Hi, my name is Andrei. I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
I am planning to start my own Internet based business service. Software is purely java (80% ready and tested). I would like to set-up dedicated server (in my home) because I need full control of the hardware. According to my plan I will need three servers (Linux for example). Main server, backup server, and application server (DB, SMS gateway, mail server, logs). Main server should be very powerful one, as it is usually required for java (e.g. two processors with lot of memory). My challenges are:
1. I am not sure about my first steps from technical point of view. More precisely, say I have my servers running and in full operation mode so I can use it from my local home network. What steps I have to take to connect them to internet (finding provider, buying ip and domain name)? Anyone can help me with more precise list of steps (and/or references) and recommend better provider in Toronto?
2. Security concern. Any good references for protecting my dedicated server from various attacks from outside. This question is not about Lunix security but rather about hardware and networking (buying routers, setting up DMZ etc)?

Any help or advices will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Andrei