Thread: Apache2 problem

Apache2 problem

I've got one of those ispeed.com VPS things going. I installed apache2 on it (2.0.43 I think) and it runs fine. However, I can't load anything from a web browser that is over 254 bytes. That includes images, text files, whatever. If it's under 254 bytes, it loads. If it's over 254 bytes, it won't load.

iSpeed swears it's not the VPS, but I can get Apache2 running on another VPS (non-iSpeed) with the exact same configure string (which is simple: ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache2 --enable-module=so).

I thought it may have been a resource issue, so I upgraded to their uber 256 plan, but still have the same problem -- even after a reboot and recompile.

Anyone know what might cause this odd behavior?

Are you using linux??

if does try this, not sure works

/home/tmp/apache/src/include/httpd.h
    under #define

HARD_SERVER_LIMIT 256 change to #define
    HARD_SERVER_LIMIT 2048 then edit your apache

good luck

hse,

how is this relevant at all? hard_server_limit specifies how many apache processes can be forked maximum and has nothing to do with the size of stuff you can download.

allera: any error messages? does it just not load, skip, or does the apache process get terminated?

cheers,
    paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

Yes, this is Linux, RH 7.2.

Originally posted by rusko
    any error messages? does it just not load, skip, or does the apache process get terminated?
    I get a partial transfer error in the logs (206, I think). Then for each successive load I get a 304 (unmodified), which is fine with me. The first load, in the case of images, I get that 'broken image' image (the red x). With each successive reload, I get a blank page.

I got apache2 to work fine on a FreeBSD VPS elsewhere; I'm going to try on their Linux implementation of the VPS as well. Apache 1.3.27 works fine on the iSpeed RH72 VPS, so I'll just use that and play with apache2 elsewhere.

Thanks for the replies, all
    Alex Llera
    Professional Server Management
    FreeBSD|Linux|HSphere|Cpanel|Plesk