I should stop reading the news

This is another article that seems like a waste of space in my opinion:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/TV/1...eut/index.html

HOLLYWOOD, California (Reuters) -- The National Organization for Women decried the six major networks as catering to an "adolescent boy's fantasy world" in its third annual report on how women are portrayed on prime-time TV, Variety reports.

Am I missing something? Is there something wrong with selling what sells? Sex

Network programming sends a distorted, often offensive image of women, girls and people of color brought to you through the point-of-view of white men and boys," said NOW Foundation president Kim Gandy. "Television remains very much a man's world, with women serving primarily as eye candy."

Ok, this is just BS. You want to talk about offensive, lets look at some shows. Anyone ever watch "Titus". Now that was just degrading to me. I am a male, and the main charectors in the movie, titus, and his bro more or less, were just idiots most of the time. Oh look, thats not the only show eaither. Take a look at the simpsons, I mean Homer is just a fool(but the best charector ever) along with with all the other males, Im mean, just look at all the male simpsons.

As a result, I am going to get together and complain about how all males are the same in every movie. They are made to look like idiots to get laughs. Oh and dont forget friends(I saw threee edisodes about 2 months ago), talk about a bunch of idiots also. I mean, Im suprised any of them could even hold a job.

What am I getting at? The fact that it sells. People like it. I mean, is there anyway people can ever be happy with whats on TV. Also, it is no different for guys eaither.
    They say "female characters presented fell into the "Jennifer Aniston" standard of beauty"

And what, tv is full of ugly men? They should really learn what sells, and that the TV world is just a buisness.

Ok, I gotta go to class, adios
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

I think that most of the shows mentioned are just plain stupid (I'm a TLC/Discovery Channel geek myself).

I also think NOW sucks, just like any extremist group, so I just might watch one of those programs listed as a Grade "F", if nothing more than to annoy NOW.

Re: I should stop reading the news

Originally posted by davidb
    This is another article that seems like a waste of space in my opinion:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/TV/
    Uh... wrong thread title. That's not "the news."
    Am I missing something? Is there something wrong with selling what sells? Sex
    Of course there's nothing wrong with it. There's not anything wrong with someone, person or group, complaining about it, either.

Is it news? Nope... but you're reading the "showbiz" section. If I sat at home and watched "Entertainment Tonight" I wouldn't be complaining that there's not enough coverage of the world's important news events. On the other hand, if I saw that article on the front page of The New York Times, I'd probably be ready to rant.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

I guess I call it news cause I found the link on cnn.com
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

Originally posted by davidb
    I guess I call it news cause I found the link on cnn.com
    LOL. There's you're mistake.

I like JayC response. Perhaps if each news channel, paper, etc would only be able to present the same story 10 times, we would have much thinner papers and no 24-hr TV news channels.

That's the problem with the media these days. There's not enough news to go around. Let's help solve the problem and go out and make some news!
    Last edited by Gordo; 10-29-2002 at 04:41 PM.