Question New control panel idea

I was thinking about control panels in general and had an idea, and thought I would get some imput from you guys.

What if instead of the control panels beeing web-based, they would be true client/server. The users would download a little application that they would use to maintain their website. This application would talk to a server application running on the host machine, that would handle configuration commands sent from the client. Implementation issues aside, I want to look at this from the user perspective. Is it feasable to expect the users to dowload a small application to maintain their websites? One of the things that really lead me to thinking about this is that it would lead to reduced bandwidth consumption, while providing a clean interface. What do you guys think?

--
    Chuck

From a usability perspective, I think it's bound to fail since A. users don't like to download and setup new software and B. it goes against the well-established paradigm of browser-based clients.

Consider also all of us poor people with 56K connections (who are lucky when they're connected at 44K). I think a client/server process would eat up a lot more b/w.
    In 1982, I thought PCDOS was better than VIC20.
    In 1993, I thought OS2 was better than Windows 3.1.
    In 2007, I don't know what to think.

http://www.*********.com/

EDIT: Well it seems they are banned.

Anyway there is a setup such as this which is used with the CPanel control panel.
    <?
    header("Location: http://www.hostevolve.com/");
    ?>

A few things to consider:

You would have a one time download of, say a few megs, if even that. After that initial download, there would be very little bandwidth consumed. Compare to a web based browser where each time you access a page, it download all of the images and everything. You also wouldn't have the limitations of a web-based product that could be much more user-friendly.

As for breaking from the norm, I understand that. That is why I am asking for opinions here to see if it would be somthing that would be beneficial. Just becase it is breaking from a tradition doesn't make it bad.

Thank you for the input so far. Please keep it coming!

--
    Chuck

I like the ability to log in and check my stats, read my emails from anywhere in the world, something a program can't really offer.

some people might like it as an extra feature, but web based would deff need to be included. Might want to try a program, like with a few features in it, then see how people think about it.
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

Well

Well, lets say you want to add a feature to the control panel? do some changes? Wont they need to redownload the client? What if they are using an os that just has a browser and there is no version of your software available? - you need to make a mac, windows, linux, freebsd etc version
    Last edited by MaB; 10-29-2002 at 03:49 PM.
    Avi Brender
    Reliable Web Hosting by Elite Hosts, Inc
    CPANEL Reseller Hosting - Fantastico - Rvskins - ClientExec

Originally posted by athier
    Just becase it is breaking from a tradition doesn't make it bad.
    No, but I think something can be said for the fact that none of the major control panel vendors have implemented client software. Again from a usability perspective it makes no sense as users are comfortable with the web paradigm (browsers, widgets, hyperlinks), while generally resistant to downloading and learning new software.

From a implementation perspective it makes even less sense since, as MaB mentioned, ensuring compatibility between server and client apps is a PITA for everyone involved.

Bandwidth is cheap, so I don't think the bandwidth you'd save would offset all the disadvantages.

The company that is starred out is C.P.A.N.E.L.Gui

a client-server app with a good gui beats a thin client app any day. the feedback time is much shorter, complex validation logic can be placed into the presentation layer etc. the advantages are huge.

granted, some would still want to use the web version, so i would think having both would be a big plus.

cheers,
    paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

Well the biggest problem may be remote usability. Say your at the office or on the road for business or just any number of reasons your not at your pc, with the web based function you can still tweak your site.
    Greg Landis | Founder Jaguarpc - Keeping websites happy since 1998
    Managed IT Solutions - Business hosting | Virtual Private Servers | Cloud VPS Hosting | Dedicated servers | Backup service
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | Twitter: @JaguarPC | (888)-338-5261 | sales @ jaguarpc.com

i did say that two version should be needed. as for mobile usability, how about a live cd? just pop it in the cdrom, double-click and you are good.

cheers,
    paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

That and also, web-based clients can be used on virtually any computer, any where in the world, any time, no waiting either. Just point click, and done.

Applications are more programming, more testing, in the end it won't compete with the web-based stuff. If you noticed, a lot more stuff is becoming web-based than application-based.
    Kaumil P.

Lots more work and maintenance with very little returns. I'd scratch that idea personally.

Most traditional software that you download and install is moving towards web based versions instead. It is much easier to maintain updates, correct bugs, and obviously you can access it from anywhere. That has to say something about the whole goal of software in general. I really do think most programs will be run through a web browser in a few years. Hosting control panels are just ahead of the trend.
    Justin Bachus
    BlastHosting, LLC - Professional web hosting at a low price with
    PHP, MySQL, FreeBSD, and more!
    http://www.blasthosting.com