taxes? If so, how would the minor set this up?

5) What are ALL of the legal things I have to do when I start my business?

6) Should I purchase the 866 number that best fits my company name? If so, do you recommend a place that doesn't charge a monthly fee (I wouldn't be receiving any calls on it at first), with low rates?

EDIT: 7) If I must incorporate my business should I go with LLC, or INC, and which one is better (cheapest)?

If there is ANYTHING I missed like, I mean anything pertaining to starting a business, please let me know.

Thank YOU very much!

Ps. I have ***host and ***hosting I want to register the domain, should I purchase both of those, forward them to each other and then purchase the .net version of them too?
    David Garza

im wondering the same thing as you.. im also starting my own hosting buiness.. i just need some money on the side while i go to school

My suggestion would be first to find a good accountant. It does not cost that much and they can prob. give you a lot of advice on what you can/could do.

The can also prob. expain the pro's/con's of incorporating (both "C" and "S" corps) as well as LLC's.

Then if you need it, a good lawyer can help you setup your Corp or LLC with minimal costs. This is something that you can do yourself, but professional help never hurts.

Frank
    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    UmbraHosting.com

If you're interested in incorporating yourself, here's a few sites to go look for information. Be aware that individual State filing fees are NOT included.

Incorporation Ket Store

Click & Inc.

Inc.com

Corporate-Kits-Online

Powers Enterprises Law Lizard

1-2-3-Incorporate

Hello,

Thank You all for your replies. I have decided not to inc. or llc, or anything else my company until is get's going. What a waste it would be to spend like $200 and then the company falls thrue.

Thanks again!
    David Garza

Very telling words

I have decided not to inc. or llc, or anything else my company until is get's going. What a waste it would be to spend like $200 and then the company falls thrue.
    That makes it sound like you aren't fully commited to your planned hosting effort.

I call this to your attention, because if you aren't then you should stop now while you're ahead. We see dozens of hobby hosts come through here every week and disappear sometime thereafter. Generally, when they give up, they are over their heads in debt, have angry customers everywhere, have threats of legal action, and have had their psyche destroyed by the events.

Those who are successful are those who go in knowing the required effort, knowing they will have to invest, knowing it will be extremely slow at first, knowing it may take some time to turn even the smallest profit, knowing the painstaking effort required to provide good customer service.

If that describes you, I wish you the best of luck. If it doesn't, I suggest rethinking this. Admittedly, I may be reading more than I should into your statement, but I was taken aback by "what a waste it would be to spend like $200 and then the company falls through." (Hope you don't mind the spelling correction).

Incognito,

Thank You for your reply. I totally understand where you are coming from. And yes, it does sound bad saying

what a waste it would be to spend like $200 and then the company falls through.
    But, we have put in over $150 of our money, to start the hosting company (This is within 3 days, of the idea.; started Friday night; two days) So, we don't plan on going cheap on everything, but since we are just starting up, we can't expect loans, investors, etc... We want to get going small and work our way up. We are not worried about Inc. our selves at the very moment, since we have more important things to worry about (Not the mention the domain's haven't even propagated, lol).

We will do this very soon, believe me! I really appreciate everything!
    David Garza

Originally posted by Mind-Field
    But, we have put in over $150 of our money, to start the hosting company (This is within 3 days, of the idea.; started Friday night; two days) So, we don't plan on going cheap on everything,

LoL, If you think 150 is alot of money your in for a big surprise.. There are alot of resources for Small businesses to use. Many are free, you may want to contact your local small business authorities and see what they offer. If your a minor, and depending on your state regulations, you most likely cannot enter into contracts, verbal or written. So that puts ALOT of trust on the people that chose to host with you, because if anything should go wrong, they have no one to blame/sue etc...Or it'd be very hard to hold you accountable.. Also being incorporated, depending on type, can protect you from being sued individually..

Creating a corporation is for your protection as well as creating a better image for yourself. As a customer if i see someone is an INC. i realize that they at least spent the money and have alittle more thought into this. A trick though is to create a ficticous name with Inc at the end to mislead people.

When I first started out, i paid 1000 for accounting software, CPA (an accountant would be fine and cheaper) i used was 150/hr, then you add in fax line/ phone line, office supplies.. And i was doing this out of my home. So if you think 150 is alot, its not... Others have employees to hire/pay, office space, etc..

I wish you the best of luck, but this is not some kind of get rich quick business..

Thanks for your suggestions!

You have to understand that, our domains haven't even propagated, so that shows HOW NEW our business is. Just about 48 hours old. LOL

So, employies at this time is not going to work. LOL, they will support no one.

Anyways, thanks again for your support. I will look into Inc.'ing my self and my company.
    David Garza

Question

I have a small question for you, and I'm asking merely out of curiosity.

If you'll be running your web hosting business from your home, what kind of connection are you using? Do you have a dedicated line going to your home, or will you be operating through your local DSL or Cable ISP? Most DSL / Cable ISPs forbid home servers in their TOS, so I was just wondering.

Hello,

Me personally I am on Satellite high-speed connection (Which the latency is enough to make spammers get sick of spamming me ).
    And I am not running the server from my home. The server is located at BurstNet and maybe going to be placed at Colo4Dallas or 56 Mariata. If you would care to comment on those data centers, please do.

Thank You all for your help!
    David Garza

Originally posted by Mind-Field

But, we have put in over $150 of our money, to start the hosting company (This is within 3 days, of the idea.; started Friday night; two days) So, we don't plan on going cheap on everything, but since we are just starting up, we can't expect loans, investors, etc... We want to get going small and work our way up. We are not worried about Inc. our selves at the very moment, since we have more important things to worry about (Not the mention the domain's haven't even propagated, lol).

We will do this very soon, believe me! I really appreciate everything!
    I dumped around $600 into starting a company, and I decided it wasn't even worth it after I kept doing research.... money well spent though, I learned a lot.

You should be doing research and all the meanwhile saving as much money as you can, and by the time you're done researching (took me over 5 months...) you should have plenty to do it *properly*. Just my opinion, i'm a tech guy... knew zilch about business, still only know the basics from my research, if that says anything...

Hello,

I am also partnering with my Uncle; he has been in business for over 30 years offering radio and television booking (GOOD FORM OF AVDERTISING FOR BOOK AUTHORS/PUBLISHERS). He was a millionaire by the age of 21. He sold art painting’s, now he offer's services. He owned a company with MANY employees, and one of his many businesses he runs now is worth OVER 100,000K, not sure about the exact price.

He has some VERY good business ethics, and know-how is also sponsoring my business, which is his also.

I am hoping to get to gather with him, today to write up some prices, review the new page design, write a business plan and hopefully write up some policies.

I would still like everyone’s advice on this matter.
    Little note: My domain just propgated for me today. YEAH!!!!

Thank You!
    David Garza